IE9 Beta

Comments

• Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    That Fish test relies on Resolution, with 100 fish at 1920x1080, I get around 20fps, but if I go back to windowed mode and then shrink it even further, I can easily push it way past 100fps, what exactly does it test?
  • DotNetWillDotNetWill Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is quite a good write up on Ars (http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2010/09/inside-internet-explorer-9-redmond-gets-back-in-the-game.ars/). I like the UI from the screenshots and I'm going to install it today at work and use it as many browser.

I'm not a big believer in alot of benchmarks, what I'm really interested in is day to day performance on sites I use.
  • John_ElwayJohn_Elway Posts: 5,121
    Forum Member
    Very impressed with the beta of IE9. Fantastic.
  • tommyd1258tommyd1258 Posts: 6,923
    Forum Member
    I'm actually surprised how fast it is, but does anyone else think it makes this forum look like it does in Safari? The font looks really weird.

Loving the new cleaner UI and it takes up less of the screen.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DJGM wrote: »
    Freshly installed ... as holy mother of God, this thing is utterly fugly as sin! Worst looking browser ever!

There's hardly any UI to be seen, most of it is just browser windows. I like the idea of putting tabs at the same level with the address bar, saves space vertically. The dropdown could have been wider though to show more information. I am impressed by the speed.
  • tommyd1258tommyd1258 Posts: 6,923
    Forum Member
    anyone else having problems with it not opening certain links?

Yes. I put this website in Compatibility View at links seem to work alright now.
  • Alan FAlan F Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For those of you using Trusteer Rapport be aware that it is not yet compatible with IE9
  • user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did you know you can drag the address bar about to shrink/enlarge it :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hmmm...Not impressed you have to restart Windows to install it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DotNetWill wrote: »
    hmmm...Not impressed you have to restart Windows to install it

IE is well intergrated into the OS :rolleyes: Is it such a big deal rebooting?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anniebrion wrote: »
    IE is well intergrated into the OS :rolleyes: Is it such a big deal rebooting?

I know more than most how well integrated in to the OS it is, but I disagree it should cause a reboot. I would imagine, and hope, the parts of the trident rending engine used to display parts of Explorer etc are not being updated to the IE9 version. It will more likely be bug fixes and the DLL will be protected by WRT hence the reboot. I don't see why that should force me to reboot when all I want to do is try it out.

And, yes, rebooting is a big deal. I'm sat here wtih two chrome instances open, Outlook, 2x VS, 1xBlend and several RDP sessions. Aswell as a being connected to a US VPN to stream Pandora. I rarely shut my machine down and reopening them is a pita
  • deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC say that IE9 will be more advanced than it's rivals for the first time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11315819

I suppose the use of Windows graphics acceleration, is an advantage Microsoft has over their rivals, as they own the OS. I wonder if this technology will be made available to their rivals. If not cue the EU. :)
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anniebrion wrote: »
    Did you know you can drag the address bar about to shrink/enlarge it :)

Then it takes space away from tabs. I'd just prefer when the drop down is opened to be wider than the address bar is to show more info than just 'http://...'. It's OK at work with my 24'' 1920x1200 monitor, but I don't see much on my 17'' laptop.
  • late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    Its still going well here - cant understand some comments about it looking ugly when there’s virtually no UI visible.

The only thing that doesn’t look right is the large Back Button that’s cut off at the bottom.

They also need to have page previews like chrome when you open a new tab instead of little icons in massive boxes.

Still isnt as fast as Chrome on day to day browsing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Much much better than version 8 :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like it, it looks a lot cleaner and is really easy to use.
  • timperry26timperry26 Posts: 1,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    out4zero wrote: »
    Much much better than version 8 :)

IE8 just seems bloated compared to this.

I like the User Interface as its a much cleaner and crisp layout, overall it just looks better

Additionally Adobe flash run very well.

I tried the fish benchmark I get full 60 fps on full screen, so I guess its using all my cores
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The old registry hack to have InPrivate Filtering as launch does not seem to work :( You have to enable it every time you lanuch IE9 :(
  • jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sexbomb wrote: »
    that fish test runs awful on firefox
    I don't think the current firefox has GPU acceleration, you need Firefox BETA or Minefield.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DotNetWill wrote: »
    I know more than most how well integrated in to the OS it is, but I disagree it should cause a reboot. I would imagine, and hope, the parts of the trident rending engine used to display parts of Explorer etc are not being updated to the IE9 version. It will more likely be bug fixes and the DLL will be protected by WRT hence the reboot. I don't see why that should force me to reboot when all I want to do is try it out.

And, yes, rebooting is a big deal. I'm sat here wtih two chrome instances open, Outlook, 2x VS, 1xBlend and several RDP sessions. Aswell as a being connected to a US VPN to stream Pandora. I rarely shut my machine down and reopening them is a pita

Then keep a VM handy to check things out?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    timperry26 wrote: »
    IE8 just seems bloated compared to this.

I like the User Interface as its a much cleaner and crisp layout,overall just looks better

Adobe flash objects run very well.

I tried the fish benchmark I get full 60 fps on full screen, so I guess its using all my cores

The idea is that most of the work done for the fish test is done by the GPU rather than the CPU so if all your cores are being used by IE9, that's not a good sign.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    late8 wrote: »

Still isnt as fast as Chrome on day to day browsing.

General consensus at the moment seems to be that it's faster than FF3.6 but slower than Chrome.

But I guess the most important thing is perhaps not being the very fastest but having closed down the gap significantly. Shows hope for the IE dev team. You only need to close the gap down to a level where active effort is required to perceive the speed difference.

Lots of people still use IE because:
    a) don't know any better
    b) can't be bothered to change
    c) not allowed to change e.g. in the workplace

IE9 probably most beneficial for c)
  • timperry26timperry26 Posts: 1,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheBigM wrote: »
    The idea is that most of the work done for the fish test is done by the GPU rather than the CPU so if all your cores are being used by IE9, that's not a good sign.

Yes, thats what I meant actualyl GPU! I checked the clock speeds
  • JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    Not used IE for years, is there an ad-blocker for IE9?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LastPass seems to work OK with IE9 but you do have to fiddle with the commans bar to get the icon visible.