2013 Post of the Day

Comments

• An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    Monaogg wrote: »
    Easiest way is to Quote the post in the original thread then copy & paste the lot on here. That way you keep the link to the original post too.

Thanks I need to know that too. I might a right:D pigs ear of it
  • yosemitesamyosemitesam Posts: 869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lily_M wrote: »
    From Kaereste on the "Bruce's backhanded compliment" thread, regarding Bruce's comment to Mark that he danced the jive well for a man of his size:

Mark should have responded that Bruce's presentation is not too bad for a senile, tactless old has-been.

:D (btw, how do you quote from one thread to another? I couldn't work it out so copied and pasted instead)

That should be sent to all celebs, dancers and judges ready for next time he comes out with a similar tactless comment.
  • SCD-ObserverSCD-Observer Posts: 18,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From the Mark's Dance thread:
    I would love to see him survive longer. Mark is the personification of what makes this show special. If it was supposed to be about the best dancing they could simply take the cameras to the World Ballroom Championships and broadcast that.

I find Mark inspiring because despite the barriers, age, shape, flexibility etc he is trying and succeeding. His dance contains an distinct element of whimsy (and dance should be a bit playful) but he doesn't depend on the comedic element alone to get votes - like Ann W and so on.

Had we been able to reincarnate the 25 year old Mark Benton I think we would be looking at a real contender.

I think he is inspiring because he shows it is never too late to learn to dance. Whatever the obstacles, age, fitness etc anyone can learn to dance.

I hold the opinion that if you can walk you can dance at least to a competent social level and if you get past the barriers a truly life affirming source of exercise and entertainment is there for the taking.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That should be sent to all celebs, dancers and judges ready for next time he comes out with a similar tactless comment.

Why limit it to Bruce then. Judges also talk about a particular dance being a challenge for a big/tall/fat/older person. It's a fact, pointing out that the dance was very good despite all that is actually a praise IMO, even if it makes PC people gasp.
  • BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As the person who originally started the POD thread, can I give a gentle reminder that the thread is not meant as a place for the discussion of a post. Please try to keep that to the thread the quoted post comes from, otherwise this thread gets too cluttered and the atmosphere changes - thanks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From the Mark's Dance thread:

Bravo!
    As the person who originally started the POD thread, can I give a gentle reminder that the thread is not meant as a place for the discussion of a post. Please try to keep that to the thread the quoted post comes from, otherwise this thread gets too cluttered and the atmosphere changes - thanks.

Hope it's still ok to applaud? :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bravo!

Hope it's still ok to applaud? :o

Absolutely! :D
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Can we say if we do not find a quote funny?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    Can we say if we do not find a quote funny?

I thought you could. Others have responded to Buddy anyway... :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think every post on here is funny, but someone did so I just accept that, but if I felt strongly enough I would. I probably would have posted on the original thread too.

My post was just a reminder of the intention of this thread, but people can post what ever they want to post. :)
  • mimi dlcmimi dlc Posts: 13,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Good point Buddy.
    That's one reason to try to keep a link in the quote back to the original thread- that's the right place to comment.

And thank you again for creating POTD- not everyone can read every thread and it's a great way of catching up on the best of DS
  • RedRoseRebelRedRoseRebel Posts: 1,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From the BBC: Thieves target Strictly stars at Blackpool thread
    Bungitin wrote: »
    Should have taken the judges '10' paddles while they were at it.

Made me :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kevin dances like he is parodying dance.

Spot on observation from chachachavvy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mimi dlc wrote: »
    Good point Buddy.
    That's one reason to try to keep a link in the quote back to the original thread- that's the right place to comment.

And thank you again for creating POTD- not everyone can read every thread and it's a great way of catching up on the best of DS

Thanks mimi - for a minute I thought I was stirring up trouble with my post! :eek: :p
    From the BBC: Thieves target Strictly stars at Blackpool thread

Bungitin wrote: »
    Should have taken the judges '10' paddles while they were at it.

Made me :D

I thought that was brilliant too! :p
  • mimi dlcmimi dlc Posts: 13,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any word yet of what dance Mark has? I'm fully expecting Moira Ross (in a rainbow wig) to say "You've had three Latin on the trot. I suppose it's only fair you have ballroom next. Fine. Quickstep."

Mark will be dressed as a leviathon, Iveta as a shrimp and it will be to the music from Titanic Dayvarched into QS time (approximately).

Seems much more reasonable than an alien Paso for Halloween
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found this post both intriguing and sad.

Isn't a shame that we're all missing out on a more detailed account from such an informed source?

Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls - let's play nicely please!
    *Wysiwyg* wrote: »
    I was just dropping in to give you my report from the front row at Blackpool, then I realised that the same dreadful old bullies are still lashing out at everyone who dares to have an opinion that differs from their own. So, to prevent any unwarranted backlash, I'll leave my comments open to your interpretation.

Two of the celebs are not as good as they appear to think they are;- their footwork, style and technique is poor - the OTT facial expressions are more suited to the stage than the ballroom - bad acting is no substitute for good dancing.

Three celebs are a lot better than I had expected with good footwork etc etc, they just need a big confidence boost to help their performances.

Others are not as good as they should be at this stage of the competition.

Two of the professionals need to remember that they they should be showing off their partners not themselves. Many appear to be auditioning for DWTS.

Sadly I feel that SCD now has more pantomime content than dance and the overall standards of choreography and dance is at an all time low. :(

We've been invited to the final! :eek:
  • wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found this post both intriguing and sad.

Isn't a shame that we're all missing out on a more detailed account from such an informed source?

For "informed" read "subjective".

Not that this warrants any form of attack in itself. They'd be free to post their entire subjective view for all i care, including the names of those they have left un-named. So long as they appreciate that others may challenge their subjectivity, even if they were not in attendance.

And yes, I know that I am not supposed to comment on here. But I don't know where it came from, so can't comment where it appears.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wazzy, press that blue arrow thingie beside the poster's name to go to the original thread. It looks like this: >
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wazzy, press that blue arrow thingie beside the poster's name to go to the original thread. It looks like this: >

At the risk of sounding like Terry - thank you, I didn't know that. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wazzyboy wrote: »
    At the risk of sounding like Terry - thank you, I didn't know that. :D

You must thank mimi for that. She told me! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You must thank mimi for that. She told me! :)

I will. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I thought that was brilliant too! :p

I didn't. I like lots of 10s flying about. 10s make a lot of people happy which is the purpose of living and this thread.

(Sorry for arguing when we have just been told not to - I was commenting on a comment, not a quote.).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One liners seldom make the post of the day, but when it does, it's always quite funny!

I believe that the one-liner response from wazzy was meant to be tongue in cheek and meant no disrespect to Fatima, so below are the conversations quoted from the ITT thread, regarding Susanna and Kevin's interview post Blackpool Paso Week:
    Mrs F wrote: »
    Susanna is stunningly pretty

To which Fatima responded:
    Fatima502 wrote: »
    Oh dear, all I can see is fake tan, bleached teeth and hair dye.

Then came the one-liner:
    wazzyboy wrote: »
    Put the mirror down then :D

:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheers SCDO, yes, I was just joking about Fatima. :D ( though I suspect she was serious about Susannah!)
  • Alli-FAlli-F Posts: 32,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From the spoiler and only the spoiler thread.
    Oooo, a wee bit pompous, no OP? I almost choked on my imaginary cheese straws and avocado dip!

:D:D:D