Inevitable Nicole comparisons to Cheryl if she returns?

cas1977cas1977 Posts: 6,399
Forum Member
I have said something similar on here already I think, but I imagine that if Cheryl does return, it isn't going to be the same as when she was there the first time round.

I liked her during that time, as she does seem to genuinely care about the contestants etc, but if she were to come back....

I think the comparisons between her and Nicole will always find her lacking, and I think because of this she'll definitely lose some popularity. Especially as she's there purely to replace Nicole.

And I just hope she'll fall completely flat on her face and no amount of "yer a reet little popstar" and "yer reet oop me street" is going to save her.

It's a bit like Girls Aloud going on stage to sing after Aretha Franklin, Cher and Christina Aguilera have all sung....:)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 460
    Forum Member
    Cheryl didn't do badly during the first two programs of USXF when she was in the judge's seat for part of the program and Nicole was in the seat for another part. In fact, when the audience saw what they could have had and what they got, Nicole, the show never recovered. The press, critics and the audience were left wondering why and Simon was left speechless, knowing he had just made the biggest and most expensive mistake of his career.

I don't know how Cheryl will do this time, but it is not humanly possible for her to do worse than Nicole did in the US.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^ exactly. If Cheryl Cole was allowed to shine on The X Factor USA, things may have turned out differently. She was a unique judge, even if you want to say it was only because of her accent!! She received positive feedback critically.

Instead - we had Simon from American Idol, a guy who looked like Randy from American Idol, Paul from American Idol, and a desperate celebrity changing her personality every other episode, universally panned by critics.

Karma that the show failed! Pretty sure that Simon realizes that now.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheryl will come off worse in any such comparison. She's not at her peak as she was during her last stint. Girls Aloud have split up and her solo career went off the rails, especially after she was exposed miming live on TV.

Nicole on the other hand has spent time building up her persona, she won a lot of critics and fans over with her Opera work with Andrew Lloyd Webber, as well as her performances on The X Factor, and younger fans seem to like her quirky personality as well. She's generally quite liked and has more than proved to the GBP that she can sing and is talented.

I think people are getting ahead of themselves by suggesting that Cheryl is somehow going to turbo-boost the ratings. Her last return at Gary's judges house stage was a bit of a non-event, I can see the public getting bored of her quite quickly.
  • Julie_EvansJulie_Evans Posts: 2,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cas1977 wrote: »
    I have said something similar on here already I think, but I imagine that if Cheryl does return, it isn't going to be the same as when she was there the first time round.

I liked her during that time, as she does seem to genuinely care about the contestants etc, but if she were to come back....

I think the comparisons between her and Nicole will always find her lacking, and I think because of this she'll definitely lose some popularity. Especially as she's there purely to replace Nicole.

And I just hope she'll fall completely flat on her face and no amount of "yer a reet little popstar" and "yer reet oop me street" is going to save her.

It's a bit like Girls Aloud going on stage to sing after Aretha Franklin, Cher and Christina Aguilera have all sung....:)

BIB - Bit unfair to hope for that tbh :confused: I wouldn't wish that on anyone, not even Tulisa (who I seriously disliked as judge).

Cheryl wasn't the only judge to repeat herself, as much as I loved Nicole, her use of the Sch word got a bit tiresome after a while, so did the 'balls' comment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^ predictable.. a popular single and being in the press daily probably shouldn't be called "a career going off the rails" ... Meanwhile, Nicole "built up her persona" and sang opera- charming.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    out of curiosity, when XFUSA first started and both Cheryl & Nicole were on the show together at the beginning was there any rumoured rivalry? at the time?
  • gemhudgemhud Posts: 380
    Forum Member
    cas1977 wrote: »

cheryl's won twice with her contestants and Cheryl's solo career has been much more successful than Nicole's their the only comparisons that matter.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zone_Out wrote: »
    out of curiosity, when XFUSA first started and both Cheryl & Nicole were on the show together at the beginning was there any rumoured rivalry? at the time?

it's very strange. Nicole was hired first as a host along with Steve Jones. Yet no footage of the two of them working together as co-hosts has ever been shown (as far as I know). The only time they were seen together publicly was at a FOX press event shortly before Cheryl was kicked off. They didn't appear to be interacting at all.

Nicole did look pissed when Simon introduced Cheryl on stage at that event as "gorgeous".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    Never saw the appeal of Cheryl tbh, and she's even less relevant now.

At least Nicole seems to have a personality, Cheryl is bland imo.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zone_Out wrote: »

The rivalry has been there for years, all because of Cheryl. Back when Nicole didn't know Cheryl existed, this was said. :)
  • gemhudgemhud Posts: 380
    Forum Member
    Zack06 wrote: »
    The rivalry has been there for years, all because of Cheryl. Back when Nicole didn't know Cheryl existed, this was said. :)
    And she was right I see no lies she should stayed with the band.
  • Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Cheryl didn't know Nicole then and just gave her opinion on PCD and Nicole's solo career at the time, I don't think she said anything unfairly tbh.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave0893 wrote: »
    Cheryl didn't know Nicole then and just gave her opinion on PCD and Nicole's solo career at the time, I don't think she said anything unfairly tbh.

It may have been her opinion, but I think Cheryl talking about Nicole being "unable to compete with vocalists like Beyoncé, Xtina" etc. is stretching way too far, when considering her own musical deficiencies.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It may have been her opinion, but I think Cheryl talking about Nicole being "unable to compete with vocalists like Beyoncé, Xtina" etc. is stretching way too far, when considering her own musical deficiencies.

Looking at the interview, I think Cheryl meant competing as a solo artist, not necessarily comparing her vocals to Xtina etc.

Nicole was more successful in the PCD than she has been as a solo artist.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think that is unfair, for one, Cheryl at the time was never considering a solo career, so was judging Nicole who had went solo against the other huge American female solo singers, which is a fair comparison.

Plus I would say most people at that time didn't realise Nicole's full vocal capabilities, you still see it when she performs now, so many comments are shock at how good a singer she is and how they never realised how great her voice was, I certainly never realised how great her voice.

The first time I noticed her voice was these acoustic performances,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvLTTQeCehA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyQcxjbSjxE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVTKQ84C508
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyZpC30WfdA

Before that I never thought she was that great live.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ablahh wrote: »
    it's very strange. Nicole was hired first as a host along with Steve Jones. Yet no footage of the two of them working together as co-hosts has ever been shown (as far as I know). The only time they were seen together publicly was at a FOX press event shortly before Cheryl was kicked off. They didn't appear to be interacting at all.

Nicole did look pissed when Simon introduced Cheryl on stage at that event as "gorgeous".

ok thank you. i kinda always thought their "rivalry" came after Chezza`s xf fiasco

as far as i know this is the only footage of Nicole & Steve hosting together, but then again this isn`t really professional footage & more of a behind the scenes thing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRtI5Oo-XdU
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 478
    Forum Member

Cheryl wasn't happy about Nicole standing in for her and Dannii in series 7, and subsequently Nicole doing so well that she was invited back for bootcamp. I suspect Cheryl is threatened by Nicole, if you map out their careers they are pretty much identical.

As far as comparisons go, I liked Nicole a lot but I don't think viewers will miss her that much. Like Sharon (and probably Dannii too), she was a massive part of the programme for a while and viewers will remember her and her character, but I don't think that (on a mass scale) people will be that bothered whether shes there or not.

Put simply, Cheryl has 'The X Factor', and connects with the audience like no other judge on any programme, even if realistically she isn't actually that good. I dont expect her to go down anywhere near as well this time, but I do think she'll have a positive impact on the shows ratings.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JFoster1 wrote: »
    Cheryl wasn't happy about Nicole standing in for her and Dannii in series 7, and subsequently Nicole doing so well that she was invited back for bootcamp. I suspect Cheryl is threatened by Nicole, if you map out their careers they are pretty much identical.

As far as comparisons go, I liked Nicole a lot but I don't think viewers will miss her that much. Like Sharon (and probably Dannii too), she was a massive part of the programme for a while and viewers will remember her and her character, but I don't think that (on a mass scale) people will be that bothered whether shes there or not.

Put simply, Cheryl has 'The X Factor', and connects with the audience like no other judge on any programme, even if realistically she isn't actually that good.

Wasn't she getting death threats the last time she was a judge on the show?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JFoster1 wrote: »

Put simply, Cheryl has 'The X Factor', and connects with the audience like no other judge on any programme, even if realistically she isn't actually that good. I dont expect her to go down anywhere near as well this time, but I do think she'll have a positive impact on the shows ratings.

BIB: According to the newspapers, which is most likely made up crap.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

She definitely had a terrible year on the show, and did lose a tremendous amount of support, but she is still popular.

I think people were tiring of seeing her everywhere, but that has died down now and I think many people would welcome her return now.

I do hope she is in a different place now than she was in that final year, I am really hoping she'll have humbled somewhat since the X Factor US disaster and her relationship with Simon will be different, as they did become to chummy.

I do still hope Nicole could come back, she herself still hasn't said she has left, and hours before Simon's tweet her team denied she quit and said she was still in talks with producers. I think Simon wants someone new, but Itv aren't so keen and he has done that to get rid of her, but hopefully he won't get his way. Though I can't imagine how they would work together if Simon has done that and she hasn't actually quit.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 460
    Forum Member
    In USXF we saw Cheryl and Nicole, alternately sitting in the same seat on the same panel, but if, as most people suspect Cheryl will be replacing Nicole this year, it will be a different panel. In the end it will be is this judging panel better than last years?

I also think that most people anywhere, don't like it when someone is treated badly. Cheryl was treated very badly in the USXF fiasco which was very well publicized in the UK at the time. For that reason alone, I would guess that she will get a very warm welcome back. That's why I'm cheering for her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That was ridiculously unnecessary - no one from a light hearted talent show deserves that :(

If I remember correctly, Nicole also got death threats on the US show - mad, just mad.

No one disliked Tulisa more than I did, but I wouldn't have dreamt of sending her death threats - some people are bonkers :o

I could understand if it was someone like Kate Hopkins.
  • d56d56 Posts: 5,471
    Forum Member
    That was ridiculously unnecessary - no one from a light hearted talent show deserves that :(

No one disliked Tulisa more than I did, but I wouldn't have dreamt of sending her death threats - some people are bonkers :o

I could understand if it was someone like Kate Hopkins.

It's amazing the spotlight & scrutiny the female X Factor judges are under. When you put it into perspective you realise how ridiculous death threats are.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d56 wrote: »
    It's amazing the spotlight & scrutiny the female X Factor judges are under. When you put it into perspective you realise how ridiculous death threats are.

Couldn't agree more ;-)