Upstairs Downstairs ( BBC1 19/02/12 )

Comments

• mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 146,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    lolol im just waiting for matt smith to rush in and grab Riversong...*blush*

I don't know what it was like in London in 1936, but in the provinces, having an "upstairs/downstairs" was really rare. Most domestics came for the day but had their own accommodation.
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The scenes with Lady Persie in Berlin were better : the pace was rather frenetic and confusing until then.
  • northladnorthlad Posts: 1,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well think we can begin to understand why Eileen Atkins is supposed to have walked out on the project over the script at a early stage.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A bit of a mess of a first episode unfortunately. It was all over the place and I couldn't keep up with the storyline.
  • mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 146,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    northlad wrote: »
    Well think we can begin to understand why Eileen Atkins is supposed to have walked out on the project over the script at a early stage.

It's now about as realistic as Downton....;)
  • AoibheannRoseAoibheannRose Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What was it that people couldn't understand about the storylines? They were pretty straightforward and obvious as far as I was concerned. I didn't enjoy it was much as I did the three episodes screened previously, but I'm confident it will return to form so will keep watching.
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MadSmiths wrote: »
    Not enjoying it at all,very wooden acting. Downton abbey any day for me!:)

DA is strapped to UD like a ten ton weight, with the legendary seventies incarnation adding another ten tons. Its stuck between a rock and a hard place and most series would struggle to establish themselves with all that baggage. DA has been made in such a way that it is glorious far fetched soapy escapism and draws disciples rather than viewers. UD is traditional drama and, although it may draw decent figures-they will just be viewers who for the most part wont gush and wave their knickers in the air about it.
  • darnall42darnall42 Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    not a patch on the original,i had no empathy with the main characters (did they kill off the monkey as it had the most charisma ;) )
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What was it that people couldn't understand about the storylines? They were pretty straightforward and obvious as far as I was concerned. I didn't enjoy it was much as I did the three episodes screened previously, but I'm confident it will return to form so will keep watching.

I got the gist of most of the storylines. The butler for example was a conscientious objector in WW1 and we know that two of the downstairs staff consider him a coward and a traitor.

It was still a very messy first episode though....lots of very short scenes and then the story would quickly jump somewhere else.
  • jabegyjabegy Posts: 6,201
    Forum Member
    Well I gave it a go, but I can't say it held me rivetted, give me Downton Abbey any day of the week. I don't care if it is escapism like some people say, it beats U/D into a cocked hat.
  • MadSmithsMadSmiths Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    DA is strapped to UD like a ten ton weight, with the legendary seventies incarnation adding another ten tons. Its stuck between a rock and a hard place and most series would struggle to establish themselves with all that baggage. DA has been made in such a way that it is glorious far fetched soapy escapism and draws disciples rather than viewers. UD is traditional drama and, although it may draw decent figures-they will just be viewers who for the most part wont gush and wave their knickers in the air about it.

Fair enough,thats my opinion:) original series of U D superb, this one is'nt IMO.
  • nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe they did that to Solomon :(

I'm too upset to say anything else about the episode right now.
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find that U D in a more recent era than the original series takes getting used to. However, the acting is good, and historically it seems well researched.
  • linfranlinfran Posts: 5,607
    Forum Member
    Yes, agreed, Downton has got in the way of a smooth transition from the last U/D series to this one. To be honest I can't even remember who the Lady of the House, now deceased, was and I had no idea Lady Pamela existed.

Anyone please?:confused:
  • AoibheannRoseAoibheannRose Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    linfran wrote: »
    Yes, agreed, Downton has got in the way of a smooth transition from the last U/D series to this one. To be honest I can't even remember who the Lady of the House, now deceased, was and I had no idea Lady Pamela existed.

Plot summary of the previous episode.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1790584/plotsummary
  • mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    antero wrote: »
    I actually can't remember who anyone is...
    aquamanda wrote: »
    Watched it half an hour and have given up. I probably didn't give it enough of a chance but it seemed very stilted and stiff. Even the outside shots looked so artificial, with sand on the pavement etc.
    I have no idea who is who ,

I am glad i am not the only one who doesn't remember who anyone is!.... they should definately have re run the three episodes they put on over xmas 2010. it's too long ago for us to hope to have any continuity with it!... i don't remember the monkey or the Indian bloke!.. were they both in it before?... Sad to say i was bitterly disappointed with it and i was looking forward to it being on as well!.... :(
  • shrekshrek Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed it not quite as good as the first series though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    linfran wrote: »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sKJhwKr2GY

this is the lady (now deceased in this ) Art Malik's character was basically her PA.

Pamela was seen in the later part of the series last year she had been sent away for many years because of her downs syndrome He Sir hallam had been told she died many years ago.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    k9fan wrote: »

guardian is spot on.

tbh I enjoyed it but its missing Dame Eileen Atkins 100%.
    she really was the maggie smith character of USDS.
    its made Maliks character and the role he played in the house pretty useless really.
  • You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I kept expecting a tardis and a certain Doctor to appear!
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    They really should have used the first episode to build up familiarity with the family (e.g. why not have the birth) again and provide some bonding. The next episode could have been more political focusing on Munich etc.

Perhaps next week will be better - presumably Percy gets caught up in Kristallnacht and finds out the Nazis are rather nasty.

It is obviously all going to lead up to the final episode when war is declared - and presumably series 3 will be set in WWII.

I quite like it - mainly cos I like Ed Stoppard. But I accept tonight was too political/historical for some. Downton Abbey lacks depth story wise - but builds the characters. UD is the opposite - but most viewers sadly don't want depth.
  • vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The BBC is flogging a dead horse here. The problem remains from series 1: you don't care a jot about the two toff lead characters while the servants are too busy overacting. It's beautiful in places but there's no heart to it. Downton tested its audience in series 2 with ludicrous plotlines but by then you were interested enough in the characters to hang on in there. I don't for a minute believe in the people or the storylines and the casting is off. This show is going nowhere over the coming weeks. Julian Fellowes can breathe easy.
  • anteroantero Posts: 5,547
    Forum Member
    It was fine I guess. A bit too much occurring with far too much reliant on remembering details from 14 months ago! Could have done with a better reintroduction to the show as well as a recap maybe? Hmm but was a ok piece of Sunday night telly, will watch next week! Not as good as Downton but near as ridiculous - gassing a monkey in a pram? Got to be on par with "I'm the heir, remember? Oh bye then"
  • linfranlinfran Posts: 5,607
    Forum Member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sKJhwKr2GY

this is the lady (now deceased in this ) Art Malik's character was basically her PA.

Pamela was seen in the later part of the series last year she had been sent away for many years because of her downs syndrome He Sir hallam had been told she died many years ago.

Thank you. Yes, it's come back to me now. Didn't Sir Hallam visit Pamela in the Home when he realised she hadn't died?