Options

60 Stone Woman craned out of flat for operation

Comments

• Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As always, most of the comments are nothing but judgemental self-satisfaction. It probably isn't great to lose 18 stone at tremendous speed, then have almost no follow-up.

I would be willing to place a bet that not one of us wants to eat 13,000 calories a day, or could if (eg for a lucrative bet) we tried. How people love to congratulate themselves on their superior self-control, in not doing what they have never, for an instant, wanted to do.

The only way someone could possibly get up to that weight is by having a condition - that is a CONDITION, the magic word that has occasionally been known to turn abuse into sympathy - that means that they do not get full after eating. It is both idiotic and unpleasant to frame it in moral terms - that she does it because she is 'greedy'. A lot of us are 'greedy', but we don't put on a quarter of that amount of weight, because we stop eating when our greed is satisfied. Poor Georgia obviously has a body that doesn't work properly, and is no more to blame for that than if she had juvenile arthritis.

I didnt see a huge amount of judgement, I can see a lot of sympathy though. Are you talking about this thread?

I doubt it would take 13000 calories to maintain 60 stone. More like around 6k a day, easily done with a couple of takeaways (or equivalent)
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    I wonder why she moved out of her flat.

Of course there's no proof she is actually 60 stone, she could be more or less than that, but clearly she cant even stand up on her own by the sounds of it and cant fit through the doors.

I seem to recall that when she returned from the fat camp in America she had got down to 18 stone (from around 40 at the time_) and her mum got her fish and chips in for tea. What can you do in an environment like that. She was only 18 at the time. She has never stood a chance by the sounds of things, totally neglectful parenting.

Probably because her Step Father was diagonsed with Cancer. I suspect her mum "needed" her with her.
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would think you wouldn't need a huge amount of calories to maintain that weight. The metabolism might have slowed right down, so in order to lose weight, she might have to reduce her intake quite a lot, over a long period of time. I imagine that would be difficult, if you gain comfort from eating, and it would also be difficult for those around her to deprive her of food when she gets upset.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    Probably because her Step Father was diagonsed with Cancer. I suspect her mum "needed" her with her.

No the step fatther being diagnosed with cancer thing was the reason she put on weight when she returned from the fat camp years ago. She came back at 18 stone and within a short period had put on about 30 stone or so because of her worries about the step dad. Then she was evacuated from her home (with mum and step dad) and when in hospital that time, lost about 18 stone in 4 months. She then moved out into her own flat that she shared with a friend and there was an update in the paper that she was sort of doing ok.

Fast forward to this story and she is getting evacuated from another property, so Im confused is that her own flat or did she move back to her mother's again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here is the previous thread about her. http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1440212&page=2 As always, full of people getting off on being harsh and cruel about her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here is the previous thread about her. http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1440212&page=2 As always, full of people getting off on being harsh and cruel about her.

Same as the Daily Mail comments. Saying things like that is not going to help someone in her condition.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But you seemed to imply that this thread was full of people being cruel about her and it doesnt appear that way. Why are you bringing up previous threads?
  • Options
    wuffleswuffles Posts: 45,776
    Forum Member
    If you ask me, Georgia should have been taken into care when she reached 33 stone as a 15 year old, if not before. It might have prevented her from going down the path she now seems to be on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But you seemed to imply that this thread was full of people being cruel about her and it doesnt appear that way. Why are you bringing up previous threads?

I think Wonkey may have been talking about the Daily Mail it's not the place you go for sympathy. Funny though they are all against people like this who are overweight. They don't comment on the Anorexia storys saying things like "Eat something then you wont die".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Wonkey may have been talking about the Daily Mail it's not the place you go for sympathy. Funny though they are all against people like this who are overweight. They don't comment on the Anorexia storys saying things like "Eat something then you wont die".

Well the Daily Mail is no barometer of decency so I dont see the point of talking about that (but not specifying that) on this thread.

I just hope they keep her in hospital for a decent amount of time until she is healthy.
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

To be fair, I've seen plenty of comments like that. Or saying the anorexic person in question is vain or whatever.

But I agree people, in general, seem to be far more critical of people with an eating disorder than makes them obese rather than underweight.
  • Options
    andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    Its costing £100k to remove her from her house! no doubt, paid by the taxpayer, £100k wow

one way its good shes getting help, but the problem should have been eliminated earlier and as usual, the government hand out money too easily
  • Options
    TellystarTellystar Posts: 12,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If she loses a tremendous amount of weight, will the NHS pay for surgery to remove the excess skin, which is going to hang in drapes, with all the complications of soreness, infection etc.?
    In her present state her life expectancy is limited
    I agree that she needs to be taken from her surroundings, which are contributing to her worsening condition.
    Probably best to be hospitalised, and kept on a strict regime
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw this earlier. She was doing really well as well. Hope she can get the help she needs.

.+1.

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tellystar wrote: »
    If she loses a tremendous amount of weight, will the NHS pay for surgery to remove the excess skin, which is going to hang in drapes, with all the complications of soreness, infection etc.?
    In her present state her life expectancy is limited
    I agree that she needs to be taken from her surroundings, which are contributing to her worsening condition.
    Probably best to be hospitalised, and kept on a strict regime

They wouldnt pay for this man. He has gone over to America as a Doctor over there saw him on TV. He has offered to pay for the skin removal himself.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3055350/Former-world-s-fattest-man-lost-46-STONE-goes-knife-America-remove-excess-skin-NHS-refused-it.html
  • Options
    vodkamargarinevodkamargarine Posts: 1,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As always, most of the comments are nothing but judgemental self-satisfaction. It probably isn't great to lose 18 stone at tremendous speed, then have almost no follow-up.

I would be willing to place a bet that not one of us wants to eat 13,000 calories a day, or could if (eg for a lucrative bet) we tried. How people love to congratulate themselves on their superior self-control, in not doing what they have never, for an instant, wanted to do.

The only way someone could possibly get up to that weight is by having a condition - that is a CONDITION, the magic word that has occasionally been known to turn abuse into sympathy - that means that they do not get full after eating. It is both idiotic and unpleasant to frame it in moral terms - that she does it because she is 'greedy'. A lot of us are 'greedy', but we don't put on a quarter of that amount of weight, because we stop eating when our greed is satisfied. Poor Georgia obviously has a body that doesn't work properly, and is no more to blame for that than if she had juvenile arthritis.

Whoa there! >:( I made no "judgemental self satisfaction " comments as far as I can see, I have every sympathy with this family, they need as much medical help as the next person. I'm not judging them at all but some will. You need to word your posts a little less accusing and aggressive! >:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didnt see a huge amount of judgement, I can see a lot of sympathy though. Are you talking about this thread?

I doubt it would take 13000 calories to maintain 60 stone. More like around 6k a day, easily done with a couple of takeaways (or equivalent)
    I was talking about the Mail comments, sorry if it wasn't clear. There are a few sympathetic comments, but they get masses of red arrows. The 13,000 calories a day is the amount the previous story says she was eating.

I thought people might be interested to see the previous story. It is surely normal if someone is in the news to link to the previous time they were in the news.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    First world problems
    :kitty:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    Loads! And benefits no doubt!

I tried to resist it but i can't

For someone who has posted so many diet threads over the net sounds like the pot calling the kettle.

How does someone on benefits have the cheek to over eat Ebony/tinks.

Your double standards never cease to amaze me! :confused::confused::confused:

I dare say you will have an answer, in the world of Tinks....... an intelligent answer.
  • Options
    EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    I tried to resist it but i can't

For someone who has posted so many diet threads over the net sounds like the pot calling the kettle.

How does someone on benefits have the cheek to over eat Ebony/tinks.

Your double standards never cease to amaze me! :confused::confused::confused:

I dare say you will have an answer, in the world of Tinks....... an intelligent answer.

Eh? How do I have double standards? And I never said anyone on benefits has the cheek to overeat :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    Eh? How do I have double standards? And I never said anyone on benefits has the cheek to overeat :confused:

i rest my case :)

As in do as i say not as i do eh?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i rest my case :)

As in do as i say not as i do eh?

:confused:

Did I say there was anything wrong with her being on benefits?
  • Options
    hazydayzhazydayz Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    If that was me i'd be waving to the neighbours on the way out lol. The Queens wave.
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :confused:

Did I say there was anything wrong with her being on benefits?

No, but this:
    Loads! And benefits no doubt!

Does sound a bit like you might be judging her for it. I can see why the other poster perhaps got that impression.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bex_123 wrote: »
    No, but this:

Does sound a bit like you might be judging her for it. I can see why the other poster perhaps got that impression.

I wasn't judging at all