Whatsapp on Andriod charging?

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose so.

Will they start to charge people who have lifetime subscriptions?

I think a lot of my friends would stop using to if they had to pay a subscription. Not because they're tight, but because of the hassle of setting up a payment card, etc.

Its not that much of a necessity. Most phone tariffs include loads of free texts. Many unlimited, like mine.

For picture messaging, there's always email, Facebook messenger, and tonnes of other free messaging platforms
  • coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .........IOS users pay 69p, and have done since it was launched. For much of this time, it was completely free on Android. So at that point you could have complained that iOS users were being ripped off.

Besides, rumour is that it'll move to a subscription service on iOS too.

My wife got it yonks ago on her 3GS and didn't have to pay for it at all or anything since,she is on a 4S now

Whilst I DL it onto my IP4 about 18 months ago and then onto my IP4s and had to pay a one off 69p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My wife got it yonks ago on her 3GS and didn't have to pay for it at all or anything since,she is on a 4S now

Whilst I DL it onto my IP4 about 18 months ago and then onto my IP4s and had to pay a one off 69p

Are you sure about this? I don't think WhatsApp has ever been free in the App Store, unless it was for a very brief period when it launched.
  • trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you sure about this? I don't think WhatsApp has ever been free in the App Store, unless it was for a very brief period when it launched.

I had whatsapp from around March 2012 until around April this year, and didn't pay a thing. It's well worth the small charge IMO.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had whatsapp from around March 2012 until around April this year, and didn't pay a thing. It's well worth the small charge IMO.

I meant in the iOS App Store. I think it's always been chargeable.
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But the iOS users pay about 50p. Once.

Android users are expected to pay every year.

I know 69p is cheap. But its not the money. Its the principle of it

All platforms are moving to a once a year charging going forward. Whether this requires existing users to pay again will have to be seen.
  • sonicshadowsonicshadow Posts: 8,388
    Forum Member

It's free right now.
  • liamhereliamhere Posts: 2,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    us windows phone users get it free for a year...i am sure 69p is not "a rip off" :)
    think of the money you save on sending a MMS....bargain i think!
  • liamhereliamhere Posts: 2,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I meant in the iOS App Store. I think it's always been chargeable.

yes you pay for it from day one with apple
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Just checked WhatsApp on Windows Phone, iOS and Symbian... all of them are still going on in their normal yearly trials. And no, iOS users don't pay once, they pay 69p a year just like every other OS/device user.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Homers wrote: »
    Just checked WhatsApp on Windows Phone, iOS and Symbian... all of them are still going on in their normal yearly trials. And no, iOS users don't pay once, they pay 69p a year just like every other OS/device user.

Well I started using what's app in 2010 on my iPhone. I paid 69p for it. I've been using it since 2010 and I'm now using it on android. I've only ever paid that initial 69p.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Homers wrote: »

That's not correct. On iOS you pay 69p once to download the app. It's not on a subscription model with iOS, unless that's changed very recently.
  • WelshBluebirdWelshBluebird Posts: 740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's not correct. On iOS you pay 69p once to download the app. It's not on a subscription model with iOS, unless that's changed very recently.

Which it has (as of around a week ago)
  • Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paying 69p is not a rip off, if it bothers you so much use WeChat or Viber which are free.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which it has (as of around a week ago)

Ah yeah, I've just read something about it. Existing users won't have to pay the subscription though. It's like anything: prices and subscription plans change. Not sure why some people think that's a rip-off.
  • asyousayasyousay Posts: 38,838
    Forum Member
    I got my whatsapp for free , I thought it was free for one of the Xmas promo's they did on iTunes .
  • Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    For those that think WhatsApp iOS users are only charged once....this is changing

http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/18/4121940/whatsapp-for-ios-moving-to-subscription-model-this-year
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aye Up wrote: »
    For those that think WhatsApp iOS users are only charged once....this is changing

http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/18/4121940/whatsapp-for-ios-moving-to-subscription-model-this-year

That article is from March and, as we've already established, WhatsApp for iOS has now changed. Like with Android, it's now free to download and for the first year, then 69p per year on subscription.

If, however, you already have WhatsApp for iOS, you'll find that your subscription is 'lifetime'.
  • Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    That article is from March and, as we've already established, WhatsApp for iOS has now changed. Like with Android, it's now free to download and for the first year, then 69p per year on subscription.

If, however, you already have WhatsApp for iOS, you'll find that your subscription is 'lifetime'.

Well that shows me for being a smart arse :o

Will go back to my hole now lol
  • poshbakerlooposhbakerloo Posts: 238
    Forum Member
    Tango wrote: »

Has anyone paid the fees or think its a rip off?

Thanks

69p...