Atlantic Rim - The Asylum at it again ..

JasonJason Posts: 76,557
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Trailer here ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVpQmZmKNmo

Not sure what to think really. The CGI looks awful but there's just something there that's pushing me towards giving it a look.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like a bad rim job. :p
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PJ2 wrote: »
    Looks like a bad rim job. :p

Ba-doom TISH!
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pacific Rim looks impressive at first glance but then pretty dull, not sure what they can do with Robots bashing sea creatures. Cloverfield did the subject very well, shaky camera work notwithstanding.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks surprisingly good haha
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had thought Pacific Rim sounded just like an Asylum movie anyway. Giant robots Vs Sea Monsters. That's very Asylum. Throw in a mega shark and crocosaurus and we're ready to roll.
  • Rincewind78Rincewind78 Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Voynich wrote: »
    I had thought Pacific Rim sounded just like an Asylum movie anyway. Giant robots Vs Sea Monsters. That's very Asylum. Throw in a mega shark and crocosaurus and we're ready to roll.

that's very Japanese you mean!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Voynich wrote: »

You're not wrong :)

I bet the Asylum were probably pissed they didn't think of it first. I'd be interested to know what the budget was - it was probably about the same as Pacific Rim's catering budget ...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ahhh so I watched it. Let's say I watched it at "US Pace", although I will obviously make financial reparations whenever i get the chance to ease my (alleged) conscience ;)

It's one of those films that truly is "so bad it's good". Many, many times I found myself laughing out loud at the sheer absurdity of it. One good example is a scene where one of the "bots" (as they're referred to in the film) falls from outer space back down to earth.

It lands on top of the other two "bots" with a bit of a "thunk". And starts a bit of a small fire.

Another one is a scene where the "military" are scrambling to intercept the monster and the scene is portrayed by 5 men in dodgy soldier outfits running down a beach front shouting "get out! get out!" :D

Certainly recommended if you fancy a laugh.
  • bob_fossilbob_fossil Posts: 797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked that the sub that went missing at the start, and the 3 robots - all had the same set dressing apart from a colour change of the light gels :rolleyes: :)

It's like they don't even bother making the effort with these films.
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How many more of these movies will there be? Is it a trilogy
  • KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    ... well. WOW. I mean. Just wow...

Watched Atlantic Rim and ... wow. I'm speechless

I mean, I know The Asylum's reputation. I expected it to be awful. But I never expected it to be THAT awful.

It fails on every level, especially the box it's supposed to tick (that it's a crap movie which is utterly mindless),

Absolutely not even worthy of another mention.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know it's a bit of a necro-bump, but I hope the mods don't mind because .. there's a sequel !!

d5af08d36b1e46068d0fee80fc4c2a02_340x501.jpg

Trailer here ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLlpVHj4YtI

I might have to give it a look - the first one was hilarious.
  • snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edited 23/03/18 - 15:01 #14
    It was on Horror a few months ago, Atlantic Rim that is. I watched about 10 minutes then turned it off. Laughably bad! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See now you missed the best parts. Yes it's laughably bad, but that's the point - that's why it's worth watching :smile: