Why was Cheryl sacked from X Factor USA?

InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,792
Forum Member
Just looking back at the clips: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFtM9JwQP8M

It became clear that,
1) She had better chemistry developing with Paula than she ever had with Dannii (which isn't difficult as two cardboard cut outs would have had the same chemistry Cheryl/Dannii had.)
2) She was far better than some of the replacement judges over the next years - notable Britney and Paolina

I think, from that clip, it may have just been the case that she was the odd one out? Simon and Paula had an existing relationship known to the US audience so her usual UK role wasn't needed. And she doesn't seem to have any rapport going with LA either - had they had chemistry I would have expected that she would have stayed..

I think looking back that dropping her was a mistake, I think she overall came across very well.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 460
    Forum Member
    Cheryl was sacked because Simon didn't want her. Or maybe, it was all a publicity stunt that he neglected to tell Cheryl about.

It wasn't her accent, we liked it. It wasn't that she was uncomfortable, she was more comfortable than Nicole ever was. Nicole has never been very popular here, but people liked Cheryl.

For some reason, probably trying to hard, Simon just made one mistake after another with USXF.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    I have to admit when I first saw this on TV I really liked Cheryl in this I was kind of annoyed when she got sacked
  • String9String9 Posts: 12,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why was she fired?

She was terrible. The British audience can stomach comments like "you smashed it, smashed it, smashed it", but not acceptable anywhere else in the world.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    I always felt that it was just a trial and that Cheryl or Nicole would be heading to the UK show depending on how Cheryl did with the other remaining on the US show. Cheryl wasn't comfortable on the US version so they got rid expecting her to return to the UK show. There was just something very odd about Nicole originally hosting, especially as she filmed no scenes in the first 3 weeks.
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,987
    Forum Member
    I think in what we saw, Cheryl was doing a good job. She looked great, she looked comfortable with Paula and had the connection with Simon.

Compared to recent talent show judges, Britney, Paulina on X Factor and the huge mistake that was Mariah and Nicki Minaj on Idol, she was good.

She was more suited to the UK show I think, as I think Nicole was whereas Kelly was much better on the US show. I think Mariah could have done much better in the UK personally, and without Nicki.

I don't understand why he chose her to go over to the US, but I think if he and the Fox execs had stuck with her it would have worked.
  • mysty211mysty211 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe Simon thought Cheryl wasn't best for the show an was worried maybe she wasn't well known enough to bring in the ratings an he wanted it to be successful and thought the way to do that was to sack Cheryl.
  • KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought she was great from what we saw of her on XFUSA.
    Various press outlets and reviewers in America loved her as well, and called for her to return. One even called Nicole a downgrade :blush:
  • MatejaMateja Posts: 731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it was because of Paula. Cheryl and Paula played similar roles on the panel with Simon (his "pet", female sidekick, etc."). He can only have that relationship on the panel with one female at a time. So, TPTB and Simon realized that. They figured it would be better to only have one judge of that kind on the panel. And because Simon and Paula duo was known to the US audiences, they wanted Cheryl to go. And Simon probably thought that would be the better option since Cheryl could go back to X Factor UK immediately, so there would be little to no damage.

Obviously, Nicole wasn't a great replacement on X Factor USA.

Looking back, the mistake was putting Paula and Cheryl on the same panel. Not that Paula and Cheryl couldn't get on well, but because they played similar roles to Simon's character and there was really only room for one. Considering Paula was also let go after season 1, it was all very sad.
  • d56d56 Posts: 5,471
    Forum Member
    Simon wanted her, probably begged the bosses at Fox, they got her on the panel, realised she's actually average and the sun doesn't shine out of her a*se and got rid.
  • Lucylocket88Lucylocket88 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    Considering she was an unknown to America, she had no place on the panel, in my opinion. America is too big to place an unknown person on a panel. I think it would have been different, if it was a smaller country.
  • gemhudgemhud Posts: 380
    Forum Member
    He choose her because they worked well with each other on uk x factor, but like previous posters have said she and paula both fit the same role. he should of picked only one of them from the start it wasn't cheryl's fault it was the balance of panel.
  • Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JFoster1 wrote: »
    I always felt that it was just a trial and that Cheryl or Nicole would be heading to the UK show depending on how Cheryl did with the other remaining on the US show. Cheryl wasn't comfortable on the US version so they got rid expecting her to return to the UK show. There was just something very odd about Nicole originally hosting, especially as she filmed no scenes in the first 3 weeks.

She did, here she is presenting with Steve from a paparazzi video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRtI5Oo-XdU

But when Cheryl was sacked they decided not to show any of the footage, pretend Steve was a solo host all along and Cheryl was always meant to just be guest judging for a couple of cities.
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,987
    Forum Member
    Considering she was an unknown to America, she had no place on the panel, in my opinion. America is too big to place an unknown person on a panel. I think it would have been different, if it was a smaller country.

But the Cowell himself was unknown when he started doing Idol over there, he was successful