Revolution (US PACE) spoilers in tags

Comments

• T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scotcub74 wrote: »
    Well i'm enjoying it, glad it's been picked up for a full season. I did laugh at "The Stand" reference

I could swear it was a "Shawshank Redemption" reference? I remember Miles mentioning "shawshanking our asses out of here" or something. Or maybe they referenced both of them? Honestly can't remember "The Stand" reference though. Two of my favourite novels as well :cool:.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ntscuser wrote: »
    I laughed when the second-in command was shot by the sniper after the C.O. ordered him to send someone else. It's the first humorous bit I've seen in the show. There was also some decent action footage this week but I don't think I can take that pained expression on Charlie's face much more.

Has anyone else noticed the similarities between Aaron and Steve Wozniak?

You and me both, mate. Every time she gets "emotional", her face turns like she's constipated. Horrible and cringeworthy to watch if I'm being honest :o. It also doesn't help that her character is a freakin' pain in the arse and beyond annoying. Even her brother is more bearable at the moment. If they took her out of the show (i.e killed her off) and focused more on Uncle Miles, it might actually be a half-decent show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spaintv wrote: »
    Episode 3 No Quarter

No signs of improvement I think!

Episode 3 and the show still lacks scientific coherence. There is still no explanation as to why they have reverted to a non-power era by-passing all the other power alternatives that came before electricity! :rolleyes: Read an interesting thought online, where someone mentions that the nerdy computer guy is shocked at hearing music when, in the time since the power outage, someone would have thought of a mechanical device to play vinyl! But this show lacks scientifc logic so better best forget.

Much of episode 3 is devoted to developing the character of Miles who turns out to be one of the founding fathers of the militia :eek:. Seeing how he and his mate decided to take the law into their own hands to defend the innocent at least goes partly to explain the origins of the milita and how this subsequently got out of hand to become a dictator like regime. Still, there are many gaps to fill and I am sure that in due time they will explain.

This week there was no sign of the mother who provided the "shocker cliffhanger" last week...naughty of them to bait us like that at the end of last week's episode to then not make a reference about this this week!

The whole situation with the prisoner - brother is a bit mockable as was the "sodlier" guarding him! :yawn:

The Grace woman was nowhere to be seen this week, so we are yet to find out her fate following on from her "capture" last week!

Another question that is bugging me is - forgeting the whole "what are/how do they work USB things", once the USB things turn the power on (like they randomly did this week), where is the power coming from???? Are power stations still being run??? Surely they would have ceased to run, so the mere fact that they are not being run by anyone, means that even if the power were to come back, there would be no power being produced to distribute??????? :confused: Is the USB a power source itself rather than a switch????

Another interesting observation I have read about is the fact that when the woman's iphone comes back on (cue sentimental moment where she sees a photo of her kids :cry:), it displays the time and date of the power loss. Is this a hidden clue for the more eagle eyed viewer??? Does it have any meaning?? :confused::cool:

Im a curious one, and this is probably the only reason why I will keep watching - other than not wanting to miss out on the fun of seeing a show slowly lose itself and become sillier by the broadcast like FF and TE previously did :o. So Ill come back for episode 4 especially since NBC has now guaranteed we will now get a full season of Revolution! :rolleyes:

P.S Teh lead girl ought to be killed and should seek employment in a US daytimie soap! Also, in the same way I criticise, I will commend the show for its action scenes which are fun to watch!

Great review, spaintv. I agree with every word.

BIB: Indeed that is a question that has bugged me too. Without working power plants, there's no way they can get electricity for everyday usage even if they did manage to fix or bypass the electronic "blockage", so the idea of the USB Amulets being able to provide electricity doesn't make sense.

I'm guessing the USB Amulets are switches (and not a power source, as the idea of a tiny wireless device being able to generate electricity on that scale is kind of ridiculous) for some kind of massive supergenerator that generates alternative electricity, but unless the supergenerator is hooked into every power line in America, I don't see how it can actually distribute the electricity to any desired location. It's just not feasible. I know it's a sci-fi show and suspending your belief to a certain extent is part of the experience of watching them, but you have to have plausible logic to how the technology works or it becomes Star Trek. Though, I'd say even Star Trek has better logic in explaining their technology than Revolution do at the moment (can't believe I just compared Revolution to a legendary show like Star Trek :o)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    T.K. Mazin wrote: »
    I could swear it was a "Shawshank Redemption" reference? I remember Miles mentioning "shawshanking our asses out of here" or something. Or maybe they referenced both of them? Honestly can't remember "The Stand" reference though. Two of my favourite novels as well :cool:.

It was when they got to the Rebel base at the restaraunt, and they asked Miles what his name was, and he replied "Stu Redman and Frannie" that made me smile
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scotcub74 wrote: »
    It was when they got to the Rebel base at the restaraunt, and they asked Miles what his name was, and he replied "Stu Redman and Frannie" that made me smile

Oh damn, must've missed that :o. Will watch the episode again just to hear it :D. Thanks for letting me know.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spaintv wrote: »
    Another question that is bugging me is - forgeting the whole "what are/how do they work USB things", once the USB things turn the power on (like they randomly did this week), where is the power coming from???? Are power stations still being run??? Surely they would have ceased to run, so the mere fact that they are not being run by anyone, means that even if the power were to come back, there would be no power being produced to distribute??????? :confused: Is the USB a power source itself rather than a switch????

Another interesting observation I have read about is the fact that when the woman's iphone comes back on (cue sentimental moment where she sees a photo of her kids :cry:), it displays the time and date of the power loss. Is this a hidden clue for the more eagle eyed viewer??? Does it have any meaning?? :confused::cool:

More to the point, why has she been carrying around a dead iPhone for 15 years?

I'm all for a bit of "phlebotinum" and the suspense of disbelief in sci-fi, but the science and human behaviour in this makes no sense at all.

Also agree about Charlie. I appreciate the need for a young female lead in terms of the viewer demographics but the actress, even given allowances for a lousy script, just isn't up to the job.
  • ntscuserntscuser Posts: 8,242
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    More to the point, why has she been carrying around a dead iPhone for 15 years?

Because it had the only existing pictures of her children on it.
  • and101and101 Posts: 2,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ntscuser wrote: »
    Because it had the only existing pictures of her children on it.

The photos would have been wiped out as soon as the electricity vanished. iPhones use flash memory which requires a stored electrical charge to retain the data. When the electricity vanished the stored charge would have also vanished turning the iPhone into a useless brick.
  • asmz35asmz35 Posts: 22,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched the latest episode last night and it seems to me that the people are living in a medieval world when they really don't need to. In the 15 years since the loss of electricity, no-one has thought about going to a library to see how people lived without electricity and used wind, steam and water as a source of power. Maybe we haven't seen these things in the show yet because only three episodes have been shown.

As spaintv mentioned earlier about "nerdy computer guy" being surprised to hear music, I'm guessing that none of them has ever heard of a gramophone and all traces of them have been wiped from history.

The whole show reminds of the Star Trek DS9 episode "Paradise" where Sisko and O'Brien are stranded on a planet without electricity or technology, which is being deliberately surpressed by some kind of generator. Could that be whats going on here? Could the "USB devices" be able to interupt this suppression somehow?

And I agree with many of the comments so far about the gurning lead girl, maybe something horrible and terminal will happen to her with any luck.
  • Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's official. REVOLUTION has been given a full season of episodes. So the network appears to be pretty happy with the show's performance.

LINK

EDIT:

Sorry, I just noticed that this has already been mentioned.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and101 wrote: »
    The photos would have been wiped out as soon as the electricity vanished. iPhones use flash memory which requires a stored electrical charge to retain the data. When the electricity vanished the stored charge would have also vanished turning the iPhone into a useless brick.

I'm not sure electricity 'vanished' it seems more like electricity is prevented from flowing. So presumably the batteries and flash memory stay viable as the charge cannot leak away.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    I think you guys are reading too far into a light sci-fi show, it's not that serious. And do you really expect the producers to have researched and found a phone that doesn't use flash memory? Seems a tad too fussy to me (and I couldn't tell you what type of memory's in my phone, so I doubt she could either)...
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hmm, well that was another poor episode.

They've got rid of the British woman with no personality. Are we supposed to care about her?
    Not much really happened in this episode to advance the story, it all felt like filler.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've really had enough of this now. I turned off halfway through Ep4. Nothing happening, tedious dialog and a cast that I have no interest in at all.

I'll watch out to see if the reviews improve but this is officially the first show I have dropped of the 2012 new season.
  • Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    I quite like it so far. I'm thinking Revolution is the early makings of Terra Nova thought. Terra Nova took it's time to get going, but once it did get going, I was drawn in.

Then it was cancelled. :(

This show has been given the full episodes count though, so it's obviously impressing someone. I think they're still trying to work on character development a little, but once that's out of the way and the show gets going, I think it'll be onto a winner.

I also feel they should address some of the long-standing issues though, such as (already mentioned) Steam Power. USB Sticks with limitless power? Would be nice to see if other countries are facing the same situations (with a milta power group ect)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flash525 wrote: »
    I quite like it so far. I'm thinking Revolution is the early makings of Terra Nova thought. Terra Nova took it's time to get going, but once it did get going, I was drawn in.

The difference was that Terra Nova was entertainingly bad. Revolution is boring and bad. I can forgive plot holes, a clunking script and poor acting but only if it's fun to watch.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flash525 wrote: »
    This show has been given the full episodes count though, so it's obviously impressing someone.

FlashForward and The Event also both received a "back nine" to give them a full season, and both also initially had very high ratings like Revolution initially had ;)

See spaintv's post with a comparison of their ratings: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=61395593&postcount=116

(and in addition to that, episode 3 dropped further)

I stand by my prediction that this will fail, just like previous attempts at "the new Lost".
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    Things that will happen over the season (pure speculation as I've not seen any spoilers)
    • Young Militia guy will be involved in a couple more failed attempts to capture Miles, he will then save Charlies life again and change sides.
    • The group will find a settlement using steam/water/solar/wind etc power but it will end up being destroyed by the Militia. The sole survivor of the settlement will join the group.
    • One of the group will end up captured or possibly dead, probably blonde Doctor.
    • The big reveal at the end of the Season (or possibly mid season) is that there is a secret base under a mountain that still has electricity. It was these people that the woman with the magic USB pendant was contacting.
    • Charlie's supposedly dead Mother is part of this group, possibly even the leader.

Charlie's Mother still alive, Blonde Doctor dead, Nate (or whatever his real name is) about to change sides.

Doing pretty well with the predictions.:D
  • Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    The difference was that Terra Nova was entertainingly bad. Revolution is boring and bad. I can forgive plot holes, a clunking script and poor acting but only if it's fun to watch.
    I happened to think the latter episodes of Terra Nova were entertainingly good. It did suck somewhat at the start, but I think a second season would have improved the show greatly.
    Matt D wrote: »
    FlashForward and The Event also both received a "back nine" to give them a full season, and both also initially had very high ratings like Revolution initially had ;)

I stand by my prediction that this will fail, just like previous attempts at "the new Lost".
    Didn't know this, but thanks. Seems you're going to be right though, this show will join the rest of the failures.
    Indeed.
  • jaimeswjaimesw Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is bad, but I'm still watching. Not sure why?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Charlie's Mother still alive, Blonde Doctor dead, Nate (or whatever his real name is) about to change sides.

Some of were pretty obvious, weren't they? :D
    I think most people who've watched enough TV shows knew that Charlie's mother was still alive. Mainly because it is a tired old genre trope and partly because Elizabeth Mitchell is too big of an actress to be killed off so early.

Nate was pretty obvious as well if you saw his actions in the pilot. He basically screamed, "I'm the bad boy who becomes a good guy for the love of a good woman named Katniss... I mean Charlie." :D

Wasn't really expecting the doctor to die though, but it didn't really surprise me as much as it should have for some reason :o. But I guess she was always expendable once Charlie's mother was revealed to be still alive. Pointless to have two mother figures for Charlie after all.

But yes, you're doing great with the predictions, Corwin. Might have to call you the Oracle from now on :cool: :p:D. Keep up the good work :).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmm, well that was another poor episode.

They've got rid of the British woman with no personality. Are we supposed to care about her?
    Not much really happened in this episode to advance the story, it all felt like filler.

I agree with this. It did feel like filler. There didn't seem like a point to the episode. They travel into some deserted, ghost town and then get attacked by some rabid dogs owned by a psychopathic lone survivor (who thinks every survivor is inherently "evil" due to the death of his daughter after the Blackout) and then what?

I just summarised the whole episode in two lines. You need more than that. What are we suppose to gain from this paper-thin, pointless premise? I don't get it. The dog owner was pretty much a one-dimensional madman as well. And I felt no emotion at the blonde, British doctor's death as she was a cardboard cutout character (her disjointed, emotionless flashbacks did nothing for me either). So all in all, quite simply an abysmal hour of television.
  • yakutzyakutz Posts: 10,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with this. It did feel like filler. There didn't seem like a point to the episode. They travel into some deserted, ghost town and then get attacked by some rabid dogs owned by a psychopathic lone survivor (who thinks every survivor is inherently "evil" due to the death of his daughter after the Blackout) and then what?

I just summarised the whole episode in two lines. You need more than that. What are we suppose to gain from this paper-thin, pointless premise? I don't get it. The dog owner was pretty much a one-dimensional madman as well. And I felt no emotion at the blonde, British doctor's death as she was a cardboard cutout character (her disjointed, emotionless flashbacks did nothing for me either). So all in all, quite simply an abysmal hour of television.

Can't argue with that summary at all. Such an awful execution of what could have been an interesting premise.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yakutz wrote: »
    Can't argue with that summary at all. Such an awful execution of what could have been an interesting premise.

Indeed, yakutz. Poor execution seems to be the central reason why so many sci-fi shows have failed in recent years. It's like the writers don't think the episodes through. They have a whole team of writers and that's the best they can come up with? A crazy dog owner and his rabid dogs? Lol. :o

Also a side note, I thought the title of the episode "Plague Dogs" was pointing toward the fact that the dogs were infected with rabies or some other disease that could be passed onto humans? But it turned out they were just really angry dogs. So the title has no meaning either lol. You're right it could've been an interesting premise, but they failed miserably unfortunately.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Indeed, yakutz. Poor execution seems to be the central reason why so many sci-fi shows have failed in recent years. It's like the writers don't think the episodes through. They have a whole team of writers and that's the best they can come up with? A crazy dog owner and his rabid dogs? Lol. :o

Also a side note, I thought the title of the episode "Plague Dogs" was pointing toward the fact that the dogs were infected with rabies or some other disease that could be passed onto humans? But it turned out they were just really angry dogs. So the title has no meaning either lol. You're right it could've been an interesting premise, but they failed miserably unfortunately.
    It reminded me of the wild dog episode of 'The Last Train' when they were cornered by a pack of wild dogs in the train station and a couple of them got attacked and mauled to death.