Options

How much pocket money do you give your kids?

Deaf LeppardDeaf Leppard Posts: 2,682
Forum Member
✭✭✭
To the parents; how much do you give? Do you have a system if you have more than one child?

And to all the grown up kids, how much did you used to get?

Comments

• Options
    *weeschmoo**weeschmoo* Posts: 9,713
    Forum Member
    I don't remember getting any actual pocket money, I used to get some money for a 1/4 of sweets or 20p sometimes when I was sent round to the shops for messages.

My kids only get money if I feel like giving them it, never a set amount, they don't do what they are told enough without mumping:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    In the 90s I used to get £5 per week but my parents would still buy me stuff. That £5 was just for me. I usually bought a pointless kids magazine or pogs :D:o
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eldest gets £30 a month, (it used to be £40 but £10 now goes towards her mobile phone contract) if she hasn't pissed me off too much, youngest doesn't get anything really except teeth fairy dosh. I'll start giving him pocket money when he starts Senior school.
  • Options
    SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My husband felt £10 each a week for our two teenage boys was fair. The only amount I can remember accurately getting myself was two shillings when I was about 9 years old ! I got given it on a Saturday morning, and it was spent going to the Saturday morning pictures, the bus fare there and back, and some sweets to eat in the Odeon.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm 16 and I get a fiver but if I hoover or something I'll get more. The odd time my Dad gives me money if I'm going out and says 'Don't tell your mother'
  • Options
    MenkMenk Posts: 13,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My kids are 11 and 12.

They get £3 if they keep their rooms tidy all week.

They get £2 if they tidy their rooms once per week.

Failing that they get nothing.

It looks pretty stingy when I see it written down, but they are spoilt at xmas and birthdays and get a lot of stuff so this is just a bit of spending money to them.

When I was a kid pocket money was always withheld as a punishment so I never saw any!
  • Options
    *weeschmoo**weeschmoo* Posts: 9,713
    Forum Member
    neon tiger wrote: »
    I'm 16 and I get a fiver but if I hoover or something I'll get more. The odd time my Dad gives me money if I'm going out and says 'Don't tell your mother'

What do you buy? I used to spend all my money on singles - I still have them though, well worth it. Sometimes I spent it on sweets though, I have a good few fillings:o
  • Options
    Bom Diddly WoBom Diddly Wo Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I was 7 years old I was pulling down about 10p a week. That was enough in those days to get a comic or some sweets. If I wanted extra I'd have to earn it via a system of gold stars for helpfulness and good behaviour. It was 1976.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to get 1/6d a week :)
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    my 9 year old gets a pound a week

sadly tooth fairy rates have gone up thats also a pound a tooth
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I give my 18 year old son [he's in upper 6th] £30 a week for bus fares and dinner money.

I still buy some of his clothes and shoes as they're a necessity not a luxury.

He has a part-time job for funding other things such as going out and extra clothes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do you buy? I used to spend all my money on singles - I still have them though, well worth it. Sometimes I spent it on sweets though, I have a good few fillings:o

It does go almost entirely on music, although I tend to buy albums. Sweets, cinema and bus fees take up what's left.
  • Options
    jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    I don't give my kids pocket money as such, but they get a pound here and a pound there, money for youth club, football training, couple of quid on a saturday to go into town.....so it all adds up.
  • Options
    Deaf LeppardDeaf Leppard Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think pocket money is a great way of teaching kids about cash handling, make them save for the things they want outside of Xmas and birthdays.

If I think back, my dad had a system of '50p per yr old' from age 10 upwards for me and my 3 siblings. So when we were 10 we got £5.00, and £5.50 when we were 11, so on and so forth. We used to love our yearly 'payrise', haha. I got a paper round to top it up, and easily made do with about £15 a week, in the days of scratch card mobile top ups, which I would piss up the wall. Mr and my brother would save up for the latest ps1 games... Good times.

Nowadays I've no idea how much kids think they need to get by on each week... I'd hate to think!!
  • Options
    Stewie_CStewie_C Posts: 1,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our 15 year old daughter gets £35 per month + whatever she can scam out of us for doing extra chores / good grades / being nice. My 13 year old son gets the same basic allowance IF he tidies his room (rarely). He has the opportunity to scam us too, but rarely leaves his cave.

Granddad also gives them some money, so they do very nicely thank you!

They get to buy top up for their phones, and the phones themselves out of their ill gotten gains.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    washing my dads car was £2
    cutting logs 10p each log (had to find the wood too)

If i did nothing i got nothing.
  • Options
    eunicelouise658eunicelouise658 Posts: 1,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't give my kids any but they are 33, 31,28, 26,24 and nearly 22!
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    None. They get things on a Who Nags Most basis.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get £10 a week. Usually goes on food.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get £30 a month from my mum and usually £10 a week from grandparents
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Before I was 16 I used to get £5 a week from my parents and £20 a month from my grandparents.

When I reached 16 I started getting £20 a week from my parents and carried on getting £20 from my granparents a month.
  • Options
    domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    Didn't give my children any pocket money, I didn't get given any either.

They grew up being able to manage money very well without it.
  • Options
    jriojrio Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Back in the 1972, I used to get 10p a week. You could do a lot with that then.

When I've related this to people, they've been astonished that I was still getting pocket money at 22.:o
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    £10 a week as long as they do about 20 hours a week in odd jobs etc:)
  • Options
    CoolboyACoolboyA Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got £2 a week up until I was 13/14. Then I got made to find a job :p However, that earned me either £25 or £125 a month depending on how many hours work I put in.