Options

Expected to pay for hen night I didn't go on and gave warning I couldn't

ChibiCandiChibiCandi Posts: 966
Forum Member
✭✭
Okay I was invited to a hen party weekend I originally agreed to go on before any other details were finalised When I found out what the weekend involved I wasn't keen to go in the end (the activities and cost were the main issue) and gave a month warning to the organiser saying I can't go which they never read (Facebook messenger) after the weekend came and went I assumed it was all fine because I had given notice. Spoke to the groom about final details about the wedding and he said I still owed the person money for the trip which I never went on. I asked them about it and they just gave me their bank details but never took the courtesy to read my older messages saying I can't come. What's my position on this? It was weird the groom saying I owed money but the organiser never mentioned anything since. Thanks everyone

Comments

• Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Tricky one, if the message you sent saying you couldn't go wasn't read, then presumably they booked the event including you in the numbers and are subsequently out of pocket.

Next time you decline an invitation, put it in writing and send it in the post, and get proof of posting. Messaging people on facebook can often go wrong, the message you sent probably went into their 'other' folder.

How much are you expected to cough up?
  • Options
    ErythroleukosErythroleukos Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The answer depends on whether you want to remain friends with them. If you stump up the cash then they'll probably remain friends, if you don't then I'd expect any wedding invitation to go up in smoke.
    How much are we talking? £10? £50? £100? or more?
  • Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Next time you decline an invitation, put it in writing and send it in the post, and get proof of posting.
    You have got to be kidding. Oh, maybe not.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The groom must've already paid the full amount for everyone to the organiser so he needs to recoup his money from those that went.

Is it normal to communicate with the organiser via facebook, I thought you would normally email or contact them via their website?
  • Options
    AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How long passed between you agreeing to go and then saying you couldn't?
  • Options
    Jo09Jo09 Posts: 3,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would get people to pay as confirmation thus avoiding this situation. People always say they are going until it comes to paying then you really know where you are.

Did they call you when you didn't turn up or did they carry on regardless. How did you agree to go on the hen night? If it was through fb then declining on fb seems fair enough.
  • Options
    Wolfie_SmithWolfie_Smith Posts: 452
    Forum Member
    Tell them to whistle for it, the cheeky feckers
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a communication break down that may well end up costing you.
    I personally would have verbally let the person know, but that opinion is in hindsight now for you.
    It may be easier to just pay up if you value the friendship with the people involved.

I know a friend of mine once organised a hen bash, she paid the deposit on her card and just expected all the others to reimburse her their share.
    Two people then dropped out leaving her short, she never got the money off them but the other people on the trip split it between them so she did not have to cover the cost herself alone, now that was good friendships.
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm puzzled about why the groom is getting involved in arrangements over the hen night. Surely that is the responsibility of the bride and her female guests.

On the question of whether a FB message is a proper way to communicate - to me, that would depend on whether both parties are regular users with frequent contact on there, and the likelihood of the message being missed.
  • Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am puzzled too why the groom is involved ? Isnt it the bridesmaids job to organise it with the bride ?

How were you invited in the first place OP ? Was it via a FB message or via text or e mail or phone call ? Then I would tend to reply via the way it was messaged in the first place
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    A FB message is not a reliable method of communication. When you did not get a response from your cancellation you should have then chased it up using other means.

The last the organiser knew was your confirmation that you were going. So ultimately if she is out of pocket for this it is your fault and you should pay up.

It is bizarre the groom is getting involved though. Perhaps the organiser is secretly fuming but is too shy to confront you?
  • Options
    AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vast_Girth wrote: »
    It is bizarre the groom is getting involved though. Perhaps the organiser is secretly fuming but is too shy to confront you?

Sounds likely. The organiser has probably complained about it to the bride, she'll have been complaining about it at home, and he's trying to smooth things over.

I think a lot of it does come down to the timing - if you agreed to go six months in advance, then changed your mind with a month to go, it's not unreasonable that the organiser would've incurred some expenses in booking things. If it was a couple of days in between, then it may be a different story.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It sounds like you took a "Well I've sent a message, not my fault they've not read it" approach which is fine until they start asking for your money thinking you didn't turn up and gave no notice. Should have really called them. Not sure where you stand tbh. They've probably split the cost equally amongst all who went and consider you part of that split.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do think that, having given a month's notice in a FB message, if the organiser didn''t respond/acknowledge, then you should follow it up by other means of communication to make sure they are aware.
  • Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you told them you couldn't go did it ever cross your mind it was a bit strange you did not hear back from them?

Personally I would have made at least one further attempt to contact the organiser/bride (surely you have some other contact details) after maybe a week had passed to be sure they got the message I wasn't going.

There could be all manner of reasons your faceboob message never got through or read or whatever.

Though TBH I'm slightly surprised too there was no contact the other way either to send you finalised details or arranging where to meet etc :confused:

Hope none of you involved ever apply for a job organising tours of a brewery :p
  • Options
    SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tell them to whistle for it, the cheeky feckers
    This, absolutely. They shouldn't have a Facebook page if they're not going to read it regularly, especially when they're organising an event. They surely realise that some people will use it to contact them.

However, I wouldn't have accepted their bank details, OP. That implies you agree to payment, and has dug you deeper. Maybe speak to the organiser and see if they will accept splitting payment with you, as a compromise?
  • Options
    The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You said they have not read the message and at the same time you said you gave them notice.

If you knew they had not read the message you therefore knew you had not given them notice.

You knew there was cost involved (which you did) and you knew the person had not seen the message informing them that you would be able to attend then the sensible and logical thing to do would have been to follow up the previous message
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This, absolutely. They shouldn't have a Facebook page if they're not going to read it regularly, especially when they're organising an event. They surely realise that some people will use it to contact them.

However, I wouldn't have accepted their bank details, OP. That implies you agree to payment, and has dug you deeper. Maybe speak to the organiser and see if they will accept splitting payment with you, as a compromise?

I don't agree. Facebookers can use their account as much or as little as they like.
    I've got friends on there that don't look in from one years end to the next. I would never message them on there about something important.

Having said that, surely most people get a feel for how active their friends are on there and the likelihood of them picking up on messages.
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why didn't you actually SPEAK to them?
  • Options
    Javier_deVivreJavier_deVivre Posts: 1,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You told them you were not going, so tough on them. It isn't your fault they didn't read the message you sent them. You didn't send it the night before.

It annoys me when people preemptively pay for something before you agree to it only to them complain because you aren't going to pay them the money back.

As far as your friendship goes, it sounds as if they don't value you much anyway to have responded in such a way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Did the OP say there was a FB page about the party? They said they contacted the person though FB but did not see anything saying it was sorted out via FB.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    why didn't you actually SPEAK to them?

SPEAK to someone?????

Is that sort of thing allowed nowadays?
  • Options
    clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    Doesn't messenger show 'seen by..' when someone looks at a message?

Personally I would tell them to sing for it
  • Options
    YosemiteYosemite Posts: 6,192
    Forum Member
    The_don1 wrote: »
    SPEAK to someone?????

Is that sort of thing allowed nowadays?

Only for the over 40s it would seem.
  • Options
    shaddlershaddler Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So when you didn't turn up for the event, nobody thought to call you to see where you were? Surely if they were expecting you someone would have contacted you to see if everything was ok.

When you didn't get confirmation of your cancellation you should have followed it up.