Options

Orthodox Jewish sect ban women from driving in London

Comments

• Options
    jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    Ads wrote: »
    Surely OFCOM should urgently shut this school down. God knows what sort of misogynistic values are being taught to the kids there.

Why would OFCOM shut a school down?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Are you honestly defending this? :confused:

It isn't about defending it - I think it is 'batshit crazy' too - but it isn't against the law and I simply don't think it could or should be.
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,059
    Forum Member
    jesaya wrote: »

Whoops OFSTED :blush:
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member

High energy pricing :D
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

According to the OP "there's been a clear breach of UK law" - what that law is nobody knows as the OP can't / won't answer the question.
  • Options
    The 12th DoctorThe 12th Doctor Posts: 4,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What. Law. Have. They. Broken?

Simple question, mate. And anyway, can they even enforce this? Answer, no.
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,059
    Forum Member

If a majority white school banned black fathers driving their kids to school would that be ok with you?
  • Options
    GeneralissimoGeneralissimo Posts: 6,289
    Forum Member
    Nope, because sex discrimination only covers things like emplyment; services; education... ie things the state or companies offer to people (like a job or a house or buying something in a shop). There is no law that says they, or anyone else, can't say "I don't want women to drive".

They are talking about barring children from entry if their mothers drive them to school, that would surely breach the Equality Act 2010.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What law have they broken?

It might be a bit questionable to turn children away from school.

Although knowing how utterly bloody farcical this country is, they'd probably then prosecute the Mother for keeping the kid off school.
  • Options
    Paulie WalnutsPaulie Walnuts Posts: 3,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rjb101 wrote: »
    These are the same people who have sex through a hole in a sheet.................................

This is a complete & utter fallacy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If a majority white school banned black fathers driving their kids to school would that be ok with you?

What law would be contravened by saying anyone should stop driving? If they stop children attending school because of the sex or race of the person driving them then it could be seen as secondary discrimination - however they have only 'encouraged' the school to do so and that, of itself, is not unlawful. Barking yes, unlawful, no.
  • Options
    SOHCAHTOA88SOHCAHTOA88 Posts: 2,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Has the school actually agreed to this (turning away children driven by their mothers)?
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    Nobody is forced to practice a particular religion. If people want to do so, they have to live by the rules of that religion, no matter how ridiculous, I suppose.

I'll happily remain an atheist.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    abarthman wrote: »
    Nobody is forced to practice a particular religion. If people want to do so, they have to live by the rules of that religion, no matter how ridiculous, I suppose.

I'll happily remain an atheist.

I confess that I've never read the Torah and so I'm happy to be corrected, but I'm 99% certain that it doesn't mention whether or not women are allowed to drive cars. This is pure sexism and has nothing to do with religion.
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm not defending anything at the moment, simply want to know about the claim the OP made. :confused: but doubt I'll get an answer this century.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I confess that I've never read the Torah and so I'm happy to be corrected, but I'm 99% certain that it doesn't mention whether or not women are allowed to drive cars. This is pure sexism and has nothing to do with religion.

Well of course it is sexist, but they are basing it on modesty (and not subjecting women to the aggressive road-rage drivers out there... which evidently shows they have never driven with my wife, whose language would make a sailor blush when someone cuts her up on the motorway). Orthodox religions of every type generally do not favour equality for women.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think the closest thing would be driving to shul on Shabbat, but that applies to both sexes. Driving involves sparking a flame according to religious scholars, which is prohibited on Shabbat, but again that's applied to both sexes. And only Orthodox Jews observe these finer details because more liberal branches tend to be less adherent to halacha. As for this particular thing I don't think there's a religious basis for this.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Maybe harassment - link
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well of course it is sexist, but they are basing it on modesty (and not subjecting women to the aggressive road-rage drivers out there... which evidently shows they have never driven with my wife, whose language would make a sailor blush when someone cuts her up on the motorway). Orthodox religions of every type generally do not favour equality for women.

They are, of course, entitled to express their opinion on the matter but if they follow through on their threats to exclude children if their mothers defy the 'ban' then they will be in breach of the law (as far as I can tell anyway).
    I think the closest thing would be driving to shul on Shabbat, but that applies to both sexes. Driving involves sparking a flame according to religious scholars, which is prohibited on Shabbat, but again that's applied to both sexes. And only Orthodox Jews observe these finer details because more liberal branches tend to be less adherent to halacha. As for this particular thing I don't think there's a religious basis for this.

Thanks for that, it never ceases to amaze me the creative ways some religious people will attempt to apply ancient documents to modern life!

If they were to 'ban' all parents from driving their kids to school then that may also be discriminatory too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    Maybe harassment - link

Not sure you could use that unless they actually told an individual woman.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So to clarify, no laws broken. Move along people.
  • Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There is a difference between "ok with" and querying what law has been broken.

Also this is not a meaningful comparison unless the black fathers were willing members of the organisation who believed that black fathers shouldn't drive.
  • Options
    scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But wouldn't that come under sex discrimination?

I doubt it.
  • Options
    scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely OFCOM should urgently shut this school down. God knows what sort of misogynistic values are being taught to the kids there.

Snigger!
  • Options
    soma_soma_ Posts: 6,024
    Forum Member
    But the point is, how are they getting away with this in Britain?

They impose much stricter rules in Israel. The Ultra-Orthodox cant be challenged easily since they also make up much of the 'settler' population.