oven dish dishes

statenislandstatenisland Posts: 635
Forum Member
✭✭
i am interested in ideas for vegetarian over-baked dishes.

things i usually make for the family are lasagne, macarone cheese, mossaka, cauliflower and broccoli cheese.i am really interested to hear about other similar dishes that are oven cooked/baked and suitable for vegetarians, it doesn't matter if they are all veg and cheese etc or if they use fake meats. the more ideas the better thankyou :)

Comments

• statenislandstatenisland Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oven baked (sorry) :)
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    aubergine parmigiana
    I've made it twice recently and it has been one of my favourite meals.

I slice the aubergine in fine polenta and then fry it until golden.
    Then do the layering up with tomato sauce and cheese. You can add potato and other veg in.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pasta-recipes/melanzane-alla-parmigiana-aubergine
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/10468/melanzane-parmigiana
    http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/chefs/hugh-fearnley-whittingstall/melanzane-parmigiana-recipe
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vegetarian sausage casserole - probably need to be started on the hob but can then be transferred to oven, or a veggie sausage, potato and roasted veg tray bake.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can use a whole mix of veg in a white or cheese sauce baked in the oven, I also make a lancashire hot pot using just a vegetable stew mix with a sliced potato topping.
    Vegetarian mince can be made in sheperds pie or many other oven baked dishes.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Veggie moussaka is really nice
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    there is a hundreds of curries that can be oven cooked after being started on the hob.
  • ee-ayee-ay Posts: 3,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheese and onion bread and butter pudding.

Loads of variations, my son adds Marmite to the bread as well as butter.

http://www.foodnetwork.co.uk/recipes/cheddar-gorgeous-cheese-and-onion-bread-and-butter-pudding-ru301346.html
  • Tess-gTess-g Posts: 29,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bean Casserole with scone topping

3 tins beans (I use kidney, butter and flageolet)
    Sliced leek
    Sliced Courgette
    300ml Tomato Juice
    150ml Vegetable stock
    1 tsp Chilli Powder

Drain beans and mix all together. Place in an oven proof dish and bake 200c for 20 mins.

Meanwhile make the scone topping.
    225g sr Flour
    pinch salt
    2 tsps dried Mixed Herbs
    2 tsps Baking Powder
    50g Margarine
    6 tbls natural Yogurt
    Mix dry ingredients together, rub in the marg, stir in the yogurt and bring the dough together. Knead lightly on a floured board. Roll out to 1cm thick. Cut rounds using a 5cm cutter. Place scones around the outside edge of the bean casserole overlapping each other. Reurn the casserole to the oven for 30 mins. Scones should be golden and firm on the top and soft like dumplings underneath.....yummy

(Thanks to degsyhufc for the Aubergine dish....I saw your photo and tried it last week - absolutely delicious!)
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    Forum Member
    Tess-g wrote: »

(Thanks to degsyhufc for the Aubergine dish....I saw your photo and tried it last week - absolutely delicious!)
    Thanks :) You can even sneak pepperoni into it :o Not for this thread though :p

Another veggie/vegan dish I made recently, also using aubergine, was a Thai green curry.
    A stardard green curry but using veggie stock instead of chicken stock and sans the nam pla
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    http://cookeatshare.com/recipes/colorful-kitchari-647391

This is my favourite. I put in avacado.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MICH78 wrote: »
    Vegetarian sausage casserole - probably need to be started on the hob but can then be transferred to oven, or a veggie sausage, potato and roasted veg tray bake.

would you mind pointing me in the direction of your favourite recipe for this :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    You can use a whole mix of veg in a white or cheese sauce baked in the oven, I also make a lancashire hot pot using just a vegetable stew mix with a sliced potato topping.
    Vegetarian mince can be made in sheperds pie or many other oven baked dishes.

would you also mind passing your best/favourite recipes for these to me :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Thanks :) You can even sneak pepperoni into it :o Not for this thread though :p

Another veggie/vegan dish I made recently, also using aubergine, was a Thai green curry.
    A stardard green curry but using veggie stock instead of chicken stock and sans the nam pla

could you give me your favourite thai curry recipe :)

some of the dished people have listed are dishes i make regularly but it would be nice to see if there are any twists or variations just for a change :)
  • Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mexican "Lasagne" is good.

Fry onion, chillis and red pepper and mix in chopped tomatoes and simmer to make a sauce.

Make another mixture of grated cheese, sweetcorn and either black beans or kidney beans.

Then layer a dish with sauce, cheese mixture, 2 soft tortillas, sauce, cheese mix, tortillas etc etc.

Then bake it in the oven. It sounds a bit strange but it's really nice.

We add chicken to it but the original recipe was without.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    would you also mind passing your best/favourite recipes for these to me :)

I don't actually use recipes for them just chuck in what I have int he fridge or cupboard. They come out a little different each time, always nice, sometimes spectacular and occasionally I think don't mix those ingredients again. :o
    Forum Member
    could you give me your favourite thai curry recipe :)

some of the dished people have listed are dishes i make regularly but it would be nice to see if there are any twists or variations just for a change :)
    I don't really have recipies. More of a make it up as I go along.

The base will have onions, garlic ginger paste, gound coriander, ground cumin. Fry it off then add veggie stock and coconut milk.

You should be able to find plenty of recipies on line to give you the basics.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jambo_c wrote: »
    Mexican "Lasagne" is good.

Fry onion, chillis and red pepper and mix in chopped tomatoes and simmer to make a sauce.

Make another mixture of grated cheese, sweetcorn and either black beans or kidney beans.

Then layer a dish with sauce, cheese mixture, 2 soft tortillas, sauce, cheese mix, tortillas etc etc.

Then bake it in the oven. It sounds a bit strange but it's really nice.

We add chicken to it but the original recipe was without.

thank you the kids will love this :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    would you mind pointing me in the direction of your favourite recipe for this :)

No probs :),

Vegetarian Sasuage Casserole; brown the sausages, onion & garlic in a pan. Transfer to an oven dish or continue to cook on the hob in a large pan. Add a tin of tomatoes, around a litre of stock depending on your quantaties and then add peppers, corgeuttes, carrots, any veg you like really. Season with the herbs & spices you prefer, dried is fine. Will take around an hour to get a nice sauce. Serve with bread, rice or mash.

The tray bake is really just sausages, red onion, garlic, tomatoes, a few squeezes of tomato puree, quarters of lemon and the roasted veg - a mix of mediterranean and root veg is nice. I usually par-boil potatoes then dice and add to the roasting tray. You can add some boiled water from the kettle as it bakes to creates some juices. Takes around an hour, depending on how soft/crunchy you like your veg.