Comments

• ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    That headmaster needs his arse kicked. Why should kids who have no religious or cultural issues have to miss out? If I was a parent there, I'd be pretty pissed off too.
  • TomWhittonTomWhitton Posts: 1,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's the actual story here? It all seems a bit vague/ clickbaity.
  • Will_BeeWill_Bee Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Headmaster should be removed from his job pending investigation.
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    What a bizzare story. If true the head should be called to account for his statement.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't even make any sense. How is watching it on a screen any less direct than on a pinhole camera? They're both mediated.
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He can apologise all he likes but unless the head comes out in the open and elaborates on his decision to stop the kids watching the eclipse directly he's going to be open to criticism. He'd better have a pretty good reason too.

Have any other schools across the country followed suit?
  • OxygenatedOxygenated Posts: 1,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I remember when I was a youngster in India, there was a a full eclipse of the Sun. The Indians (hindus) at the time all crouched on the ground so as not to see it. From what I remember, they considered it really unlucky.

However, I was also with some well-educated Indians at the same time too, one of whom was a professor, and he took great delight in watching it, and talking through some physics :)
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    How friggin stupid, what about those there who's religion/culture permits it?

Had it not been for the links people would deny that this happened so I'm glad it made the news..
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this an anti Muslim thread by chance ? Surely not.
    Forum Member
    benjamini wrote: »

Not that I can see so why ask?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are the first to mention Muslim.
  • itscoldoutsideitscoldoutside Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blood is boiling again.
  • renard grisrenard gris Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

According to the article in the Evening Standard, the headteacher 'refused to say which religions and cultures have concerns about observing eclipses directly.'
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Weird story, though. It was fine yesterday, but this morning, at which point it was already overcast, the guy suddenly decides they can't, and then says "they wouldn't have been able to see it anyway". Why not just go with the "you wouldn't be able to see it anyway" thing once he'd changed his mind this morning so as not to look like a dick? I'd love to hear his reasoning.
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will_Bee wrote: »
    You are the first to mention Muslim.

I merely asked ? If it is I will stay clear :D

Sometimes they are a bit stealthy and cunning.
  • itscoldoutsideitscoldoutside Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to the article in the Evening Standard, the headteacher 'refused to say which religions and cultures have concerns about observing eclipses directly.'

http://islamqa.info/en/5901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only people I have heard of avoiding eclipses are Chinese.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a jobsworth frightened of offending anyone so ends up punishing everyone for his own irrational fears.
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member

This muslim parent doesn't seem to have a problem with it.

Khairoe Islam, whose son goes to the school, said: 'I'm Muslim myself and in my religion it doesn't say we can't watch it.

'I don't know anything about it but if they say it's because of religion maybe they could have spoken to those people who had a problem and let the other kids enjoy it.

'It shouldn't be spoiled for the rest of the school.'

Or this one

Mohammed Babar, whose five-year-old daughter Zahra is a pupil at the school, said: 'There is no cultural reason that I am aware of. If that's what they said then it would surprise me.'
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3004302/Parents-anger-school-bans-pupils-watching-eclipse-cultural-religious-reasons.html
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was it really for religious reasons? Or was it more because looking at an eclipse directly is hazardous and therefore against health and safety?
  • Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    Ridiculous to ban all the kids from watching it. Just allow the superstitious ones to stay indoors and allow everyone else to watch it. Or is that too simple and straightforward?
    Forum Member
    Was it really for religious reasons? Or was it more because looking at an eclipse directly is hazardous and therefore against health and safety?

Have a read in the links provided.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He probably just couldn't be arsed taking them outside.
  • renard grisrenard gris Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I merely asked ? If it is I will stay clear :D

Sometimes they are a bit stealthy and cunning.

Definitely not an anti-Muslim thread.

I started this thread in exasperation at the headteacher's decision. You would think that, given our understanding of the world, space and the universe has come a long way since the 1500's (for example), that a decision like this can still be made in 2015!
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member

Well not according to the statement the head is said to have made. Whether that is accurate or not who knows. If he did say it he should be made to answer for such nonsense.