Options

Alan Partridge

St. AnthonySt. Anthony Posts: 1,122
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just a heads up that the movie premiere is on BBC2 tonight at 21.20..

Pretty good movie, though he does look rather different to the TV show.

Some great jokes in the first twenty minutes particularly.

Comments

• Options
    stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wasnt planning on watching it but after reading some reviews I think I will give it a go at 9.20 after BGT
  • Options
    nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    It is a good film - I saw it about a year ago. Much better than I expected. Smell my cheese...
  • Options
    stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thoroughly enjoyed it really funny film
  • Options
    Trappedin80'sTrappedin80's Posts: 6,270
    Forum Member
    Poor Michael.
  • Options
    snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was a big fan of the AP TV shows but didn't think the movie was much cop to be honest.
  • Options
    MillyCMillyC Posts: 1,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've watched it twice, I really enjoyed it.
  • Options
    St. AnthonySt. Anthony Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was pleasantly surprised that The Religion joke was kept in, things seem to have got a lot more serious on that score since 2013.

Good movie, the premiere in Leicester Square was good fun when Alan turned up.
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member
    snafu65 wrote: »
    I was a big fan of the AP TV shows but didn't think the movie was much cop to be honest.

Agree. I turned off after 30 mins.
  • Options
    roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,928
    Forum Member
    Yeah, it has a few decent moments but it's barely a fraction of the high standard of Partridge TV content of the past.

Plus, Coogan just seems off in his performance; I don't know who or what the character was that he played, but it wasn't Partridge. It wasn't even a 'developed' version of Partridge, that some try to argue - it just seemed a nondescript comedy character there to pull funny faces and deliver lines.

Bit of a letdown really.
  • Options
    victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I agree Roger-50. There was some funny moments but overal something wasn't right. I think he just played Alan too nice. The awkwardness and angst wasn't there.
  • Options
    NickLangleyNickLangley Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So much for Steve's Hollywood career then.

While I'm not saying his career is in terminal decline, I do recall that when he got his Hollywood break, Coogan did give the impression that he now considered himself too big a star for British telly.

What's the old showbiz saying? "Be nice to people on the way up ... ".
  • Options
    Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,157
    Forum Member
    "Michael...you're like a Geordie Anne Frank":D
  • Options
    Marksw76Marksw76 Posts: 969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    victor mel wrote: »
    Yes I agree Roger-50. There was some funny moments but overal something wasn't right. I think he just played Alan too nice. The awkwardness and angst wasn't there.

Another agree here, it was ok, but films need a plot, a beginning and a conclusion i.e the big chase/shootout scene and it didn't suit Partridge.

I'm sure I read somewhere that Coogan wanted Alan to be acting out his obsession of being the Bond hero which kinds of makes sense.

The sitcoms were much better because they played out the mundane life that Alan has, they don't need a big climax at the end.

Mid morning matters was much better
  • Options
    man_plebsman_plebs Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    Despite the fact I can quote most of the TV series, the film for me was a 6/10.
    I'm not a great fan of the gibbons brothers writing, far poorer than the Armando innuchi series.
    I'm can't remember a single line from that film and coogan was not really partridge.
    The only bit I laughed out loud was the glove slap.
    The rough kissing in the disabled toilet was pretty good too and the line at the end about Lyn getting ideas above her station.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Didn't ever watch the TV series but liked those 'Trip' shows with Rob Brydon so I watched this film

I enjoyed it, pretty good.......bit disconcerting seeing the bloke from Star Trek though......you know, out of uniform.......:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Is the old bloke on the pier the same fella that used to present Picture Box?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've just answered my own question.

It is he - Alan Rothwell.
  • Options
    taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,954
    Forum Member
    I've managed to catch-up with this via iplayer, but does anyone have any idea if it's due to be repeated any time soon on BBC TV?

I though it was ok for a bit of entertainment, but I agree it doesn't stand comparison with the previous series and the changes to Alan's character are making him less funny, even a little bland.
  • Options
    montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marksw76 wrote: »
    Another agree here, it was ok, but films need a plot, a beginning and a conclusion i.e the big chase/shootout scene and it didn't suit Partridge.

The sitcoms were much better because they played out the mundane life that Alan has, they don't need a big climax at the end.

Yeah, but I think that's a problem with a lot of comedy films, as although I'm big comedy fan there are very few comedy films that I find amusing and this wasn't one of the them. Like you say I think that comedy generally works better in a half hour format as you can have an episode that's just about one scenario without having to worry about fitting it into a bigger story.
  • Options
    TheGrumpWizardTheGrumpWizard Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Partridge but actually thought it was awful. I didn't expect much as a siege story never sat right with me for him but it was even worse than expected. All that was missing was a shark to jump over when he was at Cromer.
  • Options
    playa1playa1 Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you watch Mid Morning Matters before seeing the film it gives it a bit more context. Shows you some of the characters who also appear in the film too.