Doctor Who - S8E12 - Death in Heaven - 8th Nov '14 - BBC One (HD) @ 8:00pm

Comments

• mikey1980mikey1980 Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While not quite as good as Dark Water, it was still an excellent episode and a fine conclusion to what has been an outstanding series. It was heart-wrenching at points and I loved it.

I was rapidly losing interest in Doctor Who during series 6 and 7, and while the 50th Anniversary briefly piqued my interest, Time Of The Doctor was so soul-less that I was on the verge of giving up. But series 8 has been a refreshing change, full of proper characterisation and meaty dialogue. And Capaldi has been phenomonal. Long may he reign!
  • ArthurJBearArthurJBear Posts: 6,905
    Forum Member
    Well fair play, that was absolute twaddle. I don't need to repeat what others have already asked, but there are so many unanswered questions as to be ridiculous.

Peter Capaldi makes an excellent Doctor, no doubt of that. However, this series finale wasn't worth him getting out of bed for. I don't know what Moffat is trying to do here, but it clearly isn't working.

If I didn't know better, I would swear he is deliberately trying to sabotage Doctor Who by making it incomprehensible. There was no story, or rather not one you could follow without being off your face with smack. Perhaps that is Moffats problem.

I had hoped that Moffat would have learned from his past mistakes during and after the Smith era, but he obviously hasn't. Once again he has tried to be too clever and fallen flat on his face. I don't care how much of a Moffat supporter you are, no one in their right mind could call this farce of an episode clever, enjoyable or a satisfying conclusion to Peter Capaldi's first series as The Doctor.

I AM in my right mind and I thought this was a very enjoyable and satisfying episode, however as you seem to have the ability to know what others think about things I stand corrected corrected and must say this episode was terrible.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    claire2281 wrote: »
    I don't think it's a matter of it not making sense. More that the explanations they gave were so flimsy and nonsensical they went beyond the suspension of disbelief into 'okay that's just ****ing stupid' territory.

I mean...CyberPollen? Rain that instantly turns dead bodies to Cybermen (Danny changed within minutes) with no metal to use? Right....They could've at least TRIED to make is sound plausible.

nano-tech contained in droplets of water?

At the end of Nightmare in Silver we see a cyber-shrimp turning in space, with the implication that a whole new galaxy can be colonised just from this little metal prawn.
  • egghead1egghead1 Posts: 4,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think next week will see Danny become a Cyberman,he will inevitably find Clara and be about to DELETE her when he recognises her his internal struggle will result in a cyberman crying(for second time),and somehow destroying the other Cybermen.Ensuring love saves the day as usual
    But Clara realizing Danny has gone for good will turn her back on adventures with the Dr and thus her departure.

Call me psychic if you like. :D
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=75447718&postcount=694
  • WmsheepWmsheep Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    Tobyak wrote: »
    Goodness Gracious Me. Manscout copped it

You see those Cybermen?

Indian!!

I mean, where else does everyone travel on the outside of public transport??

India.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    silentNate wrote: »
    Other died and disappeared in red smoke... her smoke was blue iirc ;)
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    Pretty much this.

In particular it's often been the case that the master somehow escapes without it being explained properly. Surely any long standing fan of the show would know this. And to me clearly since the beam was a different colour clearly she was not disintegrated but teleported therefore she wouldn't have regenerated.

She was shot by a cyberman though, although she probably teleported away hence no body.
    Addy2Hotty wrote: »
    I noticed the Valiant and Harold Saxon referenced tonight.

Was the Valiant rebuilt and I missed it?

Also, as no one should have remembered Saxon was the Master beyond those aboard the Valiant at the point the Paradox Machine was disabled and time reset, how would the scientist woman know? I would assume the Doctor, Martha and the others wouldn't have told anyone.

They probably have a record on file at UNIT.
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,920
    Forum Member
    I agree. Unlike Muttley, I can't skip over it. It exemplified why I have disliked so much of Moffat's tenure - he has no grasp of real emotion.

The Doctor got to salute his old friend. What's not emotional about that? It totally got me anyway :cry:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikey1980 wrote: »
    While not quite as good as Dark Water, it was still an excellent episode and a fine conclusion to what has been an outstanding series. It was heart-wrenching at points and I loved it.

I was rapidly losing interest in Doctor Who during series 6 and 7, and while the 50th Anniversary briefly piqued my interest, Time Of The Doctor was so soul-less that I was on the verge of giving up. But series 8 has been a refreshing change, full of proper characterisation and meaty dialogue. And Capaldi has been phenomonal. Long may he reign!

What did you think of the Danny Pink character?
  • ArthurJBearArthurJBear Posts: 6,905
    Forum Member
    I noticed the Valiant and Harold Saxon referenced tonight.

Was the Valiant rebuilt and I missed it?

Also, as no one should have remembered Saxon was the Master beyond those aboard the Valiant at the point the Paradox Machine was disabled and time reset, how would the scientist woman know? I would assume the Doctor, Martha and the others wouldn't have told anyone.

You seem to have answered your own question there Osgood (the scientist woman) was on the Valiant at the point the paradox machine was disabled.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wmsheep wrote: »
    You see those Cybermen?

Indian!!

I mean, where else does everyone travel on the outside of public transport??

India.

And they were trying to get into the plane for all the bland food!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They probably have a record on file at UNIT.

How? UNIT would only know if someone on board the Valiant told them. Which I can't see happening.

The general public didn't know as seen in The End Of Time.

Basically it was a way of trying to link the two Masters without any other explanation provided. To hell with continuity.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The guards guarding Missy were about as effective as the guards in Monty Python and The Holy Grail.

Here....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ryPUJyQf6g

and here.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdKa9bXVinE

Well, at least I enjoyed watching that! Thanks for posting. :)
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I know I wouldn't have an issue if my wife returned from the dead.

You`ve not read The Monkey`s Paw then?
  • slouchingthatchslouchingthatch Posts: 2,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You seem to have answered your own question there Osgood (the scientist woman) was on the Valiant at the point the paradox machine was disabled.
    Deleted
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So just make up the answer ourselves is what you are saying?

That's fine, if that's what the audience expect. Personally I like the questions answered rather than filling in the gaps with extraordinary answers.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For example the Brigadier Dalek saving his daughter Kate.
    comedyfish wrote: »
    Oops :D

Oh dammit. I didn't have time to edit my post. I should have said Cyberman, not Dalek.
    I was looking at my mistake, even after you pointed it out to me, for a good twenty seconds before I facepalmed and realised my error.:D
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,920
    Forum Member
    How? UNIT would only know if someone on board the Valiant told them. Which I can't see happening.

The general public didn't know as seen in The End Of Time.

Basically it was a way of trying to link the two Masters without any other explanation provided. To hell with continuity.

Those UNIT peeps are very clever you know. They even had pics from the alternate reality seen in Turn Left, in the Day of the Doctor :) (and very nearly would have had pics of the two Peter Cushing movies too).
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DiscoP wrote: »
    The Doctor got to salute his old friend. What's not emotional about that? It totally got me anyway :cry:

He saluted a Cyberman. The Brig was dead. Now he's not dead, he's a Cyberman. Let's all cheer. Or feel depressed, according to temperament.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also, just because Osgood cannot remember the missing paradox year doesn't mean she wouldn't know of the Valiant's existence. It wasn't like it was only created the day the Toclafane turned up.

Agreed, but how would she know Saxon was the Master. No-one should know that except the Doctor, Martha, Jack and Martha's family.

Maybe Martha's mum sold a story to the Daily Mail.

"Former Prime Minister was alien immigrant who enslaved human race'
  • Shandyman81Shandyman81 Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    claire2281 wrote: »
    Because...they still have their emotions? It was rather handwaved.

We have seen people resist Cyberman programming before. See Doomsday.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    Well you missed the greatest series by not watching her, she was wonderful and she will always be the most important person in the universe.

Oh YES !

Oh No...sums up the demographic RTD was aiming for.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 365
    Forum Member
    The Santa thing was unbelievably cringey. At first with the voice i thought ok, that's it, they've finally broken the 4th wall for good and Moffat has, while recognising the awfulness of the anticlimax they ended the show on, finally totally lost the plot (geddit?:D).

And then f**** Santa appeared. God save us from the impending cheesiness:(
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grisonaut wrote: »
    nano-tech contained in droplets of water?

At the end of Nightmare in Silver we see a cyber-shrimp turning in space, with the implication that a whole new galaxy can be colonised just from this little metal prawn.

Over time? Maybe. I could buy that. But Danny was turned in minutes at most. It just seemed a bit too far fetched tbh. Jarring enough to make me go 'what?!' so for me it really didn't work.
  • mikey1980mikey1980 Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What did you think of the Danny Pink character?

He was fine. I've had no problem with him during series 8. No, he's not the most charismatic or interesting of characters, but he didn't particularly need to be. I've had enough of unrealistic characters who constantly "banter" with the Doctor - Danny Pink, I found to be far more realistic.

And surprisingly, I found his final scenes with Clara quite moving.
  • justatechjustatech Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    Yeah it bothered me too. Like you say it was well meaning, so rather than being annoyed in future I'm going to kind of skip over that bit I think. I imagine for some people it worked really well.

I just don't like the idea of The Brig as a cyberman at all :(

Why not? If you accept the premise that all the dead became cyber men then why wouldn't the Brigadier? If he remained in his coffin, people would be saying why didn't he become a cyberman?

Yes, it was a plot device to save his daughter, and a tribute to the Brigadier as well but taken in context it worked, for me, anyway.