What Do You Prefer: Doctor Who or Torchwood?

TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
Forum Member
✭✭
Okay, a possibly controversial thread.
Anyway, what do you like more? Doctor Who or Torchwood? Or are they both excellent? Or are they both awful?
Opinions, people?

Note: Sorry, I cannot create a poll yet so if anyone wants to they can create this thread again with a poll and merge the two threads.
The options would be:
Doctor Who
Torchwood
Both are equally good
Both are equally awful

Comments

• lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think you can really compare the 2 to be honest.

So let's just look at it honestly... One is a show for kids. One is far more grown up and serious. Not for children to watch at all. They are so far apart it wouldn't be fair to contrast them.

My favourite of the 2 is of course though, Doctor Who.
  • far2coolfar2cool Posts: 6,334
    Forum Member
    Don't ask that on here mate :L

You'll get essay sized replies full of hatred

But I'd definitely say Torchwood :)
  • tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doctor Who. Obviously.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    far2cool wrote: »
    Don't ask that on here mate :L

You'll get essay sized replies full of hatred

But I'd definitely say Torchwood :)

Doctor Who. Doctor Whoooooooooooooooooooooo :mad::mad:

:D
    Forum Member
    lordOfTime wrote: »
    Doctor Who. Doctor Whoooooooooooooooooooooo :mad::mad:

:D

The inevitability
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Changed the title to: "What do you prefer" instead of "What's better"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The inevitability

Let me put it this way. No Doctor Who, No Torchwood. :)
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,577
    Forum Member
    At the moment, TW.
    Forum Member
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When Doctor Who does great stories like The Doctor's Wife, which was a solid, well told story, Doctor Who wins every time.

Unfortunately when it does snorefests like most of Series 5 and the recent Ganger story, Torchwood wins everytime. Give me action and straight forward plotting anytime. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then **** of this forum

:cry::cry::cry::cry:

Goodbye everyone. It's been fun. :(:(

<walks away head bowed>
    Forum Member
    lordOfTime wrote: »
    Let me put it this way. No Doctor Who, No Torchwood. :)

I was waiting for that...

Still doesn't mean DW is better
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,577
    Forum Member

Indeed, look at Dallas and Knotts landing, the spin off, K L was far superior and lasted for years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally, I prefer character based or intellectual storylines as opposed to action.
    Just a personal preference.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I wasn't making a case for that if you read my first post. :)

Actually what I will say is Torchwood has come on leaps and bounds from what we saw in Season 1. But I still prefer Doctor Who.
  • lordo350lordo350 Posts: 3,633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's painful to admit but when Who is good, its unbeatable. Episodes like the Doctor's Wife, Eleventh Hour, Blink... superb TV that tops most other shows imo. But when its bad... damn it can be bad, Love and Monsters, Fear Her.
    Torchwood I've always enjoyed, but it didn't really hit sublime levels untill series 3. Children of Earth was spectacular, and imho beat everything that Who offered that year.
    It's not a simple matter of just compairing them, as both show has changed immensly since 2006. However, looking yearly...
    2006: Doctor Who
    2008: Doctor Who
    2009: Torchwood
    IMO Doctor Who has been superb this year, but we are only one episode into Torchwood so I can't speak for 2011. It seems that Doctor Who wins, but Miracle Day is shaping up to be very good.
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course Doctor Who is better overall. We've got, what is it, 42-odd series of Doctor Who and 3-and-a-bit series of Torchwood. If Doctor Who hadn't turned out a proportionally higher-than-average quality of stories across its run we'd never have got Torchwood.

Consequently, Doctor Who has to have produced more quality television than Torchwood, just by way of its massively extended length. That could change if Torchwood goes on for long enough - but right now, Doctor Who is ahead on the numbers.

From the purely subjective viewpoint, I'd still say I prefer Doctor Who. Its premise still remains one of the most unique and original in science fiction and is in the strong position to turn out pretty much any type of story it wants, episode to episode. Its title character is also one of the best ever conceived and has allowed the series to remain fresh in ways most shows could only dream of.

Torchwood is far more traditional by comparison and - IMO - has only had one truly outstanding series so far in "Children of Earth." That was a stand-out piece of entertainment and puts it high up all on its own. But it isn't enough to put it near what Doctor Who has acheived thus far.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Doctor Who, by a country mile. I've always preferred Dr Who but the last two series of TW have been excellent. However tonight's first episode of TW was trash.
  • Richie1001Richie1001 Posts: 8,217
    Forum Member
    It's hard to compare. When Torchwood was in it's early days it did bring up some pretty bad episodes. But - that being said, I'm not sure if anything Dr Who has offered (since it's come back) is better than Children of Earth.

I stand by my belief that COE may have been the best series in the last few years, regardless of genre.

I think Dr Who has consistency behind it, but at the highest levels (COE) I have preferred Torchwood.
    Forum Member
    Richie1001 wrote: »
    It's hard to compare. When Torchwood was in it's early days it did bring up some pretty bad episodes. But - that being said, I'm not sure if anything Dr Who has offered (since it's come back) is better than Children of Earth.

I stand by my belief that COE may have been the best series in the last few years, regardless of genre.

I think Dr Who has consistency behind it, but at the highest levels (COE) I have preferred Torchwood.

I agree, I don't think I could name a series, any TV series that has aired since that has been better
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 366
    Forum Member
    I prefer Torchwood I think. When I first started watching (when it first aired) it I was in primary school still, it was probably the most 'grown up' I'd watched ever. I remember how wrong I felt after watching episode 2. :D

I don't think Torchwood will capture again what I love about it, especially the short stories of each episode (as opposed to huge story arcs which I'm not sure I like - CoE was amazing, the best series of TW imo, but carrying on in this was with so many changes is a little disappointing to me). The fact that JB or EM said that TW had "found its identity" with the huge stories worries me a little, but I think from the first episode of S4 it's still a good show. So Torchwood overall.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    piggin26 wrote: »
    I prefer Torchwood I think. When I first started watching (when it first aired) it I was in primary school still, it was probably the most 'grown up' I'd watched ever. I remember how wrong I felt after watching episode 2. :D

I don't think Torchwood will capture again what I love about it, especially the short stories of each episode (as opposed to huge story arcs which I'm not sure I like - CoE was amazing, the best series of TW imo, but carrying on in this was with so many changes is a little disappointing to me). The fact that JB or EM said that TW had "found its identity" with the huge stories worries me a little, but I think from the first episode of S4 it's still a good show. So Torchwood overall.

I was in Primary School too...and wasn't allowed to watch it...:o:o
    Forum Member
    I was in Primary School too...and wasn't allowed to watch it...:o:o

I wasn't allowed in the first series either,... :(

Then a couple of years later I got a laptop and I REBELLED!!! :L
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    Doctor Who but COE > DW series 2 and the specials.
  • Force TenForce Ten Posts: 7,988
    Forum Member
    David Tennant's Dr Who yes. Matt Smith's Dr Who no. Torchwood is better IMO. My ideal scenario would be to have David Tennant come into Torchwood towards the end of the series to rescue the Earth! :D