Options

Please not another Top list DS!

dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
Forum Member
I cant fault the top 2 positions but damn its getting a little old now these lists on the greatest of all time.

Comments

• Options
    doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,339
    Forum Member
    Well I don't know which 'list' your specifically talking about as you did not include a link, but it's not like it's just this website. Radio times do it, Doctor who magazine do it, the wider media do it, and ,many, many websites do it.

In the absence or actual news, people like to review to pass the time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well I don't know which 'list' your specifically talking about as you did not include a link, but it's not like it's just this website. Radio times do it, Doctor who magazine do it, the wider media do it, and ,many, many websites do it.

In the absence or actual news, people like to review to pass the time.

Its on the main page.

The one where DS say bring on the contraversy.
  • Options
    adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cant fault the top 2 positions but damn its getting a little old now these lists on the greatest of all time.

If you don't like it then you don't have to read it, or create another thread. It's not compulsory.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Its on the main page.

The one where DS say bring on the contraversy.

Well I have this forum bookmarked, so I come straight to this page when I come on and don't see any other pages. After a quick search I have now seen it, but anyway, like I said in my earlier post, everyone does it, not just DS.

Have you never yourself either posed a poll thread question regarding rating something that may have been done in some form before, or given a reply to such a poll thread?. I'm guessing you have, because, whilst on some level I sympathise with your point, mainly I acknowledge that everyone likes to do these polls, including us on the forum, and that things like 'best doctor/companion/villain/story' are going to be popular subjects to revisit time and again.

Quite honestly if it's an amusing way for people to pass the time then I think there is nothing wrong with it (I often post my opinion in 'best of' type threads, and occasionally create them). On the other side of that, if I saw a page that said 'the doctors rated' or something similar, and I thought to myself 'ugh, not again', i'd just simply not bother to read it.
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Had a quick butchers. Pretty harmless stuff. I've got me favourites like everybody, but never had a Doctor I didn't like, so good to see no slagging off going on there...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    adams66 wrote: »
    If you don't like it then you don't have to read it, or create another thread. It's not compulsory.

Why does Digital Spy need to keep doing them? It seems the same argument over and over again who people think the best is. Its kinda getting boring at least they could come up with something interesting.
  • Options
    adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why does Digital Spy need to keep doing them? It seems the same argument over and over again who people think the best is. Its kinda getting boring at least they could come up with something interesting.

Because DS has a need to generate traffic I suppose and new poll, even if it's like the old polls, seems to do that.
  • Options
    Lord SmexyLord Smexy Posts: 2,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't complain about the top two, myself. I hardly ever see Patrick Troughton very high in these lists at all, let alone in first place.

Personally, I would have put Pertwee, Capaldi and Hartnell way higher than Tennant and Smith, but that's why we get to make threads.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just to make a point - if everyone had previously agreed to never do these polls again, then Capaldi would have never gotten to be included in one.

If everyone agreed to stop doing these type of polls right now, then we'd never get to see how Doctor 13 ranks against the rest in peoples affections.

Same goes for the Companion/villain/best story polls. New stuff is always being created which creates new options for these polls.

Not to mention the fan base and people who might vote is always changing, with some just getting into the show, and maybe some veering away from it.

Point is, the results can be different at different times. In this particular poll in question for example, I was surprised to see Patrick Troughton in the top spot, because any of these poll's I've seen before have almost always had David Tennant and Tom Baker occupying the top two spots in one order or the other. This example proves what I mean about variances.
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They should have had a worst Doctor poll.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    They should have had a worst Doctor poll.
    Actively encouraging people to slate actors and by extension there entire era on the show is not exactly the most pleasant use of a poll.

I don't think of any of the Doctor actors as 'the worst' and don't dislike any of them, and see many people saying the same thing.
  • Options
    Sam_Gee1Sam_Gee1 Posts: 1,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lord Smexy wrote: »
    I can't complain about the top two, myself. I hardly ever see Patrick Troughton very high in these lists at all, let alone in first place.

Personally, I would have put Pertwee, Capaldi and Hartnell way higher than Tennant and Smith, but that's why we get to make threads.

Definitely didn't agree with the bottom section of the list, excluding 13.
  • Options
    shortcrustshortcrust Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps we need a top 10 list of top 10 lists?
  • Options
    Lord SmexyLord Smexy Posts: 2,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the top "news" articles on DS today is whether two people slept with each other on some silly reality show, so in comparison a Doctor Who ranking looks far more newsworthy. I know which one I find less saddening.
    Sam_Gee1 wrote: »
    Definitely didn't agree with the bottom section of the list, excluding 13.

Not unexpected, but it is a shame. I suppose Colin didn't really have much to root for when it comes to the TV show alone, but I think McCoy certainly redeemed himself within those confines, which is more than McGann got.