Options

ITV1's Titanic discussion thread

Comments

• Options
    Tangledweb7Tangledweb7 Posts: 3,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shya100 wrote: »
    I hate that about some men and women. where the woman who is the same age looks alot older. Kate is actually a year younger.

Its crazy and unfortunate usually to the women. But in fairness even now Leonardo De Caprio still looks younger then his age.:)
  • Options
    shya100shya100 Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tewkesbury wrote: »
    He's done the romance all wrong. The cute maid should forget about the waiter and get it on with Lady Georgiana.

Well all the men are gonna die....what is a girl to do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its crazy and unfortunate usually to the women. But in fairness even now Leonardo De Caprio still looks younger then his age.:)

I think he pretty much looks his age now. He was very baby faced then. I don't think kate looks any older or younger than him anymore and she has always looked a bit older than her age.
  • Options
    jj2jj2 Posts: 4,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you reckin they were the basis for Jack and Rose because to me when i seen Titanic all those many years ago Kate Winslet looked way older than Leonardo Di Caprio. I remember thinking, Oh! Kate leave that kid alone he is too young for you.:D;)
    It's hard to say but it just goes to show that real life stories are often more interesting fictional one's . By the way the woman that Michael McEvoy ran away with , had been married before but had left her husband
  • Options
    Tangledweb7Tangledweb7 Posts: 3,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jj2 wrote: »
    It's hard to say but it just goes to show that real life stories are often more interesting fictional one's . By the way the woman that Michael McEvoy ran away with , had been married before but had left her husband

That's true i have been watching the Len Goodman series and the stories on it a hell of alot more interesting.:)

I heard of another similar story of a couple from Ireland that eloped they both died but the parents of the girl did'nt realise when the daughter suddenly appeared at the front door of the house. Gave me the creeps:eek:
  • Options
    Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tonight on Yesterday channel 9 pm

The Band Played On
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's true i have been watching the Len Goodman series and the stories on it a hell of alot more interesting.:)

It has always amused me how much more interesting and dramatic real life is, but how real life rarely makes good drama (plays, books, films etc) and how everything is always embellished (to say the least)
  • Options
    BIDIE-INBIDIE-IN Posts: 1,734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    QUOTE There are two versions a chronological one told in two episodes and the one we have, many countries bought the two episode one QUOTE

Oh how I wish ITV had done the same. I wonder if that version can be bought on dvd for this country?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BIDIE-IN wrote: »
    QUOTE There are two versions a chronological one told in two episodes and the one we have, many countries bought the two episode one QUOTE

Oh how I wish ITV had done the same. I wonder if that version can be bought on dvd for this country?

I saw the first 90 minutes and they get things wrong and put a lot in the wrong order. I wouldn't be so sure it is better. And I think they do go back to different persepcitices to some extent.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw the first 90 minutes and they get things wrong and put a lot in the wrong order. I wouldn't be so sure it is better. And I think they do go back to different persepcitices to some extent.

All this to-ing and fro-ing between the time lines, is this just a ploy to attempt to disguise how bad this is?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All this to-ing and fro-ing between the time lines, is this just a ploy to attempt to disguise how bad this is?

No its what the producers wanted and they hired Fellows to write it. It is all their fault if you ask me, they did this and then scheduled it over a month. Absolute nonsense, it should have been shown in one week. Anyway maybe next week will be worth it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No its what the producers wanted and they hired Fellows to write it. It is all their fault if you ask me, they did this and then scheduled it over a month. Absolute nonsense, it should have been shown in one week. Anyway maybe next week will be worth it.

There might yet be a twist in "Downton All at Sea"
    The iceberg will sink and the boat float.
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There might yet be a twist in "Downton All at Sea"
    The iceberg will sink and the boat float.

Nooooooooooo!

Save the iceberg...........she is the star, hat 'n all!!!:):)
  • Options
    Queen MaeveQueen Maeve Posts: 22,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Picked this up on Twitter -Titanic: Blood & Steel starts in Italy this week on @RaiTV Here's the Italian tv promo.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6DLgwALneo

Will the BBC be showing this? I am wondering if RTE will as it was made in Ireland but with European,mainly Italian funding.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nooooooooooo!

Save the iceberg...........she is the star, hat 'n all!!!:):)

When it passed by the ship, for a moment I thought it was Julian Fellowes with a sheet over his head, the imagery was that bad.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.itv.com/titanic/episodes/episode-four/

Oh my days - it's not a straight continuation!
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Picked this up on Twitter -Titanic: Blood & Steel starts in Italy this week on @RaiTV Here's the Italian tv promo.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6DLgwALneo

Will the BBC be showing this? I am wondering if RTE will as it was made in Ireland but with European,mainly Italian funding.

I believe the BBC plan to show it and I'd be amazed if RTE don't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    http://www.itv.com/titanic/episodes/episode-four/

Oh my days - it's not a straight continuation :mad:

No the only difference is that it starts on the night of the disaster. In fairness the ship was about to go down in the first two episodes anyway so what more could they do apart from which men are pulled from the water and survive that is basically probs most of episode 4
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still can't get over the thoughtfulness of all the other frantic passengers in episode 2 who, in the desperate race to try and reach the last remaining lifeboats, kindly deserted that particular part of the boat deck to allow the Batleys have a quiet heart-to-heart and few strokes of that poor doomed pooch. What a considerate lot.
  • Options
    woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A little OT, but does anyone else get disproportionately annoyed by people (especially British documentary narrators) referring to the Titanic simply as 'Titanic'? This is something I swear I never heard before the 1996 film, so I assume it is an Americanism that has taken over. In all previous films and documentaries, the characters refer to the ship as 'the Titanic' (much as one would say 'the Queen Mary' or 'the QEII' or 'the Lusitania'. Heck, even the old Clive Cussler novel and film were titled 'Raise THE Titanic', not 'Raise Titanic'. Say your definite articles, people! :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When it passed by the ship, for a moment I thought it was Julian Fellowes with a sheet over his head, the imagery was that bad.

Doghouse - you still crack me up. SO glad I did not have a mouthful of tea when I read that, I would be cleaning the PC for days!!!!!

I know they only built one 'side' of the ship for filming, the idea being that they would use a reverse angle to show what was happening on the other side. Apparently tunic buttons etc would be moved from left to right to complete the illusion.

To be honest the whole thing is so bad that they could have the passengers winched to safety in helicopters and it wouldn't matter to the remaining viewers. There is nobody on board to CARE about.......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No the only difference is that it starts on the night of the disaster. In fairness the ship was about to go down in the first two episodes anyway so what more could they do apart from which men are pulled from the water and survive that is basically probs most of episode 4

Fellowes should have made a drama based around the two inquiries - one in the US one in the UK - that followed the sinking. Working from the surviving testimony it would have been fascinating to see how Ismay, Duff Gordon etc were cross examined in the witness box, as well as the lower class passengers and surviving crew. This would at least give viewers a new angle to the disaster and, being fact based, would be much more involving and moving.

On Len Goodman's excellent half hour programme yesterday I learnt how Randolph Hearst had a healthy dislike of Bruce Ismay even before Titanic sailed. He wasted no time in putting the boot in via his publications when this man managed to survive.
  • Options
    teabag 1957teabag 1957 Posts: 604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doghouse - you still crack me up. SO glad I did not have a mouthful of tea when I read that, I would be cleaning the PC for days!!!!!

I know they only built one 'side' of the ship for filming, the idea being that they would use a reverse angle to show what was happening on the other side. Apparently tunic buttons etc would be moved from left to right to complete the illusion.

To be honest the whole thing is so bad that they could have the passengers winched to safety in helicopters and it wouldn't matter to the remaining viewers. There is nobody on board to CARE about.......

Sorry if this has already been posted but does anyone else get the impression that there are only about 30 people on board!!
  • Options
    Pandora.Pandora. Posts: 21,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where did you see that, out of interest? :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fellowes should have made a drama based around the two inquiries - one in the US one in the UK - that followed the sinking. Working from the surviving testimony it would have been fascinating to see how Ismay, Duff Gordon etc were cross examined in the witness box, as well as the lower class passengers and surviving crew. This would at least give viewers a new angle to the disaster and, being fact based, would be much more involving and moving.

On Len Goodman's excellent half hour programme yesterday I learnt how Randolph Hearst had a healthy dislike of Bruce Ismay even before Titanic sailed. He wasted no time in putting the boot in via his publications when this man managed to survive.

'Fact based' being the word. That is all they ever are based in fact. Fellows did what was asked of him. I really think the blame needs to stop being put on him, after all he was just hired like the actors. It fault lies with the producers and ITV. This isn't like DA they just went to him and said we want this can you write it.