Options

Was CBB a good career move for Amy Childs? [Pros&Cons]

madeinliverpoolmadeinliverpool Posts: 86
Forum Member
Pros:
  • 100K for 3 weeks on CBB = 50.00 a day on ToWIE
  • CBB is predicted to get at least twice ToWIE's average viewers at a minimum
  • She has shown loyalty to Desmond, and if she wants what Katie had at her peak she needs OK! and the Daily Star on her side
  • She was barely in the second series of ToWIE and series three apparently introduces even more cast members
  • She's probably the first on that show to established herself as "Amy Childs" rather than a ToWIE cast member

Cons:
  • CBB on Channel 5 could very likely be vaguely remembered as a pop culture punch line like that going into space show on Channel 4 half a decade or so ago
  • Most of the CBB8 celebrities are at the end of their careers/have never even had a career bar Jedward and arguably Kerry - guilty by association?
  • She's alienated ITV and an ITV2 spin-off would have been perfect for her (but perhaps she wasn't allowed)
  • As she was an ITV personality at one point I'm A Celebrity... would have loved to have had her on (I'm sure) - I'm A Celebrity... gets better viewers and hasn't destroyed careers/made hate figures of people like BB can and has

So do you think CBB will lead to some career longevity for Amy in the same way I'm A Celebrity did for Peter, Katie and Myleene. Or was it a DISATROUS choice?

I suppose time will tell if Amy will be a Jodie or a Katie. And regardless of what you think of the latter EVERY zeleb aspires to have what she had (well what she had say, before 2009).

Comments

• Options
    ScrubberScrubber Posts: 4,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They get payed 50 a day on Essex? Ha, i wouldn't have bothered.

I think it was a good move and could open up something new for her, but if it doesn't she doesn't have anything to fall back on. It's a toughy.
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pros:
    • 100K for 3 weeks on CBB = 50.00 a day on ToWIE
    • CBB is predicted to get at least twice ToWIE's average viewers at a minimum
    • She has shown loyalty to Desmond, and if she wants what Katie had at her peak she needs OK! and the Daily Star on her side
    • She was barely in the second series of ToWIE and series three apparently introduces even more cast members
    • She's probably the first on that show to established herself as "Amy Childs" rather than a ToWIE cast member

Cons:
    • CBB on Channel 5 could very likely be vaguely remembered as a pop culture punch line like that going into space show on Channel 4 half a decade or so ago
    • Most of the CBB8 celebrities are at the end of their careers/have never even had a career bar Jedward and arguably Kerry - guilty by association?
    • She's alienated ITV and an ITV2 spin-off would have been perfect for her (but perhaps she wasn't allowed)
    • As she was an ITV personality at one point I'm A Celebrity... would have loved to have had her on (I'm sure) - I'm A Celebrity... gets better viewers and hasn't destroyed careers/made hate figures of people like BB can and has

So do you think CBB will lead to some career longevity for Amy in the same way I'm A Celebrity did for Peter, Katie and Myleene. Or was it a DISATROUS choice?

I suppose time will tell if Amy will be a Jodie or a Katie. And regardless of what you think of the latter EVERY zeleb aspires to have what she had (well what she had say, before 2009).

:confused::confused::confused:what career???
  • Options
    SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :confused::confused::confused:what career???

Nuts...
  • Options
    madeinliverpoolmadeinliverpool Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    pork.pie wrote: »
    Nuts...

Girls like her. Boys think she's fit. She's very pretty and very young. She's considered a bit of a pop culture phenomenon by Gen Y. There's no reason she couldn't have a clothing line, TV show, perfumes, more magazine covers, if her next few steps are the right ones.
  • Options
    SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Girls like her. Boys think she's fit. She's very pretty and very young. She's considered a bit of a pop culture phenomenon by Gen Y. There's no reason she couldn't have a clothing line, TV show, perfumes, more magazine covers, if her next few steps are the right ones.

She will be more successful in Nuts... or does she have a hidden talent? Plaiting fog perhaps?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of Towie was a bit scripted and she sounded as if she were reading an autocue, she was a bit wooden for example 'Nah Lyd, ah don't fancy arg....starring into apparent space!!

But here one can see the real Amy, I thinks she's quite nice and has a great sense of humour. Maybe she could do a bit of modelling. But I do prefer watching her in this.
  • Options
    rated_2000rated_2000 Posts: 2,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I certanly dont think she was the star of the show on TOWIE

she stood out no better than Mark, Arg, Lauren, Joey Essex, Kirk, Mick, Lauren Pope, Nanny Pat etc etc.

And the streets of Brentwood are lined with dumb babes wanting her spot, she wont be missed with Maria Fowler, Chloe (Joeys cousin) who i think plays the dumb bird better than amy anyway and others waiting in the wings.

so it could turnn out to be a good move for her, Yes IAC would habe been a better move, But if Desmond pushes her as the next Jordan things could work well. All she has too do is not come across as a bitch and she will be ok going forward
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rated_2000 wrote: »
    I certanly dont think she was the star of the show on TOWIE

she stood out no better than Mark, Arg, Lauren, Joey Essex, Kirk, Mick, Lauren Pope, Nanny Pat etc etc.

And the streets of Brentwood are lined with dumb babes wanting her spot, she wont be missed with Maria Fowler, Chloe (Joeys cousin) who i think plays the dumb bird better than amy anyway and others waiting in the wings.

so it could turnn out to be a good move for her, Yes IAC would habe been a better move, But if Desmond pushes her as the next Jordan things could work well. All she has too do is not come across as a bitch and she will be ok going forward

I agree
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member

Sounds like she could be the next Josie;)
  • Options
    KingsyKingsy Posts: 1,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Financially, yes it's the best option for her. The problem is if it's a valid springboard into more work. TOWIE was pretty secure.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    I'd never even heard of her before, I've never watched even a minute of TOWIE. She's young, pretty and just about warm and articulate enough to re-invent herself as a presenter or something with longevity, like fashion. Would I read a newspaper article or watch something because she was in it now? Depending on the subject matter, maybe. Apart from being mind blowingly ignorant she's doing ok so far. If she's got a good plan it's a gamble that could pay off.
  • Options
    LucypherLucypher Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course it was a good career move. Half of us didn't even know who she was. I tried to watch TOWIE once and had to turn it off, it was absolute rubbish. I don't know why some members of the viewing public put these non-people on a pedestal - buying their 'brands' - it's made the term 'celebrity' hollow and invalid. You can be a celebrity for being thick or acting thick, like Josie Gibson for example. I suppose it's the sad blokes who buy Nuts and the Daily Star who help forge the 'career' of girls like Amy Childs. It annoys me, in this day and age, that women still have so little respect for their bodies.
  • Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TOWIE cast get a shockingly low amount for a TV show, so I'm not surprised she went on CBB.
  • Options
    glowboyglowboy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member
    I actually find it bemusing and hilarious that we are living through a time where people consider being followed by a camera crew or photographed for rubbish magazines as a "career".

People used to aspire to be doctors, lawyers, train drivers, astronauts, hairdressers...

Thanks to Katie Pwice, Kerry Katona, the "cast" of TOWIE et al, the idea of floating around with the 21st Century equivalent of dentures (ie. bright white veneers) and being papped, while doing absolutely nothing of any interest, is now a viable career option.

:eek:
  • Options
    Trappedin80'sTrappedin80's Posts: 6,270
    Forum Member
    Her being on CBB will make no difference to her future "career" in the media.

She was already with Claire Powell, so it's inevitable that she will, sooner or later, end up with her own ( fly on the wall ) series.

She's just the latest one to be shoved down peoples throats.

It won't stop now, unfortunately.
  • Options
    patsylimerickpatsylimerick Posts: 22,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amy Childs - a 21 year old who looks like a 35 year old, with a mouth reminiscent of a monkey chewing a half pound of nuts (Nuts?). She's either stupid or pretending to be stupid and that, apparently, is now classed as a 'career'. It's downright depressing. And just to release the inner bitch for a moment, she's a bit thick around the lower end for such a young girl, isn't she?

Lucypher wrote: »
    Of course it was a good career move. Half of us didn't even know who she was. I tried to watch TOWIE once and had to turn it off, it was absolute rubbish. I don't know why some members of the viewing public put these non-people on a pedestal - buying their 'brands' - it's made the term 'celebrity' hollow and invalid. You can be a celebrity for being thick or acting thick, like Josie Gibson for example. I suppose it's the sad blokes who buy Nuts and the Daily Star who help forge the 'career' of girls like Amy Childs. It annoys me, in this day and age, that women still have so little respect for their bodies.

Agree, absolutely agree.
  • Options
    Jay BigzJay Bigz Posts: 5,338
    Forum Member
    Lucypher wrote: »

Absolutely agree - It's the public who eat all of this up....People often blame the Z-listers, or the media, for this type of nonsense, but at the end of the day, it's the general public who decide to admire these morons.....A prime example was just taking a look at facebook a few weeks after TOWIE had started airing on ITV2 - All the 'omg I wanna live in essex' and 'I'm sooo gel' posts - It's like a bandwagon that everybody jumps on - sheep mentality. This culture will never die until the public stop lapping it up, whilst begging for more.

Amy Childs - Her 'career' depends on how she behaves for the rest of her stay...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    Amy will do well no matter what because the public seem to like celebs who act a bit dim. They loved/love jade goody, kerry and katie price and they're not the most inteligent women on the planet. the public find dumb women endearing and funny i think. They seem more down to earth. Although i do believe Amy knew full-well that Sally didn't own the house of commons but just made that dumb statement to try to be funny and get headlines. Although I don't think Amy is a rocket scientist, i don't think she's as dumb as she pretends to be. I think she plays up to the whole thick/dumb thing a bit cos she knows it makes funny tv.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    claire powell didn't get chantelle houghton or elen rives their own shows, so she might not get Amy one. Although my guess is that channel 5 may give amy her own show if she does well on cbb
  • Options
    crisis3crisis3 Posts: 2,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The media depends on the asperations of its audience whatever the medium. Unfortunately the real world hasnt kept up and many young adults are facing a future where non of their asperations are ever likely to materialise. Who would be a teenager starting out today the job market for most can only offer jobs that allow you to exist not grow and the jobs that do allow growth are going to be fillled for the next 30 years or more as non of us baby boomers has to retire anymore. So any one who breaks the mould and takes a risk and whatever you think of Amy she has taken that risk then I for one can at least give her a little respect for that. Those that sit at home and moan about thier plight I have no time for.
  • Options
    MartynMac123MartynMac123 Posts: 3,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think she is gonna turn out to be in top 2/3 and might win it :) so it's probably a good move for her :L
  • Options
    patsylimerickpatsylimerick Posts: 22,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crisis3 wrote: »
    The media depends on the asperations of its audience whatever the medium. Unfortunately the real world hasnt kept up and many young adults are facing a future where non of their asperations are ever likely to materialise. Who would be a teenager starting out today the job market for most can only offer jobs that allow you to exist not grow and the jobs that do allow growth are going to be fillled for the next 30 years or more as non of us baby boomers has to retire anymore. So any one who breaks the mould and takes a risk and whatever you think of Amy she has taken that risk then I for one can at least give her a little respect for that. Those that sit at home and moan about thier plight I have no time for.

I'm glad you added the qualifier, a 'little' respect, because surely it's not simply a dichotomy - you sit at home and moan or you become famous and relatively wealthy for being stupid. There are millions of people who aren't academically gifted who lead fulfilled and productive lives without sacrificing themselves at the altar of dumb.
  • Options
    phil solophil solo Posts: 9,669
    Forum Member
    Amy will do well no matter what because the public seem to like celebs who act a bit dim. They loved/love jade goody, kerry and katie price and they're not the most inteligent women on the planet. the public find dumb women endearing and funny i think. They seem more down to earth. Although i do believe Amy knew full-well that Sally didn't own the house of commons but just made that dumb statement to try to be funny and get headlines. Although I don't think Amy is a rocket scientist, i don't think she's as dumb as she pretends to be. I think she plays up to the whole thick/dumb thing a bit cos she knows it makes funny tv.

Which would make her an even more unpleasant and cynical opportunist exploiting the gullibility of amoeba-brained viewers for personal advancement.

Unvarnished opinion? She's inarticulate, uneducated, ignorant, vain and, one suspects, ill-suited to doing anything worthwhile or constructive with her life. In that she shares much in common with far too many of this nations youth.

That such people are widely idolised by the public, some of whom must surely be sufficiently bright to know better, is embarrassing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will she not go back to TOWIE when she gets out of the CBB House?
  • Options
    LucypherLucypher Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We must remember that we are that viewing public who watch these airheads!! I sometimes watch out of sheer fascination and especially this series of BB - to find out if it's any different, to see if the group dynamics kick off in exactly the same way they always do, albeit with different people, and to generally get involved in the madness of it all!