Options

For the first time in 15+ years, I wish I had Virgin and not Sky now

rewindrewind Posts: 2,636
Forum Member
✭✭✭
One word: TiVo.

I know it is quite expensive (£150 - £250 depending on subscription type) as you never own the box but after owning the original UK TiVo, it is a brilliant piece of kit.

Sky's VoD/EPG will definitely be inferior now. I think Sky probably know this which is why they are buying up content. However as Virgin offer catch-up TV and enough HD for me, I really wish I was in a Virgin area so I could give them a go.

I guess that is the main issue - Sky know that not everyone can get Virgin so it isn't really an issue for them.

For those of you who are in a Virgin area, are you considering changing?

http://tivo.virginmedia.com/

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 147
    Forum Member
    I'll be switching if my job is safe (find out in a few weeks).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    rewind wrote: »

I know it is quite expensive (£150 - £250 depending on subscription type) as you never own the box but after owning the original UK TiVo, it is a brilliant piece of kit.

Sky's VoD/EPG will definitely be inferior now. I think Sky probably know this which is why they are buying up content. However as Virgin offer catch-up TV and enough HD for me, I really wish I was in a Virgin area so I could give them a go.

I guess that is the main issue - Sky know that not everyone can get Virgin so it isn't really an issue for them.

switch to the best you know it makes sence :)
  • Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    Looks a bit sparse on the connections front.
    Only one SCART, and no other analogue outputs, and no UHF RF connections either for those who use that for distribution to other rooms.
    Although TIVO has a very high reputation among those who would want to use its facilities, I think the number of people who will defect from Sky to Virgin just to get it (if they can) will be a pretty tiny proportion of Sky's user base.
    I shouldn't think the Sky bosses are losing any sleep over it!
    :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although I like Sky and won't switch, it's good that they might have a bit of healthy competition and Tivo might assist in making Virgin more competitive. It COULD be good for the consumer in the long-run.
  • Options
    mitchec1mitchec1 Posts: 658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's something I'm looking at tbh, but I'm still weighing up my options.

I don't watch a lot of live tv due to shifts (except sports) so I'm going to wait and see what the first users report on how it works as pvr and if VM have manged to mess it up in anyway.

Also for myself if I move the loss of Skyplayer and being able to watch live sporting events on my laptop would be a big blow and most probably outweigh any benefit I'd gain from Tivo
  • Options
    Random PrecisionRandom Precision Posts: 5,579
    Forum Member
    I won't be shifting, I've bought a 3D TV and although there isn't a lot of 3D content around yet, Sky certainly have more than Virgin.
  • Options
    BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    I am in a Virgin are and it will NOT be tempting me to change - I regard a cable/satellite PVR as a means to change channels and store content - my (upgraded to 1Tb) Sky+HD does all I want it to!

Virgin Tivo looks like it will be a high cost (towards something which is NEVER owned) plus it requires you to stay on their top TV tier!
  • Options
    simon194simon194 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mind you a couple of years down the line who's to say that the Sky HD boxes won't be more like Tivo in functionality. Sky already use searchable databases for their online TV listings and there's no reason why they can't be used as a basis for an enhanced search option on the HD boxes.
  • Options
    rewindrewind Posts: 2,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simon194 wrote: »
    Mind you a couple of years down the line who's to say that the Sky HD boxes won't be more like Tivo in functionality. Sky already use searchable databases for their online TV listings and there's no reason why they can't be used as a basis for an enhanced search option on the HD boxes.

True. As has been seen by the new EPG roll out and to a lesser degree Anytime+, Sky seem to take ages rolling new products out though. Maybe TiVo will cause them to speed up a bit!
  • Options
    jde-tvjde-tv Posts: 4,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whats the main difference between a tivo box and the normal Virgin box? :s
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mitchec1 wrote: »
    It's something I'm looking at tbh, but I'm still weighing up my options.

I don't watch a lot of live tv due to shifts (except sports) so I'm going to wait and see what the first users report on how it works as pvr and if VM have manged to mess it up in anyway.

Also for myself if I move the loss of Skyplayer and being able to watch live sporting events on my laptop would be a big blow and most probably outweigh any benefit I'd gain from Tivo

One of the things with Tivo as shown by Virgin is that you can start watching a program and then if the kids come in switch watching to a laptop or mobile phone.

Not sure how it will work away from the home but we will soon know.....
  • Options
    swillsswills Posts: 4,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

£250 and you DON'T own it ! AND you have to be on the Top tier...... and someone said Sky was a rip off ! :D

also someone seems to have forgotten to put any connections on the back 1 x scart 1 xHDMI and that seems about it
  • Options
    foxlafoxla Posts: 1,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big_Ted wrote: »
    One of the things with Tivo as shown by Virgin is that you can start watching a program and then if the kids come in switch watching to a laptop or mobile phone.

What :eek: kids come in a YOU end up watching on a laptop or mobile phone!
    Tell 'em to bugger off you are watching something:)
  • Options
    DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whatever bells and whistles Virgin could offer me, I just remember how that the Sky channels were off air for months on cable and who's to say it won't happen again? I am sure Sky will respond to the Tivo 'threat' infact, has anyone heard any whispers on a new Sky+HD box?

PJ
  • Options
    mitchec1mitchec1 Posts: 658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Big_Ted wrote: »

Yes I've spent time at my friends in the US and have used this feature very useful.

Unless I can watch live sports on a laptop away from the home I'd seriously have to think about it and the answer tbh would be no.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    I dont understand why "not owning" your box is such a bad thing. I paid Virgin £75 for the V+ box, about 4 years ago. Last week the box died on me and Virgin sent an engineer out the next day with a brand new box, no charge. No matter how you look at it, that is a very good thing.

What are the advantages of owning the box?
  • Options
    RoweyRowey Posts: 2,154
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jagsman411 wrote: »
    Last week the box died on me and Virgin sent an engineer out the next day with a brand new box, no charge.
    You already said you paid £75. Thats what the £75 is for. The £75 wasn't to buy it as you were only ever renting it each month from them.
    jagsman411 wrote: »
    What are the advantages of owning the box?
    One great advantage is if ever you lose your job or are short on money. You can simply stop paying SKY each month and you can still watch All the Free HD channels and 100s of SD channels. If a few months later you can afford/want the pay channels again, its just a quick call and you're all back up and running.

With Virgin they want the box back as soon as you stop paying them money.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DarthFader wrote: »
    Whatever bells and whistles Virgin could offer me, I just remember how that the Sky channels were off air for months on cable and who's to say it won't happen again? I am sure Sky will respond to the Tivo 'threat' infact, has anyone heard any whispers on a new Sky+HD box?

PJ

You have to be joking right........:eek:

The only project known about was Darwin, the anytime+ project.

It takes Sky so long to even modify the current EPG that I wouldn't expect anything for several years. Even then it will probably not be as good as what Virgin offer with Tivo.:D

As to Sky channels being off Cable, Virgin's deal for Living TV channels was for 9 years on Virgin platform plus access to Sky channels for VOD etc. :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    Rowey wrote: »
    You already said you paid £75. Thats what the £75 is for. The £75 wasn't to buy it as you were only ever renting it each month from them.

So after 4 years I have paid a total of £75 and I have a brand new box. That works out at £1.56 a month for 4 years, and at the end of it I now have a brand new box, which I dont pay for.

How much would I have had to pay if I had went for Sky instead? I dont know the exact prices, but i think their Sky +HD box would be about £150, and if it broke it would cost more money for a replacement, unless I had paid for insurance cover on the box, which would be what, another £5 a month.

So after my 4 years with Sky I would have paid about £400, but I would still have to pay for a new box.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Read it and weep :p

Interview with Cindy Rose......Some quotes......

Read it all :D

“We are premium-positioning,” Rose says, whilst demoing the box for paidContent:UK at Virgin’s London HQ. “We’re initially positioning this as a high-end product as a tier on top of TV XL - £3 more expensive than the standard TV XL subscription. However, we intend to migrate our entire television customer base over to TiVo as our standard product within a matter of years, and not many years. That means, undoubtedly, we will course-correct, refine and review packaging and pricing decisions as we go to make that happen.” :D

http://paidcontent.co.uk/article/419-interview-virgin-medias-cindy-rose-on-the-connected-tv-explosion/

“We’re launching with a handful (of apps); within 12 months, we’ll have hundreds. We needed to start with the household names.” But the system is not yet so open that there is a software developers kit, nor a sense of what criteria for third parties’ admission should be - that will come in 2011. :eek:

Subscription services welcome

In the States, TiVo Premiere also offers third-party entertainment services from Blockbuster (NYSE: BBI), Netflix (NSDQ: NFLX), Pandora, Rhapsody, MusicChoice, Live365 and more. So could Virgin’s Brit TiVo offer equivalents like Lovefilm and Spotify?

“We’re talking to everybody - all those that you named and more,” says Rose. “We’re very open to all of them. It’s just a question of doing the right deal, making sure our customers actually want it - power to the people; we’re a Virgin company. We’ve got an online forum we’re moderating to ask what they want.” :eek::eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Looks like Virgin are onto a winner here..

"It is, quite simply, stunning. Both super quick and intuitive, there's a raft of cunning technologies whizzing about behind the scenes that make for the most pleasant TV experience on the market today."

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/37064/virgin-media-tivo-box-unveiled

Also confirmed, Virgin TiVo will make use of the amazing new feature rich iPad app

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkJXxe7GLH4
  • Options
    foxlafoxla Posts: 1,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so it's going to be £199 plus £40 install, albeit not yours, and another £3 per month on top of the XL package !

So looks like if you are on any other TV package hard luck, you will have to upgrade to XL or will that be XL+
  • Options
    ek-ukek-uk Posts: 2,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although I like Sky and won't switch, it's good that they might have a bit of healthy competition and Tivo might assist in making Virgin more competitive. It COULD be good for the consumer in the long-run.

Good reply. I like competition also.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Speaking as someone who's had one of the original UK TiVos for just over ten years now, there's no question about it - unless they find some exceptional way to mess it up, the VM TiVo is a must-have. Leaves everything else in the dust. It really is that good.
  • Options
    BigFoot87BigFoot87 Posts: 9,293
    Forum Member
    Sky are usually good at near zero-day responses when a competitor makes a major announcement.

VM Day? Sky annouce Picnic.
    BT get Sky Sports Channels? Sky raise retail prices.
    VM get Sky HD Channels? Sky announce Sky Atlantic.

VM show off Tivo? Sky's response.......nothing, so far today.

I'm sure Sky will respond eventually, actually I hope they do because that will keep Virgin on their toes. And if today's news from Virgin makes Sky improve their software, then that's a win-win for the customer regardless of what platform you use.