Options

Britons fund the taliban?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,497
Forum Member
✭✭
According to this article. The biggest percent of funding to goes to the Taliban comes from UK.

I don't know if its true or not, but I horrified to think it might be,

Comments

• Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who's surprised by this?

I thought it was blatently obvious.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tysonstorm wrote: »
    Who's surprised by this?

I thought it was blatently obvious.

I am shocked, and disturbed by that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bambii wrote: »

Really?

I don't know what else to say TBH. I thought it was common knowlege.

Along with public funding you also have Governements and Govt agencies fund terrorist organizations as well as funding coups against small foreign Governments. We also had McDonalds (yes the one with that big stupid clown) funding the IRA via Noraid.

So it comes to no surprise that many people who live in the UK are funding the Taliban and the like.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't say that I'm surprised either. I think some people would be shocked to learn how much this country and its people are despised by some, even if they live here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really?

I don't know what else to say TBH. I thought it was common knowlege.

lol I think I must just close my eyes to these things!! Live in my little happy bubble.

Sad thing is there is nothing we can really do about it!
  • Options
    Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remember tho who is saying this. The guy is trying to peptuate the idea that there forces are everywhere and can get 'us' anytime. He was hardly going to say anything different was it. Not saying there are not people in this coutry funding the taliban are with or without there knowledge, in fact we can assume there is rather safely I would say, but lets treat the source with a rather laaaaaarge pint of salt. After all was the commader going to say "well of course we are a rag tag bunch of people with very limited reach so if your watching this in the west your perfectly safe from us" :D The Taliban relay on legitimising themselves as speaking for all 'right minded' Muslims so this would well be part of that.

Reds under the beds for the 21st century.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lol I think I must just close my eyes to these things!! Live in my little happy bubble.

Sad thing is there is nothing we can really do about it!

TBH I wish I could go back inside my bubble. :(

It's a big, bad, scary world out there and TBH I wish I could ignore it all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sniffle774 wrote: »
    Remember tho who is saying this. The guy is trying to peptuate the idea that there forces are everywhere and can get 'us' anytime. He was hardly going to say anything different was it. Not saying there are not people in this coutry funding the taliban are with or without there knowledge, in fact we can assume there is rather safely I would say, but lets treat the source with a rather laaaaaarge pint of salt. After all was the commader going to say "well of course we are a rag tag bunch of people with very limited reach so if your watching this in the west your perfectly safe from us" :D The Taliban relay on legitimising themselves as speaking for all 'right minded' Muslims so this would well be part of that.

Reds under the beds for the 21st century.

Yes this was my first thought. I do believe there are some people that will give their money to these people, but its a big claim to say that most of their funding comes from muslims in the UK.

They are still hiding out in the mountains and doing IMO cowardly attacks, so they can't be that well off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TBH I wish I could go back inside my bubble. :(

It's a big, bad, scary world out there and TBH I wish I could ignore it all.

I think I just have a bad habbit of turning a blind eye until it affects me. I like to sort out immediate problems rather than worry about what might be.
  • Options
    trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes this was my first thought. I do believe there are some people that will give their money to these people, but its a big claim to say that most of their funding comes from muslims in the UK.

They are still hiding out in the mountains and doing IMO cowardly attacks, so they can't be that well off.

I'm pretty sure most of their funding comes from Pakistan.

You have to remember who the Taliban were making these claims to.
  • Options
    Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Also depends on the level of the funding, if they only get £20 a year and £15 quid of that comes from the UK that would come under his claim :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

True a comment like that can install a level of mistrust! I imagine thats what they want!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,908
    Forum Member

Exactly where from Pakistan? Pakistan is on its knees after the earthquake, the floods and the war on terror. Yes, Pakistan has its extreme radical groups that most likely do support the Afghani Tabliban, but Pakistan as a state, doesn't endorse or sponsor terrorisim. I would imagine they're being funded by some extreme groups around the world who, somewhat idiotically, align themeselves with their cause.

According to this article. The biggest percent of funding to goes to the Taliban comes from UK.

I don't know if its true or not, but I horrified to think it might be,

Probably some extreme idiots.
  • Options
    trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Riccy wrote: »
    Exactly where from Pakistan? Pakistan is on its knees after the earthquake, the floods and the war on terror. Yes, Pakistan has its extreme radical groups that most likely do support the Afghani Tabliban, but Pakistan as a state, doesn't endorse or sponsor terrorisim. I would imagine they're being funded by some extreme groups around the world who, somewha,t idiotically align themeselves with their cause.

Probably some extreme idiots.

I wasn't implying that the Pakistan government was funding them :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The article itself actually states no governing body funds them its individual groups that give the funding.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always thought they were mainly funded by drug money, anyway, and not private donations. If drug money is involved then the donations must be a hell of a lot to beat that.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Nor did I say you were, but the original Afghnai Taliban was helped in creation by sorts by Bhutto's liberal government at that time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The article itself actually states no governing body funds them its individual groups that give the funding.

Individual groups in the UK?
    I always thought they were mainly funded by drug money, anyway, and not private donations. If drug money is involved then the donations must be a hell of a lot to beat that.

I would imagine it's a combination of both.
  • Options
    Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,046
    Forum Member
    ts. We also had McDonalds (yes the one with that big stupid clown) funding the IRA via Noraid.

No we didn't - that's one of the great urban myths of our time.

On topic - the Taliban are hardly likely to say "We get very little money from the UK, and actually there is no chance of us successfully carrying out an operation in the foreseeable future". I've no doubt that some funds from the UK find their way there, but unless the Taliban open their accounts to scutiny, I'll take their claims with a pinch of salt. I would suggest that drugs/extortion and other criminal acts are their main source of funds.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Riccy wrote: »
    Individual groups in the UK?

From the article:
    We are not like a government, we depend on individuals. We get donations from our Muslim brothers in Britain for Jihad. It is the duty of all Muslims to pay towards fighting Jihad. This is how we get our money and buy our weapons and carry on fighting.
  • Options
    The 12th DoctorThe 12th Doctor Posts: 4,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh stop playing the eye-blinking innocent moralist.

This is worse than the guy who didn't know prison officers were in on smuggling as much as the inmates.

What sort of perpetually brainwashed country do we live in? What ever happened to opening our eyes and smelling the coffee, or using common sense?

Sheeesh!! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    camercamer Posts: 5,237
    Forum Member
    Correct me if I am wrong but did the U.K not sell of its old harrier jump jet aircraft to Pakistan recently ?
  • Options
    KalmiaKalmia Posts: 493
    Forum Member

Same here. I was reading an article about the poppy fields in Afghanistan earlier and how it's becoming impossible to destroy any significant number of them due to many things such as Taliban protection.

I have no doubt they get some money from the UK but most? I don't know about that (unless they're counting British heroin addicts)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh stop playing the eye-blinking innocent moralist.

This is worse than the guy who didn't know prison officers were in on smuggling as much as the inmates.

What sort of perpetually brainwashed country do we live in? What ever happened to opening our eyes and smelling the coffee, or using common sense?

Sheeesh!! :rolleyes:

I am not playing at anything, I was genuinely shocked by that! And you can have your :rolleyes: back:cool:
  • Options
    The 12th DoctorThe 12th Doctor Posts: 4,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am not playing at anything, I was genuinely shocked by that! And you can have your :rolleyes: back:cool:

If anything like that genuinely shocks you, then you need to take that blindfold off and move out of the cave you clearly live in ;)