Options

Apple Watch

Comments

• Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    Agreed. I've never yet been in a situation where the battery has run out during the day. It easily lasts as long as the phone.

If the talked about sleep feature was there at release likely it would not last 24 hours. Thus a morning+night charge scenario being required
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    If the talked about sleep feature was there at release likely it would not last 24 hours. Thus a morning+night charge scenario being required

The well known power saving methods it has are keeping the screen off when you're not looking at it, and going to power reserve mode where it stops communicating with the phone if the battery gets critically low (I've only seen that twice because I forgot to charge it). It's been like that since release and doesn't need charging twice a day.

So which 'Sleep Feature' are you referring to that wasn't there at release? And what is the 'morning+night charge scenario being required'? Anyone who has actually used one will tell you it's not the case.
  • Options
    JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,103
    Forum Member
    I bought a Apple Sports Watch on Monday and am seriously considering taking it back. Why? Because of the bloody awful strap! Its horrible. It takes me about five minutes to put the thing on. Then it keeps sliding up and down my wrist and is really irritating. I have been used to a bracelet style watch so maybe I just have to adapt. But I have found myself putting my old watch back on and leaving the Apple one at home!
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JEFF62 wrote: »
    I bought a Apple Sports Watch on Monday and am seriously considering taking it back. Why? Because of the bloody awful strap! Its horrible. It takes me about five minutes to put the thing on. Then it keeps sliding up and down my wrist and is really irritating. I have been used to a bracelet style watch so maybe I just have to adapt. But I have found myself putting my old watch back on and leaving the Apple one at home!
    It took me a couple of days, but I really like the sports band now. It takes a while to stretch in. If it's sliding you have it too loose!

If it helps putting it on, sit down and put your hand on your lap, holding the watch in place under your wrist, and use the other hand to fix the strap.
  • Options
    simon69csimon69c Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I didn't find the sports band too bad but I got one of the leather loop bands as soon as they were available and use that exclusively now - it's much more comfortable, easier to put on, is near enough infinitely adjustable plus it looks great.

Any of the bands are compatible with the Apple Watch Sport, though some don't look all that great if they have steel at the watch interface as you get a clash of steel vs aluminium. The leather loop doesn't have that issue though.
  • Options
    Forum Member

This has been an absolute disaster. I have had the Apple watch since Monday and have now given up on it completely . I have only charged it twice. I haven't worn it since Thursday and haven't even looked at it much since. unfortunately the Apple store I bought it from is 30 miles away and that is the nearest one. So i am returning it for a refund when I have a day off on Wednesday. Such a shame because I was reading up on Apple Watch fro weeks and couldn't wait to get one. As i said in an earlier post its partly the strap. Its awful. Difficult to put on, uncomfortable to wear and looks like a toy watch you would give to a five year old. Not good enough for something costing £339.
  • Options
    testcardtestcard Posts: 8,202
    Forum Member
    Surprised your research or a try-on appointment didn't pick this up. Incidentally, I'm very happy with my 42mm SS.
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    simon69c wrote: »
    I didn't find the sports band too bad but I got one of the leather loop bands as soon as they were available and use that exclusively now - it's much more comfortable, easier to put on, is near enough infinitely adjustable plus it looks great.

Any of the bands are compatible with the Apple Watch Sport, though some don't look all that great if they have steel at the watch interface as you get a clash of steel vs aluminium. The leather loop doesn't have that issue though.

We all have different tastes. I have the silver sports watch but I've bought a Milanese loop, modern buckle and classic buckle to wear with it. I like them better than my white and pink sports bands.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most decent pictures of the watch were with one of the designer straps.

Unless you have upgraded you own tat. An expensive price simply does not make it premium, though it could be argued you are buying their low end offering.
    The bands on the basic model of the SW3 are just as bad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    testcard wrote: »
    Surprised your research or a try-on appointment didn't pick this up. Incidentally, I'm very happy with my 42mm SS.

Yes I know what you mean. I did have a try on appointment and it didnt seem too bad. It was only after I started wearing it and using it and the novelty wore thin very quickly.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes I know what you mean. I did have a try on appointment and it didnt seem too bad. It was only after I started wearing it and using it and the novelty wore thin very quickly.

Why don't you just buy another band for it on eBay like I did for £30. There are plenty of great bands out there like this one :

http://cubify.com/store/freshfiber/flexbands
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    The well known power saving methods it has are keeping the screen off when you're not looking at it, and going to power reserve mode where it stops communicating with the phone if the battery gets critically low (I've only seen that twice because I forgot to charge it). It's been like that since release and doesn't need charging twice a day.

So which 'Sleep Feature' are you referring to that wasn't there at release? And what is the 'morning+night charge scenario being required'? Anyone who has actually used one will tell you it's not the case.

Alan is a smart cookie though, so despite not owning or having first hand experience of a product, he often knows or uncovers things that are unknown to people who actually own the product in question.

It's quite the gift.
  • Options
    QuackersQuackers Posts: 4,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You are joking? It takes me less than 5 second to put my sport strap apple watch on and it don't slide up and down my wrist. Thats standing up too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, can the sport beclassed as premium?

http://consumerist.com/2015/08/20/apple-watch-sport-users-complain-that-lettering-and-logo-are-wearing-off/

It almost sounds like they are using it for exercise, sweat being the corrosive culprit.
  • Options
    jwballjwball Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This has been an absolute disaster. I have had the Apple watch since Monday and have now given up on it completely . I have only charged it twice. I haven't worn it since Thursday and haven't even looked at it much since. unfortunately the Apple store I bought it from is 30 miles away and that is the nearest one. So i am returning it for a refund when I have a day off on Wednesday. Such a shame because I was reading up on Apple Watch fro weeks and couldn't wait to get one. As i said in an earlier post its partly the strap. Its awful. Difficult to put on, uncomfortable to wear and looks like a toy watch you would give to a five year old. Not good enough for something costing £339.

Have you really bought one or just pretending?
    There is nothing wrong with the strap, it's one of the most comfortable I have ever worn, which is why I'm rather suspicious of your purchase.

It's far more comfortable than my omega which cost a fair bit more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you actually owned one you'd know it's entirely possible to get two days out of a single charge.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Techcrunch GIF of someone throwing an Apple Watch in a drawer.
    http://techcrunch.com/2015/07/08/apple-watch-review-after-2-months/

Fixed that title for you ;)
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    jwball wrote: »
    There is nothing wrong with the strap, it's one of the most comfortable I have ever worn, which is why I'm rather suspicious of your purchase.

So because someone doesn't like the strap and finds it uncomfortable, means they don't have one? Weird logic....

I have an omega as well, and I find the strap very comfortable. I don't believe you have an omega...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    So because someone doesn't like the strap and finds it uncomfortable, means they don't have one? Weird logic....

I have an omega as well, and I find the strap very comfortable. I don't believe you have an omega...

No, because I have one and the strap is fine. Hence the reason I'm questioning it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I doubt to own one to dislike the look of the strap.
    The local pawn shop like to have pristine looking Apple goods in the display Window.

Thye removed the strap to display the Apple Sport watch, with no sign at all of that strap.
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    No, because I have one and the strap is fine. Hence the reason I'm questioning it.

Yes, and I'm saying the strap on my omega is fine. Hence why I'm questioning your ownership of this omega.
  • Options
    Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you actually owned one you'd know it's entirely possible to get two days out of a single charge.
    Two whole days :o
  • Options
    jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm usually like Apple stuff and really like my iPhone 6+ (except for the non removable apple watch app) but I am seriously struggling to see what benefits this device actually has. For once the famous Apple asthetic just seems to be missing.

Can I also add I also own an Omega speedmaster and concur that the stap or bracelet is extremely comfortable on this watch !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plastic straps might be cheap but they tend to be the most comfortable, thus their use in sports watches.

Aluminium though corrodes from sweat, thus that fast loss of iWatch lettering. Its part of how the debate about Sport referring to a style and not sports use.
  • Options
    zapodzapod Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aluminium though corrodes from sweat, thus that fast loss of iWatch lettering. Its part of how the debate about Sport referring to a style and not sports use.

What ever are you on about?

The Apple Watch Sport has a hard anodised case which, by definition, is already 'corroded' in that it is a thin layer of aluminium oxide that is resistant to further corrosion. The lettering is laser etched into the case - nothing to wear off.

Besides, aluminium is not a new idea in watches - Swatch have been using it for years.