Options

Neighbours: The One Soap No-One Should Be Missing...

Comments

• Options
    miles19740miles19740 Posts: 14,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deschanel wrote: »
    The problem with Lou is, is that they write him as a 1D character; Lou is so much more than this. Due to Tom Oliver's breaks, Bower and her team have struggled to write for Lou in any kind of substantial way (actually, before TO went recurring, Bower struggled to write for Lou anyway - I don't think she's ever truly understood his character), so what we get is supportive Lou, bully Lou, scam artist Lou, Harold's BFF Lou, "Pop" Lou, etc. Bully Lou is probably the worst Lou we've seen, as Lou has never been a bully, and his treatment of Kyle has always come across as out of character. Although "Pop" Lou was a development that should never have happened, as he became every preschooler's Pop overnight.

That aside, Lou is a scam artist, but he's also comical, cheeky and kinda charming, supportive and loyal who has always treated people with respect (unless they didn't deserve it); he has a lot of history with Karl and Susan, Toadie, Paul, (and Summer to an extent), and several children of his own, so there are a lot of stories that could be mined if TPTB engaged their brains. Also, a lot of Lou's money-making scams used to be comical and fun, not dull debt storylines - anyone remember him and Mishka making their own vodka in the Coffee Shop kitchen? The continuity with Lou whenever he returns is always off, they never have him reacting to anything unless it involves Kate and Sophie - does he even know that Karl and Susan have split-up? That Audrey died?

Did anyone see how they're trying to justify Kate's insta-feelings for Kyle with her saying that she's always liked him but never acted on it? What about the great love of her life, Mark Brennan? She certainly didn't have any buried feelings for Kyle when she was with Mark. Hopefully this will expose Kate's true colours, especially after the hell she put Jade through for having a ONS with Mark when they were on a break, and now she's literally planning on making a play for her best friend's man while they're together! Can you say hypocrite?

I can't wait until Susan Bower's material is over, and the new EP's start to air. Hopefully he'll have a better understanding of the characters and will know how to utilize Kate in an interesting way.

I am really split on Lou - the one with the Sid James laugh - because a) he has a long history with the show b) he supplies 'the older character' role. All that said, the fact that Tom Oliver has now semi-retired presents producers with a problem in terms of them creating meaningful / natural stories for Lou. I am not sure what the answer is. They could look at bringing in a family for him (either Lauren, Guy or Brenda ((his sister)) and write him out as and when...not sure. I do know this much, for me, the Kate-Lou-Lucas set up at the Ramseys isn't working. Personally, I would move Lucas in with Jade et al...and Kate in with Paul. Then there is Lou. If he had a family on the street, he could stay with them...otherwise, I guess he could stay with Toadie and Sonya.

Re: Kate...I really enjoyed her in Port Douglas. It seemed to breathe life into her. Now she is 'back', I can't stand her again. The answer is, for us viewers to see her vulnerable side I think...some how or other.

Re: Susan Bower...she left at Christmas, so I would have thought that Aussie viewers would start to see Richard's work at the start of April, with UK viewers seeing it at the start of May.
  • Options
    DeschanelDeschanel Posts: 8,745
    Forum Member
    miles19740 wrote: »
    I am really split on Lou - the one with the Sid James laugh - because a) he has a long history with the show b) he supplies 'the older character' role. All that said, the fact that Tom Oliver has now semi-retired presents producers with a problem in terms of them creating meaningful / natural stories for Lou. I am not sure what the answer is. They could look at bringing in a family for him (either Lauren, Guy or Brenda ((his sister)) and write him out as and when...not sure. I do know this much, for me, the Kate-Lou-Lucas set up at the Ramseys isn't working. Personally, I would move Lucas in with Jade et al...and Kate in with Paul. Then there is Lou. If he had a family on the street, he could stay with them...otherwise, I guess he could stay with Toadie and Sonya.
    I think that ship has sailed - reintroducing Lou's family. They've ignored it for too long, IMO. With the current set-up, Lou would be better of moving in with Karl and Summer. I don't think they need to give him meaningful stories every time he pops back, just during the times he stays longer, as he works well as a supporting player.
    Re: Kate...I really enjoyed her in Port Douglas. It seemed to breathe life into her. Now she is 'back', I can't stand her again. The answer is, for us viewers to see her vulnerable side I think...some how or other.
    I didn't enjoy any of Kate in Port Douglas at all. I just saw the same ol' Kate, except she was hooking up with a guy and we were supposed to care. In fact, I thought the Queensland shoot was a wasted opportunity, which mainly consisted of cliché storytelling and unnecessary antics with Paul.
    Re: Susan Bower...she left at Christmas, so I would have thought that Aussie viewers would start to see Richard's work at the start of April, with UK viewers seeing it at the start of May.
    I'm sure I read that next week Oz pace was when Richard Jasek and Susan Bower will be credited together, meaning his solo work won't début yet.
  • Options
    Rob1985Rob1985 Posts: 5,194
    Forum Member
    Jasek takes over from 2nd April Oz pace. So 4 weeks after for the UK (30th April). I for one cannot wait. The show is dreadful at the moment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rob1985 wrote: »
    Jasek takes over from 2nd April Oz pace. So 4 weeks after for the UK (30th April). I for one cannot wait. The show is dreadful at the moment.

So I was right then?

I wouldn't say it is "dreadful". Generally speaking, since June 2010, it has been on fine form. It has slipped slightly during the last fortnight I must admit...but perhaps we have been going through a 'transition' period...who knows?
  • Options
    ButterfliesButterflies Posts: 2,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved Kate's top in Friday's episode but aside from that she's really grating on me. The writing for her lately has been abysmal! How long is Erin planning to stay on the show? I wouldn't mind seeing more of their friendship developing - I just don't want any more romance storylines with Kate!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally I think it is time to let Lou go permanently, him popping up now and again is meaningless, I used to like him many moons ago but these days, no, he adds nothing to the programme whatsoever. What hold does he have that he can come and go as he pleases?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    tinkie wrote: »
    Personally I think it is time to let Lou go permanently, him popping up now and again is meaningless, I used to like him many moons ago but these days, no, he adds nothing to the programme whatsoever. What hold does he have that he can come and go as he pleases?

he is useless without his sidekick , Jellybelly
  • Options
    gilly1981gilly1981 Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rob1985 wrote: »

They didn't return to filming 2012 episode till 23rd January. It will most likely be the 16th or the week after Richard will take the producer reigns by himself.

Both Richard Jasek and Susan Bower are both listed as producers at the moment.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They've really changed Kate's personality - she used to be really caring - now she seems only interested in herself - I don't know if she's supposed to be going through some breakdown which is making her behave this way - I suppose that might explain it?! She seems very cold and dispassionate towards everybody.

I thought it was obvious with Kate? It's understandable how she's acting after everything she's been through.
  • Options
    rocketsaladrocketsalad Posts: 1,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finally watching the omnibus after missing a ton of episodes all week, and I think this week's been okay.

I've talked at length about how much I think Priya sucks, but I absolutely loved her screwing over Paul on the school donation. If we can get more of this bitchy Priya, I'm all for it. I quite like Rani as well, although I still don't understand how her and Sophie are suddenly besties from before she first turned up.

There was a time there for a bit while Kate Ramsey was on Kate Ramsey's Magical Mystery Tour and Michael's Pointless Amnesia ended that I didn't care if I missed an episode, but this week's been better. I'm not really hating Kate that much anymore, but like a lot of you not really understanding how Kyle is suddenly "the one that got away" when she was all heartbroken to leave Dominic a few weeks back.

Michael of course is still the worst.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michael of course is still the worst.

his surfboard has more personality :D
  • Options
    Rob1985Rob1985 Posts: 5,194
    Forum Member
    gilly1981 wrote: »
    They didn't return to filming 2012 episode till 23rd January. It will most likely be the 16th or the week after Richard will take the producer reigns by himself.

Both Richard Jasek and Susan Bower are both listed as producers at the moment.

The first episode filmed in 2012 is shown in Oz on Monday.
  • Options
    becksy1892becksy1892 Posts: 326
    Forum Member
    Does anyone (UK based) try to watch the Oz soaps at oz pace.
    I do so with H & A so thought I would start with Neighbours but can't find on YouTube or dailymotion. Seems that after a couple of weeks episodes get deleted so can't go back far enough to start from where we are in the UK (ep 6351).
    Does anyone know of anywhere else to watch?? Cheers :)
  • Options
    eveningstareveningstar Posts: 19,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tinkie wrote: »

have to agree with you. I love Neighbours but since he came back I only watch on catch up so I can fast forward the minute he appears
  • Options
    Forum Member
    gilly1981 wrote: »
    She doesn't leave again.

i always thought you were male, sorry :o:D
  • Options
    rocketsaladrocketsalad Posts: 1,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    have to agree with you. I love Neighbours but since he came back I only watch on catch up so I can fast forward the minute he appears

and the worst thing is, I think they script Lou like he's the King of Humour not completely insufferable. He seriously needs to be let go, or at least given a point.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    New storyline for Lou..he chokes on a cupcake and well , dies :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    and the worst thing is, I think they script Lou like he's the King of Humour not completely insufferable. He seriously needs to be let go, or at least given a point.

I completely agree, it feels embarrassing to see him on screen :(. What happened to his car selling business, did he sell the lot to Kyle? They could put him back in Harold's Store then at least he would be doing something if they have to have him back on the street.
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sadly true. When he was made sort-of guardian to the Ramsey kids, that should have signalled the start of some new stories for him, but his part time contract has spoiled that. Putting him in the coffee shop might be the best way to go, like when he owned the pub. He doesn't have to be part of any ongoing plots, he can just be there as a Yoda, doling out advice to all and sundry.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Sadly true. When he was made sort-of guardian to the Ramsey kids, that should have signalled the start of some new stories for him, but his part time contract has spoiled that. Putting him in the coffee shop might be the best way to go, like when he owned the pub. He doesn't have to be part of any ongoing plots, he can just be there as a Yoda, doling out advice to all and sundry.

lol.. he;s seems to be the local agony aunt (uncle)
  • Options
    Special AppearanceSpecial Appearance Posts: 8,013
    Forum Member
    I have never and will never buy the idea that it's too late to bring in Lou's family. With the horrendous state of the cast at the moment in terms of there being so many drips and drabs and no proper, established families, I think bringing in some of Lou's family is the answer. They could quite easily bring in Lauren, with a husband and 2 or even 3 children. It is the only way Lou will ever have a decent purpose again, because A) They are his family so there's potential for meaningful drama and B) Lou needs someone there for him to naturall interact with. All the characters he worked well with are gone now. Without Harold, he needs a purpose and bringing in his family could well be that.

The fact that it's been so long since he's spoken about them gives the writers a chance to have a blank canvas and create the family from scratch and as well as this, there can be conflict between Lou and Lauren (and/or Guy) for not being a good father to them in recent years.

I don't think there should be talk of getting rid of such a legend when it's the writers themselves that are responsible for the way the character has suffered. Him being part-time is no excuse, they can use him better for the few months that he is there. Harold almost became redundant in 2002 and early 2003 when all his family had left and he only had Lou to interact with; when Sky and the Bishops arrived it was like a breath of fresh air and Harold was interesting again. I don't see why the same can't happen for Lou as long as the characters are well-crafted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have never and will never buy the idea that it's too late to bring in Lou's family. With the horrendous state of the cast at the moment in terms of there being so many drips and drabs and no proper, established families, I think bringing in some of Lou's family is the answer. They could quite easily bring in Lauren, with a husband and 2 or even 3 children. It is the only way Lou will ever have a decent purpose again, because A) They are his family so there's potential for meaningful drama and B) Lou needs someone there for him to naturall interact with. All the characters he worked well with are gone now. Without Harold, he needs a purpose and bringing in his family could well be that.

The fact that it's been so long since he's spoken about them gives the writers a chance to have a blank canvas and create the family from scratch and as well as this, there can be conflict between Lou and Lauren (and/or Guy) for not being a good father to them in recent years.

I don't think there should be talk of getting rid of such a legend when it's the writers themselves that are responsible for the way the character has suffered. Him being part-time is no excuse, they can use him better for the few months that he is there. Harold almost became redundant in 2002 and early 2003 when all his family had left and he only had Lou to interact with; when Sky and the Bishops arrived it was like a breath of fresh air and Harold was interesting again. I don't see why the same can't happen for Lou as long as the characters are well-crafted.

I totally agree with what you say. Lou could have the potential to become the 'new Harold' / 'new Helen' couldn't he.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Even if Tom Oliver did end up retiring, at least his family would still be in the Street and his legacy would live on! As it currently stands, he will be totally forgotten about once he leaves! :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even if Tom Oliver did end up retiring, at least his family would still be in the Street and his legacy would live on! As it currently stands, he will be totally forgotten about once he leaves! :(

Absolutely.

I suggested here or somewhere else that they could also look at bringing Brenda back. The 'conflict' between the two back in the day made for great viewing.

Having a 'family' on the street for Lou would give him a reason for returning...would it not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    miles19740 wrote: »
    Absolutely.

I suggested here or somewhere else that they could also look at bringing Brenda back. The 'conflict' between the two back in the day made for great viewing.

Having a 'family' on the street for Lou would give him a reason for returning...would it not.

Exactly, why does Tom Oliver being part-time mean Lou's family shouldn't be brought back in? :confused: I mean, he'll still be there half of the time and like you say, he'd actually have a reason to be there.

Truth is, Lou hasn't had a decent long-term storyline since 2004 when the Trixie storyline led him to a breakdown.
This discussion has been closed.