Sixth Formers: Actor's or Writer's fault?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
Forum Member
So Maddie, Neil and Jono are all dead. The Sixth Former's were generally, or at the very least online not very well liked. People seem to have warmed to them this week or even if they haven't warmed to them(i.e Maddie) seem to think killing them off was a waste.

Do you think the Sixth Former's were just badly written or was the public's reaction to them based on their ability to act?

Personally I don't think Neil was ever really given a chance to prove himself. Maddie's character's inconsistencies must have confused to hell out of Scarlett Bowman and made her difficult to play. Jono only recently got some decent storylines.

Comments

• Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think writing definitely.

But, the group did need trimming down to get the balance back with the older group. I just think the picked off the wrong ones.

The bore that is Ruby should've died.

In fact thinking about it, Ruby is proof it's the writer's fault. Didn't she have Maddie's personality for the most of last year before they made Maddie the bitch?

When it comes to the acting talent of the sixth formers; Jono and Maddie should have been the only ones safe.
  • Scorpio2Scorpio2 Posts: 5,632
    Forum Member
    The writing for sure. The actors sadly got the blame for how their characters were written.
  • vkmaxvkmax Posts: 3,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ALL bad characters are the fault of the writer because however skilled the actor a bad script is a bad script.

The problem with the teens is not only have NONE of them matured as people since thier introduction but Bart - who shared a love with a transgender person and changed thier name for them - and Sinead who found out her brother was a donor baby and Ruby who had her learning difficulties - all actually regressed as characters and become more selfish and immature.
  • Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of the problem was caused by the fact that for a period of about sixth months they were constantly on air with quite tedious storylines. It was absolute overkill and over shadowed many other characters/stories. From that point on it was very difficult for them to become liked, it became the norm to not like them regardless. Emma S just seemed to want to force us to like them!
  • jendejende Posts: 21,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having only really tuned into Hollyoaks again since the late nighter, I'd say from all the little I've seen, the teens acting didn't seem bad at all, so would put it down to the script. I didn't like their part in the late nighter, didn't interest me, but now that two of them have copped it, feel glad they had a moment to do their thing then! Just a shame it wasn't Bart they did in, when he first joined HO and I was watching then, didn't like him and nothing has changed! But I do think it's more the case of bad script than particularly bad acting.
  • HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think its many factors including the writing, bad character development, too many of them for starters, in the early days it was overload they where on screen constantly, most of them are not connected to any of the families so didn't see any of them outside of what was going on in the group and it just felt like a lot of the best characters were being overlook for the teens and students there was no balance at all.

This is where the show starts to fail when they focus on one group of characters more then the others, the last teens I honestly liked were from 2006-2008 period because they where part of families and we saw them come from high school to 6th form, theses one just automatically turned up out of nowhere and it was hard to get attach to any of them, it was only when George had his own storyline that it gave us a chance to see what they made of.

In all honestly the ones they killed off was in the best interest of the show Jono was probably the only one who might of been salvageable its just a shame they didn't take Bart, Ruby or Sinead with them.
  • OminousGloryOminousGlory Posts: 5,019
    Forum Member
    Without question it was the writers. I think all the teens are/were played by very good actors/actresses. Scarlett was always the stand out though. The rage that Maddie caused on this forum was a work of magic. :D
  • rocketsaladrocketsalad Posts: 1,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harlowe wrote: »
    I think its many factors including the writing, bad character development, too many of them for starters, in the early days it was overload they where on screen constantly, most of them are not connected to any of the families so didn't see any of them outside of what was going on in the group and it just felt like a lot of the best characters were being overlook for the teens and students there was no balance at all.

This is where the show starts to fail when they focus on one group of characters more then the others, the last teens I honestly liked were from 2006-2008 period because they where part of families and we saw them come from high school to 6th form, theses one just automatically turned up out of nowhere and it was hard to get attach to any of them, it was only when George had his own storyline that it gave us a chance to see what they made of.

In all honestly the ones they killed off was in the best interest of the show Jono was probably the only one who might of been salvageable its just a shame they didn't take Bart, Ruby or Sinead with them.
    This was my problem with the teens. They were forced on us a lot, when really why should we have cared? George's storyline definitely showed him to be a strong character.

I think they have killed off the right teens, although I wouldn't have minded if Bart and Sinead had left either. But I guess there is more to do with those two as they have families or in the case of Sinead, unwanted pregnancies. Which... will probably be tedious.

The thing is, they seem to have got it sorted with the younger teens. Esther, Lacey and Phoebe are all great teen characters and when they introduced Callum's family he became a much better character.

Jono spent the majority of his time being a huge pain in the arse and I don't think the actor was that good. I didn't even think he was that good this week. Neil, pointless character and his storyline about learning to drive was terrible. And Maddie... yeah, absolutely awful.

I think they definitely made the right choices where the teens are concerned.
  • whoyouarexowhoyouarexo Posts: 6,099
    Forum Member
    Writing

Jono with better writing has had more positive feedback from here in the last few weeks then pretty much his whole stint

The guy who plays Neil is a capable actor who could of done so much more

Steph Davis is great, when Sinead first came in she was brilliant. She was brilliant with the car crash stuff and with better writing she could be better

Anna who plays ruby is another great find, everybody despised ruby when she first came into HO but with a bit of development she's one that actually gets good feedback
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, TBH, it was like they suddenly gave Maddie Ruby's bitchy personality in order to save Ruby's character. lol
  • thebill22thebill22 Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definetly the writers, Bart when he was with Jasmine would do anything for her and was really great and now he's with Sinead, completely different character, if that was Jasmine, he would of never left but then hopefully they might make something of it and Sinead might realise he doesn't love her, he never has and then he goes off to find Jason and be with Jason.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually liked him with Jasmine/Jason and wish they had continued with the storyline if the actress hadn't left.
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    thebill22 wrote: »
    Definetly the writers, Bart when he was with Jasmine would do anything for her and was really great and now he's with Sinead, completely different character, if that was Jasmine, he would of never left but then hopefully they might make something of it and Sinead might realise he doesn't love her, he never has and then he goes off to find Jason and be with Jason.
    Harlowe wrote: »
    I actually liked him with Jasmine/Jason and wish they had continued with the storyline if the actress hadn't left.

I agree, I like Bart but not when he is with Sinead. He showed great potential with Jasmine/Jason then they stuck him with the vapid Sinead and he became almost as bad as her.
  • hsellorshsellors Posts: 849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Silly question but where does/did Tilly and Jono live?
  • MallidayMalliday Posts: 3,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The writing was awful.

But nobody can tell me that Jono wasn't one of the worst actors ever seen on this show.

Anna Shaffer is also terrible.

I know Neil's character was meant to be dim, but he never came across as a great actor either.

Bart isn't much better. I think he has one expression in total.

Even the actress playing Maddie was pretty weak.

Let's put it this way, I just saw an advert for Made In Chelsea. And their scripted melodrama looked more realistic than anything most of the sixth-formers managed to portray during their time on Holloaks. And that really is saying something.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actors can only work with what they are given, (with one exception on HO, when ad libbing comes to the fore and they are so confident in their role, they make it their own. No names of course)

So the writing of the character is key. Some of the teens, and indeed, other characters on HO are better at acting then others. It is all down to experience and as it is a teen soap, the acting credentials will be limited.

But there is another scenario, casting. IMO all of the teens were well casted with the exception of Maddie. They were all young niave people with no experience of life and were portayed in this way but grew as time went on and as they grew we liked them more (Jelly excepted).

Maddies actress is 26 portraying a 17 year old and she was written as an older more experienced character who had control of all the others to varying degrees.

No disrespect to Scarlett but in the case of ES, nepotism went too far. But that is just my opinion.
  • FingersAndToesFingersAndToes Posts: 9,956
    Forum Member
    Writing for sure. When given the chance the actors have shown, they can shine. Just 2 weeks of better writing for Jono, and he was actually quite liked. Sinead was great already during the crash, when she was away from the OTT bullying. I am absolutely positive, that Maddie would have been better liked had she not been written as insufferable selfish cow for 99% of the time. Neil was not written for at all.

When the actors are told to act rubbish script, that is exactly what they will do: act rubbish script.
  • RobRob Posts: 4,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is George liked on here? I don't watch a massive amount of Hollyoaks, but I saw the bus crash episodes and there was a moment after Maddy died when George turned round, grabbed his hair in grief and sobbed. I thought that was brilliant.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes they just get it wrong with the younger characters specifically, I think its when they're all collective instead of individual characters when you see them without the others around it gives them a chance to shine, in my opinion they should focus more on the older characters instead of always going back to the students it just doesn't always workout plus the cast was too big and they always had problems with storylines and continuity, a smaller cast is better to work with then a larger one with characters fighting for screen time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RobInnes wrote: »
    Is George liked on here? I don't watch a massive amount of Hollyoaks, but I saw the bus crash episodes and there was a moment after Maddy died when George turned round, grabbed his hair in grief and sobbed. I thought that was brilliant.

Initially I think he wasn't positively liked but after he got his own storyline it gave viewers the chance to see what a great potential he had and changed a great lot of opinions of him.
  • RobRob Posts: 4,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He does seem to be played well if anything. Like I say, I'm not a massive watcher (though I am considering changing my mind after the bus crash) but his homelessness storyline apparently went to some pretty dark places.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    I think they should have killed off bart and ruby. Then they should have brought in maddies family and develop her more as a person so we could understand her a bit more.

Burt especially has nothing going for him!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JoToBo wrote: »
    No disrespect to Scarlett but in the case of ES, nepotism went too far. But that is just my opinion.

How on earth is it nepotism?
    She introduced a group of characters, one of which was Maddie and she is giving them lots of material and screen time. As any producer does when they join the show.

I've never understood the intense hatred for Maddie and the actress on this forum. She is far, far from the worst actor the show has had. Has anyone watched Liberty, Theresa and Texas?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    I think they should have killed off bart and ruby. Then they should have brought in maddies family and develop her more as a person so we could understand her a bit more.

Burt especially has nothing going for him!

He looked pretty hot with the five o'clock shadow. Aside from that though they should just get rid.
  • Scorpio87Scorpio87 Posts: 1,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The writers have been so inconsistent with all the teens since their arrival. When they were recieved negatively ES seemed to take it on board and i genuinely thought she'd try to iron out the rough edges (make them more likeable and give them more mature, serious storylines) but instead she seemed to just make them more unlikeable (how was them all bullying Esther really going to endear them to anybody!?) and give them tedious storylines (Bart's sudden addiction to weed) to try and make them some sort of Hollyoaks version of Skins and it didn't work.

Maddie was my favourite and i HATE what became of her character. When she was introduced she was just a shallow, catty young girl brought in to stir things up which she did brilliantly. Her pairing with Callum showed that underneath all her bitchiness there was a nice person with a heart and really gave her some depth. Unfortunately the writers/producers decided that Caddie should be sacrificed for Bart/Sinead and Jono/Ruby (because for some reason it was assumed those couples were really working well) and Maddie was quickly regressed to a nasty girl with no redeeming features who enjoyed making others miserable and could only appear in episodes if Esther was in them. I understand why people hated her because of her treatment of Esther but the character had so much more going for her if only she hadn't been permanently palmed off with 'Queen Bee' storylines and instead more effort had been put into developing the character beyond her bitchy exterior. Once the limited amount of character development she recieved was ditched the character was butchered by the writers and now shes been killed off in a tacky, OTT way which was just an insult to the original character, the actress and to to those of us who still really liked her.

Jono and Neil's problem was both the writing and characterisation of them both. They had very similar personalities which mean't they were interchangable and that one of them (usually Neil) was a bit redundant. Neither had a real storyline between them and Jono's only purpose seemed to be to be Ruby's soppy boyfriend and that was it.

Strangely they did a brilliant job of developing George and Callum outside of the others and saw how well that worked but for some reason refused to explore the others outside of the group dynamic and so they became very limited.

All in all the blame is with the producers and writers. The characters didn't work as well as others due to inconsistent writing, bad characterisation and just a general lack of effort with all three of them. As much as i loved Maddie (and Jono, just to a lesser extent) i'm glad she's finally left as they totally destroyed the complex character i loved and replaced her with a panto baddie. Hopefully now we are left with the dull, non offensive teens (Esther,Tilly, George) people (and the producers) will start to realise the brilliance that was Maddie. Just a shame it wasn't sooner.