So, who replaces Jacko as 'King of pop'?

1235»

Comments

• calamitycalamity Posts: 12,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lindsay_06 wrote: »
    I don't think anyone will even ever come close to replacing jackson. Same as Elvis he was the only king of rock and roll , jackson is the only king of pop :)
    think its even silly discussing this, like you I dont think he can be replaced ever.
  • Rogana JoshRogana Josh Posts: 41,348
    Forum Member
    Springsteen!
  • paralaxparalax Posts: 12,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He can't be replaced, and none of the current pop world want to try.

He was ground breaking, and unique. Other artists have their unique qualities but Michael's sucess will never be seen again in my lifetime. You had to live through his era in the 80's to really appreciate just how big he was, way bigger than the biggests stars now.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    He was the first and the last, there isn't anymore ground to break. As with Elvis, Lennon, Cobain, Valance, Holly etc. irreplacable.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    paralax wrote: »

He was ground breaking, and unique. Other artists have their unique qualities but Michael's sucess will never be seen again in my lifetime. You had to live through his era in the 80's to really appreciate just how big he was, way bigger than the biggests stars now.

Absolutely, I know that for me even in phases when I wasn't into pop, he was always there. Everywhere. And as for his life, the song leave me alone says it all. Makes Britneys piece of me look pale in comparison.
  • *Laura**Laura* Posts: 45,129
    Forum Member
    paralax wrote: »

Hear hear. . :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,666
    Forum Member
    Shaheen Jaffacake
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John Barrowman.
  • RadicalNatureRadicalNature Posts: 5,104
    Forum Member
    I hate modern music. I'd give anything to go back in time and grow up back when music was good, Elvis, the Beatles, MJ, glam rock, punk... it's like artists don't have the same passion any more. Same with comedy and comedians. I blame the internet. I mean, why should musicians try so hard to create earth-shatteringly amazing musical entertainment, to just have it so easily stolen..

Same with actors and comedians. You can just download their films and shows in torrent files straight away. It's such an insult. I think a lot of artists think 'why should I bother..'.

I'd gladly give up the net, MP3 players, and all new digital technology to go back to record players and when music had real value and you had to work to earn the cash to buy the vinyl :)... see I just would have loved to have appreciated and experienced that.

Oh and in answer to the question, there hasn't been anyone as big as MJ, Elvis or the Beatles for decades, and I doubt there ever will be again. It's so sad and I envy all who experienced them amazing musical years that I didn't.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    And not for the first time with MJ, you are completely wrong.

Liz Taylor gave him the name when presenting him with an award in the 80's.

Just give up dear.

Ah well if Liz Taylor says so then it must be right :D

Back to topic, Jackson was probably 'King' in the 80's just like Elvis was in the 50's but that doesn't mean they hold the title for ever so we'll have to see who deserves it for this decade, we could have another Queen like Madonna once was.
  • Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm just grateful that I've had all these great people in my lifetime - I grew up listening to the Beatles and all the great Tamla Motown artists Stevie Wonder, Smokey Robinson, Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell, Diana Ross and the Supremes and I can remember when I first heard Michael Jackson and the Jackson 5 and thinking how amazing he was.

He's a one off and there is nobody around today who even comes close in terms of impact, image, innovation, showmanship and pure talent.
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tito.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well the Princes of pop (according to wikipedia) are Justin Timberlake/ Eric Santos/ Robbie Williams. (But at the rate it's going it probably would become in a few years on of the Jonas Brothers after they break up. - makes you think...) I would prefer Justin Timberlake for the pure fact Britney would replace Madonna as the queen if Madonna died and Justin Timberlake is basically the female version of Britney (head shaved and everything).
  • da3boolda3bool Posts: 2,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know Beyonce has been HUGE for the last 8 years, she's got everything, Singer, Dancer and is one of the best performers of all time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,400
    Forum Member
    I find the 'King Of Pop' title quite amusing , maybe 2 good albums , with a act that owes everything to James Brown , & a output of material that after 1987 that is indifferent.

Elvis Presley is the same , his Sun recordings being his best work & a massive gap of mediocrity/space fillers until he got sent to Memphis & not until Suspicious Minds or In the Ghetto did Elvis get the songs/production he should have had. If only Atlantic could have found the $30,000 to buy out his RCA deal , then you would have seen what Elvis was all about , instead just wasted on boring ballads & syrupy films. Same with Michael Jackson , to many years at a rubbish record label , with idiots for manager/s / hangers on. Michael Jackson peaked with his Motown 25th performance of Billie Jean , after that it was downhill all the way.

Being the King Of Pop/Rock N Roll is just a tag that means your more noted for your lifestyle/ clothes / face & the odd gem of a record tucked away in the sea of mediocrity that is the back catalogue.

No doubt another media built machine will surface & it will be fun to watch it all unravel , just as quickly as it was built.

:)
  • Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find the 'King Of Pop' title quite amusing , maybe 2 good albums , with a act that owes everything to James Brown , & a output of material that after 1987 that is indifferent.

Elvis Presley is the same , his Sun recordings being his best work & a massive gap of mediocrity/space fillers until he got sent to Memphis & not until Suspicious Minds or In the Ghetto did Elvis get the songs/production he should have had. If only Atlantic could have found the $30,000 to buy out his RCA deal , then you would have seen what Elvis was all about , instead just wasted on boring ballads & syrupy films. Same with Michael Jackson , to many years at a rubbish record label , with idiots for manager/s / hangers on. Michael Jackson peaked with his Motown 25th performance of Billie Jean , after that it was downhill all the way.

Being the King Of Pop/Rock N Roll is just a tag that means your more noted for your lifestyle/ clothes / face & the odd gem of a record tucked away in the sea of mediocrity that is the back catalogue.

No doubt another media built machine will surface & it will be fun to watch it all unravel , just as quickly as it was built.

:)

Although he got his moves from James Brown at the beginning, his act was nothing like him, not even with the Jacksons. By the time he came out with Off The Wall and Thriller, I would say his singing style owes more to Stevie Wonder than James Brown, and other influences. I wasn't a fan of James Brown but I loved MJ's early stuff.

For me, I prefer his early stuff though he still came out with some gems in his later albums and many of his fans only started being interested in him after Thriller.

He wasn't a media built machine, he invented his own brand and did exactly what he wanted to do. But kids like MJ don't come along every day. You need the perfectionism, the talent and the drive as well as be able to offer something new - and that's what he did.
  • Lightning T5Lightning T5 Posts: 844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Pop Duo, The Pet Shop Boys should, just look at the variety of material they have produced from 1993's "Can You Forgive Her?" to 2006's "I'm With Stupid", also they have the ability to produce both simple tracks like "Love ec" to more complex tracks like 1990's "Being Boring", there quality has not declined over the years and it is rare for them to chart lower than #25 in the Singles Charts in Great Britain, also they are legends internationally, so I would nominate the Pet Shop Boys as the new "Kings of Pop".