Options

Buying Your Council House

Comments

• Options
    Pepperoni ManPepperoni Man Posts: 7,798
    Forum Member
    But that's not hard to believe is it. If someone doesn't get problems with their home, & they do the decorating themselves, it's quite believable that the landlord wont be paying a dime on maintenance.

But I was referring to a poster who had indicated that they were unhappy because their landlord wasn't spending any money on their property not that the house was in perfect condition and needed no money spent on it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    Our's do.

We've been here ten years and in that time, no repairs. They did put a gate on before I moved in.:D

Sorry - I really do find that hard to believe - your house must be starting to fall apart if you haven't even had a washer replaced in that time

Why don't you move somewhere else ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I

After years in a place it's your home - not just a house. No reason why people shouldnt be able to buy it if they've paid over and over again over a decade or more, rent for a property which was probably bought by 1960 and has had no or little, repairs or work done on it. Essentially, our rents are money for old rope for the council - and as we don't have many of the services council tax pays for yet we're not only in a council house but in a HIGHER council tax banding (due to our council homes being in a pretty, rural area) - then we're giving them rent AND council tax.

Your logic is fascinating.

So you're saying that someone who has been living in a rented home in the private sector should be able to buy it from their landlord at a discount because they have been paying rent and have lived in the house a long time.

The rent you pay isn't simply used for maintenance - it gets used for the provision of staff who provide the newsletters, consultations on major works, tenants forums, dealing with anti social behaviour, collecting arrears, court action etc etc etc

If you think the very low rent you pay is money for old rope you need to get yourself in the real world and understand that socal housing tenants, especially council tenants get a very good service for their rent compared to other forms of tenure
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry - I really do find that hard to believe - your house must be starting to fall apart if you haven't even had a washer replaced in that time

Why don't you move somewhere else ?

It's not falling apart, oddly. Maybe these 1930s houses are better built than new ones. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's not falling apart, oddly. Maybe these 1930s houses are better built than new ones. :)

They are well built - that's true
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MalUK wrote: »
    It's also created problems for future generation who need social housing. There should have been some sort of agreement to build a new social house for each one that was sold.

Yes, there seems to have been no provision for this at all. And of course all the spacious houses were snapped up, leaving councils like ours with a residue of high-rise flats that are deemed unsuitable for families. I used to have a colleague with three children under five who was offered a key worker's flat on the 12th floor of a multi-story block - the best they could find.

I also know someone who bought her council house at the maximum (60%) discount available at the time, got a better job, bought a bigger house, then rented the first house back to the council at a nice profitable rent. So the council sold a house then had to pay private sector rents to get the use of it back. Very helpful for everyone.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I also know someone who bought her council house at the maximum (60%) discount available at the time, got a better job, bought a bigger house, then rented the first house back to the council at a nice profitable rent. So the council sold a house then had to pay private sector rents to get the use of it back. Very helpful for everyone.

yep - that has frequently happened
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    essexsteve wrote: »
    Just googled and could not find one of those "plenty of opportunities" on the private market.

You may well have such a contract but please do not mislead people that these are common place when they quite clearly are not.

I think it must be a new-build that the builders were finding hard to shift. All sorts of sweeteners have been offered vis a vis new build flats that you would never normally get. I should think an ordinary private sector landlord would have a stroke if you suggested such a deal though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are well built - that's true

In the 1990s my dad sold a piece of land - around an acre and in what had been part of our back garden they built an entuire, executive estate of 'luxury', apparently top end new builds.

My dad was horrified to spot that these things had unseasoned roof timbers. He used to do a bit of surveying and knew what he was seeing. They were the size of rabbit hutches - there was an entire house on what had been our sandpit. (And there's still a 1960's 007 car with ejector seat somewhere in there which is probably worth what my dad paid for that land in the 1950s!)

He was shocked not only at the speed these things went up, but the bad workmanship and rubbish materials they used. From what he said, I'd suspect a 1930s/40s council house would be a better built house...

Even when last year we had the European funded scheme for 'Better Homes' - the money spent out on each house was very erratic. I already had an adequate coal fire and rubbish - but operational - 1970's storage heating. A woman with kids in the village here has no heating in her entire house apart from the one coal fire in the living room. They gave me brand new, state of the art coal fired central heating. She got nothing. I also had my kitchen which was vile but not terrible - stripped out and replaced. It is a huge ktichen so it was a lot of cabinets. This lady got nothing yet her kitchen was 20 years older than mine.
  • Options
    nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    I think it must be a new-build that the builders were finding hard to shift. All sorts of sweeteners have been offered vis a vis new build flats that you would never normally get. I should think an ordinary private sector landlord would have a stroke if you suggested such a deal though.
    Nope, very old building.
  • Options
    Cult of Z-ListCult of Z-List Posts: 5,113
    Forum Member
    Yes, there seems to have been no provision for this at all. And of course all the spacious houses were snapped up, leaving councils like ours with a residue of high-rise flats that are deemed unsuitable for families. I used to have a colleague with three children under five who was offered a key worker's flat on the 12th floor of a multi-story block - the best they could find.

Sounds like a very sharp business woman to me :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i currently have the old heating and big boiler tanks in one of the bedrooms and the heating is turned on and off by that switch with blue and red colours with the manual timer on them.

Got letter from luton borough council they will be replacing/upgrading the heating.

i got friends with the new boilers and heating where you just turn on the switch and hot water starts coming out straight away rather than the system i have where it takes at least 1 hour for water to get warm let alone hot.

anyone know if the council will install the same one as them?
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    essexsteve wrote: »
    Well post me a link to say then if i privately rent then that rent will be taken off my purchase price my town is full of estate agents though i have seen absouluely none offering this deal.

You said in a previous post 40, that it happens in the private sector.

I can remember seeing offers like this, but it was just certain developers offering new build properties on a basis of "rent now, and if you buy we'll knock the rent you've paid off the purchase price." Obviously, with time constraints.

Like this one:
    erm... OK... not really sure what else I can say. There are plenty of opportunities for deals like this on the private market. It was offered to me, I didn't even need to ask for it. You can either believe me and look for your own deal, or disbelieve me and miss out. Really doesn't bother me either way.

It's in my contract that if I buy after 1 year I get 100% of all rent paid back. After 2 year I get 50% of all rent back. They also guarantee to hold the value of the property for 1 year, so if the market goes up my flat doesn't. :)
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    That's because they don't:D I wish people would do their homework.:D

Of course taxpayers pay for the discount - because the council (paid for by the taxpayer) is being cheated out of receiving the full market value of the property. This means the council has less capital receipts to invest (providing more funds for services) and/or less ability to undertake capital spending on more houses/schools etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    slightly amusing that the aim behind the right to buy was obviously to increase the Conservative majority, based on the fact that homeowners were much more likely to vote Conservative than tenants. We then went on to have 13 years of Labour government.

Only slightly amusing though, because it's not as if the Labour government did anything about it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anyone read the news bout this? cap raised to 75k from next month
  • Options
    flashgordon1952flashgordon1952 Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this year is the year to do it while prices are at there lowest ! This could be the last chance as well before all the older council houses are bought.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    does anyone have an answer to this?

if the tenancy isnt in your name but you have lived in the house for the number of years required to buy it, can you get the morgage only in your name or do you have to involve all of the people that are named in the buying application ie the tenants?
    what if the tenant has a bad credit history and will be better to not have them in the mortgage application?
  • Options
    malaikahmalaikah Posts: 20,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    are prices at their lowest though? or have they just stalled?
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hardtarget wrote: »
    if the tenancy isnt in your name but you have lived in the house for the number of years required to buy it, can you get the morgage only in your name or do you have to involve all of the people that are named in the buying application ie the tenants?
    what if the tenant has a bad credit history and will be better to not have them in the mortgage application?

Broadly speaking, only the tenant can be the purchaser, and the mortgage has to be in the name of the purchaser. Some lenders will allow third parties to be guarantors to the mortgage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm waiting to see if the tories get through the proposed bigger discounts. If they do I will buy my house (or get my son to buy it) and then vote Labour anyways.
  • Options
    malaikahmalaikah Posts: 20,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hardtarget wrote: »
    anyone read the news bout this? cap raised to 75k from next month

edited, sorry I get it
  • Options
    slappers r usslappers r us Posts: 56,131
    Forum Member
    I do know a couple from Hammersmith who bought their council house getting a full discount and 100% mortgage from the local authority then at the height of the boom sold it

they retired up here into a nice four bedroomed farm house with bit of land after selling their ex council house at a huge profit

they also let out their deseased parents flat that was bought by their parents and left to them at £1,100 a month

they are quite honest that they would be still working and not retired if not for the right to buy
  • Options
    QTC13QTC13 Posts: 3,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All this outrage over people using their discount to buy their council houses and sell on for maximum profit is confusing. Who, given half the chance, WOULDN'T do it. One of my neighbors bought their council house for £16,500 and sold it years later for £124,000! Was I outraged? Nope. Good luck to them.

The real problem is/was that money raised over the years wasn't used to build more houses to replace those sold.
  • Options
    ee-ayee-ay Posts: 3,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Broadly speaking, only the tenant can be the purchaser, and the mortgage has to be in the name of the purchaser. Some lenders will allow third parties to be guarantors to the mortgage.

Not true

Link

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndCommunity/BuyingAndSellingYourHome/HomeBuyingSchemes/DG_4001398

You can make a ‘joint application’ to buy your home through Right to Buy with someone who shares the tenancy with you or with members of your family. They must have lived with you for the past 12 months.