Options

Why are people so paranoid about being filmed?

Comments

• Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rozafa wrote: »
    Some people are just shy and don't like their photos taken. Not everybody is photogenic and they don't want to made aware of how they look on camera or that there is a photo of them looking awkward out there somewhere.

That and of course the camera can steal souls!

Seriously don't go to Yemen. They know how to deal with unwanted photographers. They throw stones at them. I had to protect a tourist from a mob of teenage girls who had caught him taking photos.

BIB is true ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tothegrand wrote: »
    I think that's fine, but don't walk in front of a camera.:D

Sometimes cameras are hard to avoid.
    Especially those of tourists taking pictures of historical monuments when you are trying to get to work.
  • Options
    McMahauldMcMahauld Posts: 1,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Domestos wrote: »
    Anyone filming me without my express permission can expect a slap.

Slapper.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Sometimes cameras are hard to avoid.
    Especially those of tourists taking pictures of historical monuments when you are trying to get to work.

Are you a historical monument? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you a historical monument? :confused:

Of course I am. There are a statues of me up all over the place.

I meant as you walk past such things there are always people taking photographs;) And that can delay a journey if you wait to walk past while they get a good shot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Of course I am. There are a statues of me up all over the place.

I meant as you walk past such things there are always people taking photographs;) And that can delay a journey if you wait to walk past while they get a good shot.

Don't worry youll be getting cropped out of them, unless youre really hot in which case you'll be used as material.

Sorry that was low... but made me chuckle :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that is fair enough, If someone stands in front of you and starts taking pictures or filming then I think its fine asking them to stop, but if they are already filming and taking photos and you walk in front of them I would just think "bugger off".

:D

There's something called photo-bombing where people get in front of the camera on purpose. It's like those sports fans that get in front of a TV camera and sing to interrupt the reporter. Don't really understand why they'd want to get their picture taken like that.
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    Please do, it would be in my favour when the police are called and you slapping me is recorded.:D
    The face-slapper might well get charged, but you'd still have a sore face and a lot of hassle, or worse if it happens to be some nutjob.

Wouldn't it be easier just to grant their request, stop filming, stand elsewhere and not bother anyone?

We all know that people in public have no right not to be filmed, but photographers don't need to exercise those rights and annoy or upset others.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people just hate being filmed or photographed.
  • Options
    Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As far as I am aware there is no legal right to stop a person filming in a public place, and if they are filming a monument, tourist attraction or something else and you happen to be in shot, tough.

It's different of a person is filming you and literally shoving a camera in your face, obviously. But though you may not be happy about it, in public I think you will find there is little you can do about it.

Problem with this whole issue is that it has become a bit of a minefield...lots of parents will take pictures and film their children at play, and inevitably other children will be on the film also. It's unavoidable.

There must be millions of pictures and video in peoples homes with footage of other people and their children on, stretching back decades. Funny how back in the 30,s, 40,s, 50's and up until recent times no one batted an eyelid about being caught on camera, and paedophiles are hardly a new phenomena.

The problem is if a person is filming and your children are in shot, and you suspect their motives, how do you prove it? It's one thing to be protective, but then it's not nice to accuse someone of being a paedophile in public. In fact, defaming a persons character or slandering them in public is more likely to land the person complaining in jail than the person filming.
  • Options
    Red WhineRed Whine Posts: 1,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please do, it would be in my favour when the police are called and you slapping me is recorded.:D

This sounds rather familiar. I've read it somewhere else today, same poster different forum?
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BTW Im a femaile in my forties with two teenagers

That doesn't stop you publishing the pictures world-wide via the internet.
    I think that's fine, but don't walk in front of a camera.:D

People should be able to walk where they please, and to do so without being filmed.

As to why some people don't like it: what is the likelihood that, if you had got his head in, you would have posted a link to a clip so that he could be ridiculed? People don't like having covert clips of themselves uploaded to youtube for generations of spotty teenagers to take the piss out of.
  • Options
    DomestosDomestos Posts: 7,014
    Forum Member

Don't expect your camera to remain in working order either :D
  • Options
    Jon OJon O Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont mind being filmed for security reasons but other than that I dont like it because it is an intrusion into your private life
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A_Zombie wrote: »
    There's something called photo-bombing where people get in front of the camera on purpose. It's like those sports fans that get in front of a TV camera and sing to interrupt the reporter. Don't really understand why they'd want to get their picture taken like that.

On a related note, if you work in a place that has a lot of tourists (such as central London like I do), it can be intensely annoying when wherever you walk someone is trying to take a picture and expects you to stop for them.

If you are taking a picture in a busy public place then pick your moment and wait for people to pass. We work here, you are on holiday.

And it's NOT rude. I have been shouted at once or twice, even sworn at...what makes people think taking a photo gives them some sort of priority?

And please don't say it wouldn't hurt to wait a few seconds...if you did that in central London your journey would take twice as long.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bart4858 wrote: »

People should be able to walk where they please, and to do so without being filmed.

As to why some people don't like it: what is the likelihood that, if you had got his head in, you would have posted a link to a clip so that he could be ridiculed? People don't like having covert clips of themselves uploaded to youtube for generations of spotty teenagers to take the piss out of.

It doesn't, but like I said Im a photographer, I like photographing things not people, if people get in the way I crop them out, if they have an issue then so be it. Im not taking photos of people walking down my street from behind my curtains. These subtle phones are the worse things in my opinion, at least I look like Im serious with my tripod and fancy dancy SLR
  • Options
    stirlingguy1stirlingguy1 Posts: 7,038
    Forum Member
    Totally legal to film anyone in a public place, nothing the police can do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There must be millions of pictures and video in peoples homes with footage of other people and their children on, stretching back decades. Funny how back in the 30,s, 40,s, 50's and up until recent times no one batted an eyelid about being caught on camera, and paedophiles are hardly a new phenomena.

Really? I would have thought it would be the about same percentage as today. If you read some of the previous posts in this thread. There a few people who hate being caught by passing cameras and none of them mention reason is because they are worried about paedophiles. They just hate being photographed. Not everybody likes being photographed today and Im sure it was the same in the past. My grandmother hated getting photographed.
    It was just was much easier to avoid in the 30's, 40's, 50's etc when films cost loads to get developed compared to today when everybody goes around with a camera phone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bart4858 wrote: »

That's a different thing entirely - there is a marked difference between filming someone in public, which anyone can do and though you may not like it and cannot stop them, and publishing those images publicly.

If they do the latter, then you can take legal action.

I remember a lot of people having issues with CCTV being introduced in city centres some 30 years back, cries of invasion of privacy, big brother etc, and innocent people saying they didn't trust the authorities to misuse that footage of them.

Did anyone ever hear of a case where that actually happened?
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funny how back in the 30,s, 40,s, 50's and up until recent times no one batted an eyelid about being caught on camera

Perhaps because there was no internet. Any image would have an extremely limited audience except for a tiny minority that might make it to a newspaper (and the next day would be wrapped around someone's chips). There was also censorship to keep things tasteful.

Now just one embarassing image or clip can be near-instantaneously viewed by billions, and in perpetuity.
  • Options
    Jon OJon O Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if I thought anyone was filming one of my daughters without her permission I would be extremely angry
  • Options
    stirlingguy1stirlingguy1 Posts: 7,038
    Forum Member
    Yeah, I think people are aware of the internet/Youtube etc and how any old photo/video of you on the Tube or whatever can be plastered for the world to see. I wonder if more people are reluctant to make amateur sex videos as well.
  • Options
    g4jcg4jc Posts: 839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I see someone filming or taking photos I tend to avoid them. Not cause I've got anything to hide or don't like being filmed/photographed - Simply because I assume that they DO NOT want me in their pics, have not been lying in wait for me :eek: and are focused on something/someone else. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    Totally legal to film anyone in a public place, nothing the police can do.
    Damn right.

It's legal so I'll do as I damn well please and take photos of all and sundry whilst I am out in public and to hell with the wishes or concerns of anyone else.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really? I would have thought it would be the about same percentage as today. If you read some of the previous posts in this thread. There a few people who hate being caught by passing cameras and none of them mention reason is because they are worried about paedophiles. They just hate being photographed. Not everybody likes being photographed today and Im sure it was the same in the past. My grandmother hated getting photographed.
    It was just was much easier to avoid in the 30's, 40's, 50's etc when films cost loads to get developed compared to today when everybody goes around with a camera phone.

Does not matter, the points are still valid. I am pretty sure all of us have photos and videos in our homes with strangers on them. And whether you like being on film or not, legally there is absolutely nothing you can do about it.

You have to look at both sides of this...these 'how dare you film me without my permission' people are often known to challenge innocent members of the public filming, remonstrate with them and become rude and even violent.

Bottom line is, there is no law for a person to stop filming in a public place, and the people being filmed also have no legal right to stop them filming. You may ask them to stop, but if they don't then there is nothing you can do.