Options

Osborne in Brussels fighting for bankers bonuses

Comments

• Options
    gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wallster wrote: »
    Let's not spoil an anti-Tory rant by producing facts.;)

What are the facts?
  • Options
    wallsterwallster Posts: 17,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What are the facts?

Try reading Flagpole's message and you might, just might, learn something. :yawn:
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    And what was the outcome of that visit by Cameron and the 120 British companies ?

Very positive. great for british jobs.

But you were wrong right. you said what the government was not doing and what it should be doing and it turns out that they were doing exactly that. so you withdraw your criticism? and applaud the coalition government for promoting british industry?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wallster wrote: »
    Try reading Flagpole's message and you might, just might, learn something. :yawn:

Perhaps you can tell us which businesses or types of business these 120 people represented?
  • Options
    ExiledchillerExiledchiller Posts: 1,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You want banks running at massive losses to reward themselves with obscene bonuses?

Any thing else most have been caught breaking laws righing markets generally causing worldwide panic and you want our chancellor fighting for their right to keep their bonuses
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »

But you were wrong right. you said what the government was not doing and what it should be doing and it turns out that they were doing exactly that. so you withdraw your criticism? and applaud the coalition government for promoting british industry?

Tell us more about who was on the trip, who they represented and how many jobs it is hoping to bring to this country?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    WindWalker wrote: »
    Tell us more about who was on the trip, who they represented and how many jobs it is hoping to bring to this country?

read about it yourself.

what difference does it make what types of british industry were promoted? are only jobs in certain sectors worthwhile?
  • Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You want banks running at massive losses to reward themselves with obscene bonuses?

s

Do you want the Government telling you how much they should earn? Would you like to see British jobs being shipped out to Singapore, Hong Kong or Dubai?
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    Then how is unemployment ever going to come down when
    there are no jobs in manufacturing and shops are closing down all the time.

Are you saying that a service economy can get enough people in work to bring unemployment down ?

We would have been better if we did not spend years during the 1970's using taxpayers money to keep inefficient industries going. Had they reformed back then we may never have seen the peaks of unemployment during the 1980's and the jobs we needed would have had the chance.

The highest year of production in cars in this country was 1973. It has never higher but is due to be beaten in 2015. That is the turnaround in our manufacturing, but it is never going to deliver jobs - not in the level it did. We do not have the ability of emerging markets to take advantage of Labour costs.

Manufacturing however is changing and this is how we can bring work back into this country - because with higher automation there is no Labour cost advantage. Having your component manufacturers geographically close also means that you can react faster to market changes.

If we want to get new jobs - taxing them to keep unproductive jobs going is not the answer, we need to free up finance for new industries to emerge - consider that the internet and on line business accounts for 8% of GDP - just 2% below that of Finance. As old industries die or move abroad then new industries emerge and these we need here - in the good old UK.
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Auld Snody wrote: »
    That is why shareholders should set the bonuses ( by passing or not passing bonus payments). After all it is their company.

I entirely agree.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    read about it yourself.

what difference does it make what types of british industry were promoted? are only jobs in certain sectors worthwhile?

You were the one shouting it's virtues, do you not know then?
  • Options
    ExiledchillerExiledchiller Posts: 1,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you want the Government telling you how much they should earn? Would you like to see British jobs being shipped out to Singapore, Hong Kong or Dubai?

Yes if it's of public interest and if they expect to be bailed out as they were then yes damn right

There's a word for it 'regulation'
  • Options
    wallsterwallster Posts: 17,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Wouldn't you be better becoming informed before contributing to discussions like this where you have to ask people for facts that are pertinent to the debate?
  • Options
    Forum Member

I wasn't shouting it's virtues. there are only two speeds with you.

I didn't even express an opinion on the merits of it. gummy mummy criticised the government for not doing something. i simply pointed out that that was exactly what they were doing and on the biggest scale it has ever been done.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wasn't shouting it's virtues. there are only two speeds with you.

I didn't even express an opinion on the merits of it. gummy mummy criticised the government for not doing something. i simply pointed out that that was exactly what they were doing and on the biggest scale it has ever been done.

Really?

Looks like it to me along with demands that gummy should adopt your stance. In reality you don't know who was there, who they represented or what it meant for British jobs or even trade.
  • Options
    solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The EU legislators should be trying to find ways to increase growth and provide the conditions for more jobs across Europe.

So could anyone who supports the EU please tell me how capping bonuses in the financial sector will enable this to happen?
  • Options
    Auld SnodyAuld Snody Posts: 15,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    solenoid wrote: »
    The EU legislators should be trying to find ways to increase growth and provide the conditions for more jobs across Europe.

So could anyone who supports the EU please tell me how capping bonuses in the financial sector will enable this to happen?

Capping bonuses will increase growth and provide the conditions for more jobs across Europe;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Really?

Looks like it to me along with demands that gummy should adopt your stance. In reality you don't know who was there, who they represented or what it meant for British jobs or even trade.

your stance is ridiculous.

asked specifically what the effect of this trade delegation was i can say that plenty of companies announced that they were exploring contracts that would involve jobs. i still haven't offered a position on the merits of the delegation as a whole.

you seem to assume that you object to it, seemingly because they were not the right kind of jobs, i don't know really what or objections are, unless i can prove to you that it was a good thing.

which is not something i have any intention of doing. like it, don't like it. it makes no odds to anything.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    solenoid wrote: »

Capping bonuses will increase growth and provide the conditions for more jobs across Europe;)
    how??
  • Options
    television2004television2004 Posts: 2,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do Doctors and Nurses get bonuses of up to double their pay?
    Do Teachers get bonuses of up to double their pay?
    Do workers in industry get bonuses of up to double their pay?
    These bankers brought the country to the verge of bankruptcy yet no one has been prosecuted.
    They are gamblers.Let them go overseas to Singapore or Hong Kong they will like all gamblers do lose their luck. and then get locked up in those counties.not rewarded with more bonuses.
    Remember for every gain you have to have a loss somewhere else.
    Where has all the money gone that the bank of England issued.to the banks? I imagine its gone overseas to their foreign branches to fund projects in those countries.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Manufacturing GDP rose from the mid 1980's to 2007. It was up 20% between 1979 and 1997.

It employs less people because of increased automation and improved working practices - it is why as an economy we are moving from a manufacturing to a service economy since manufacturing cannot employ enough people.

I have no idea how you can think manufacturing increased its share of GDP other than for more than a quarter here and there.
    Manufacturing GDP rose from the mid 1980's to 2007. It was up 20% between 1979 and 1997.

Manufacturing declined by half between the mid 80's and 2007.

In 1979 manufacturing made up about 26% of GDP. In 1997 it was down to about 17% of GDP.

As you can see from this graph http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2lxgosi&s=6 supplied by the BBC's business pages, manufacturing was in steady decline through the years you mention.

You must be thinking of something else. The decline of manufacturing is simply a fact.
  • Options
    Auld SnodyAuld Snody Posts: 15,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    how??

The poster made an assumption that growth and jobs would be affected by capping bankers bonuses.

How?
  • Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The poster made an assumption that growth and jobs would be affected by capping bankers bonuses.

How?

Sales of red braces would fall ;)
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    These bankers brought the country to the verge of bankruptcy yet no one has been prosecuted.
    They are gamblers.Let them go overseas to Singapore or Hong Kong they will like all gamblers do lose their luck. and then get locked up in those counties.not rewarded with more bonuses.
    Where has all the money gone that the bank of England issued.to the banks? I imagine its gone overseas to their foreign branches to fund projects in those countries.

It is a long time since I worked in retail on a shop floor but when I did it was very common to double ones income. It is not the amount of the bonuses that is an issue but the form.

Capping looks good in the papers but think of it for a minute without the help of the green-eyed monster. If you cap bonuses then all that happens is that they up sticks and move elsewhere.

If you want to improve things then change the form of a bonus. Say by changing the tax system so a bonus based on long term thinking gets a better return.

Capping bonuses is like all simple answers looks good - but ultimately will cause more damage than it seeks to solve.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No but double glazing salesmen do.
    car sales men do.
    self employed people do
    Doctors certainly do.
    It's not about the politics of envy. it's about what's best for the rest of us.

if they're based in singapore they'd still have bankrupt the economy, they just wouldn't have contributed anything to it either.

and if you remove bonuses you just remove the incentive to do good work. who is going to do better work a banker on £500,000 wage, or one with a potential to earn a £400,000 bonus.