Options

Free phone numbers

There's been several threads on the cheapest this and that for VOIP, but what I can't understand is why are people still paying for incoming numbers? Sipgate.co.uk gives me my geographical number absolutely free, you can use straight away with no credit.

Have had the occasional downtime with them but they've definitely come up to speed more recently, more often than not it's my router's fault as my Draytek routers often need rebooting :(

But my message is - stop paying for incoming lines! :)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the main reason people like myself are putting credit on VoipCheap is not for the incoming number (that's just a bonus), but because it then enables you to make unlimited free UK landline calls - something which you won't get with Sipgate.

Dan
  • Options
    BexTechBexTech Posts: 12,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is indeed the case.

I have several Sipgate numbers, one I use as my main incoming number, and have had this for around 18 months or so.

With VoIP Buster I only needed to put on €1 credit and I got an incoming number, but the reason I put the €1 on was not for the number but to make unlimited free calls. This is the same with VoIP Cheap, when I signed up with them it was £1 credit, not bad for all those free calls to LANDLINES I have been making, it's just a bonus to have an incoming number too.

As Dan has said, you don't get free calls to landlines with Sipgate, you do with others.

So we are not really paying for incoming lines, as we are just paying the initial setup fee to get unlimited free calls, I didn't need to add any more credit on to get the incoming number - that is free.
  • Options
    WiddyWiddy Posts: 2,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan 8t1 wrote:
    I think the main reason people like myself are putting credit on VoipCheap is not for the incoming number (that's just a bonus), but because it then enables you to make unlimited free UK landline calls - something which you won't get with Sipgate.

Dan

As Skype seems to be getting more like bloatware and having more connection errors, I was looking for a slimline program I can easily make and receive free voiIP calls on, after all I do not need Skype texting service as I use Gaim for that.

VoIPcheap seems to fit the bill so far, free UK calls, unlimited duration and a free incoming number, all in all so far I am impressed. (apart from the slight downtime on the incoming number last night).