Options

Upstairs Downstairs ( BBC1 19/02/12 )

1202122232426»

Comments

• Options
    JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,102
    Forum Member
    I still have all six episodes on my planner to watch but so far only seen half of episode one. Couldnt really get into it. There some weird story about a dead monkey! My friend said the whole series was disappointing so may not bother with it. For me the original series will never be bettered. In time this new version will be forgotten but the original will still be remembered.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    I'm a bit disappointed by Heidi Thomas' reaction, to be honest. I adore her work, but feel that her response disrespects the history of the show and the actors, particularly Jean Marsh who loves the show.

If she was too busy, someone else could have taken over. One of the episodes was written by another writer who did a marvellous job, so I'm sure other writers of a similar calibre could be found.

I am also a little sad UD has been dropped - the new series would have been set during WWII so it wouldn't have been that difficult to find good storylines. It could have ended with the house closing down in 1945 and them all going their separate ways - so you had proper closure.

I actually found the last 15 mins of the final UD episode some of the best things I have seen in a UK drama for quite some time. Surely they could have found another writer - who clearly may have been stretched doing both this and Call the Midwife at the same time. But the BBC are getting like a commercial channel - most things get one series and are dropped.

For anyone who is interested the series 2 DVD goes on sale tomorrow - its £12.99.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Upstairs-Downstairs-Series-2-DVD/dp/B007A1S0L8
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    JEFF62 wrote: »
    I still have all six episodes on my planner to watch but so far only seen half of episode one. Couldnt really get into it. There some weird story about a dead monkey! My friend said the whole series was disappointing so may not bother with it. For me the original series will never be bettered. In time this new version will be forgotten but the original will still be remembered.

Ah, the favourite tradition of having strong opinions on something you have not seen ? :) If I gave up after half of any less than good episode I would never watch anything !! The monkey was a curious tale but the original UD had some poor episodes too, its the nature of TV.
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did a quick scout around - I can see the reason why the Beeb is so lacklustre....

Danny Cohen - previously with Channel 4 and Head of E4. Foisted Fonejacker and other shite on us...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Cohen

Zaf whoever - came from ITV2

MArk Thompson - came in from Channel 4 after heading it during the Big Brother period...

No WONDER there's the big "purchaser-broadcaster" vibe as opposed to the Cotton/Grade/Dyke period...

What a *stupid* decision...
  • Options
    penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    eye3 wrote: »
    The trouble is that it paled in comparison to the original which was loved around the world. Luckily we can still watch that on ITV3. In years to come, the ITV series will be enjoyed by new generations. The BBC episodes will be long forgotten.

For me, your point is on the money. I didn't like the new series and thought it was mistakenly conceived and improbably plotted. And it was always going to suffer against the original which was a masterpiece.
  • Options
    GloriaSnockersGloriaSnockers Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was the odd bit that had me glued to the screen, but I thought it was boring/just about watchable for the most part. Then it really started to pick up a bit towards the end of the final episode and I would have really liked to have found out what happens to most of them next. At which point, they've decided to finish it... and so nothing does.

The effect would have been the same if all those weeks had been used as a vehicle for the Duke of Kent to set the scene for The Marcel Marceau Radio Hour.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A duff decision by the BBC and if its ratings connected then that goes against the BBC not supposing to be influenced by ratings

If ITV have any sense they will enter discussions with Jean Marsh and Eileen Atkins and take it back to ITV where it began life.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    A duff decision by the BBC and if its ratings connected then that goes against the BBC not supposing to be influenced by ratings
    I would agree with that.
    If ITV have any sense they will enter discussions with Jean Marsh and Eileen Atkins and take it back to ITV where it began life.
    To compete with DA? I don't think so.
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    I would agree with that.

Then how about to COMPLETE THE BLOODY NARRATIVE?
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Upstairs need at least one more season to get us to the end of World War 2.

As Wild at Heart is now going maybe ITV should do the last season.

So that's two Sunday shows I follow gone.
    And unless something big comes to ITV Downton is the only thing I watch on ITV except some football (Chelsea, FA Cup Final, Champions League Final, and England if the get past the group stage in football or Rugby World Cup).
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    I would agree with that.

If ITV aired both DA and USDS they could be on at different times of the year so would not have to compete .
  • Options
    GloriaSnockersGloriaSnockers Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DA and USDS shouldn't have to compete. They are no more alike than Corrie and Emmerdale are. Even less so if you're looking for owt, nowt and by 'eck.

I can't see ITV being persuaded to take USDS on though.'Sponsored by Aviva!' is for common sorts like Lord and Lady Grantham - the Duke of Kent is far too posh for that kind of thing ;)
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    If ITV aired both DA and USDS they could be on at different times of the year so would not have to compete .

They would still be seen to be competing, with UD being the poor relation.

And that also ignores the issue regarding the availability of the ,main writer.
  • Options
    gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV should take it on and hand it over to Julian Fellowes to write. He could have the household evacuating to New York for the duration of the war, but halfway across the Atlantic the cruise liner is torpedoed by a German U-boat, Over six episode, each ending in a cliffhanger, we have to guess who survives out ot the upstairs and downstairs and - oh, er........
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    DA and USDS shouldn't have to compete. They are no more alike than Corrie and Emmerdale are. Even less so if you're looking for owt, nowt and by 'eck.

I can't see ITV being persuaded to take USDS on though.'Sponsored by Aviva!' is for common sorts like Lord and Lady Grantham - the Duke of Kent is far too posh for that kind of thing ;)

I feel the comparisons is one of the failings of UD. I have greatly enjoyed original UD, the new UD and DA, however the comparisons suggest people think they are the same. They are of a period but that is it. Original UD were created in a style similar to stageplays. New UD is a fairly traditional historical drama. DA is like a period soap. I do not think the writers intended similarity, apart from some background (wars, Titanic etc). The last few episodes of new UD were some of my favourite out of all three, the drama of the conclusion is something neither of the other two would do. Equally, the numerous relationships of DA would not be written in new UD. I do not think ITV will take UD,

I agree mostly with the above, ITV is writing a different genre and BBC is a public broadcaster but can take a different path. The problem with the latter is that they are carried away with the success of Doctor Who and Call the Midwife. They are not seeing the value in mid-rating drama and it is being cut very quickly, sometimes before it has developed. In the US, UD's nine episode history would be less than half the first series, yet there they cut even quicker if they feel it does not work !!!!!!
  • Options
    MR. MacavityMR. Macavity Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bluemotel wrote: »
    I feel the comparisons is one of the failings of UD. I have greatly enjoyed original UD, the new UD and DA, however the comparisons suggest people think they are the same. They are of a period but that is it. Original UD were created in a style similar to stageplays. New UD is a fairly traditional historical drama. DA is like a period soap. I do not think the writers intended similarity, apart from some background (wars, Titanic etc). The last few episodes of new UD were some of my favourite out of all three, the drama of the conclusion is something neither of the other two would do. Equally, the numerous relationships of DA would not be written in new UD. I do not think ITV will take UD,

I agree mostly with the above, ITV is writing a different genre and BBC is a public broadcaster but can take a different path. The problem with the latter is that they are carried away with the success of Doctor Who and Call the Midwife. They are not seeing the value in mid-rating drama and it is being cut very quickly, sometimes before it has developed. In the US, UD's nine episode history would be less than half the first series, yet there they cut even quicker if they feel it does not work !!!!!!

Agree with everything in this post, and I quite enjoyed UD. And by definition some shows will always rate better than others.

However the answer for the BBC is to commission more of its own original drama which makes the issue of comparison with other series less of a problem - (UD was being compared the original and DA!) - maybe that is the conclusion it has come to.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-17811617

theres a link in the story to a twitter petition.
    BBC wales must be slightly hacked off after moving the USDS set to the new studios in Cardiff they made quite a thing of it on BBCwales that it was located there with DW
  • Options
    shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
    Forum Member
    ITV should take it on and hand it over to Julian Fellowes to write. He could have the household evacuating to New York for the duration of the war, but halfway across the Atlantic the cruise liner is torpedoed by a German U-boat, Over six episode, each ending in a cliffhanger, we have to guess who survives out ot the upstairs and downstairs and - oh, er........

Good God no! Julian Fellowes has to be one of he most over-rated writers ever.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shanders wrote: »
    Good God no! Julian Fellowes has to be one of he most over-rated writers ever.

Hearing his interview with This morning.And seeing how it did the guy must be cringing.He really thought it would be as good as DA.

I do wish though someone else would take it up.Sky are looking to invest Millions into Sky Atlantic theres no way the show should be dropped.Yes the script wasnt as sharp as the shows over the Christmas period but if rewrites were ordered because Jean Marsh fell ill its very unfair of the BBC not to take that into account.
  • Options
    GabriellaGabriella Posts: 997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Knew it was doomed the moment they cast the awful Keeley Hawes. Good going for doing away with it, Beeb! :)
  • Options
    tracystapestracystapes Posts: 3,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How did Lady Percy die?
  • Options
    nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    How did Lady Percy die?

I believe that she threw herself from the landing overlooking the entrance hall. It was really shocking actually.
  • Options
    tracystapestracystapes Posts: 3,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nick202 wrote: »
    I believe that she threw herself from the landing overlooking the entrance hall. It was really shocking actually.

Whoops only just seen this thread/post :o

Thanks for the reply. Sounds shocking! I really liked the Persie :( I am going to order series 1/2 DVDs I think. I liked some of the episodes I managed to see.