On line reviews

mrsdaisychainmrsdaisychain Posts: 3,437
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Do you look at on line reviews before you buy products?

I have checked the reviews many times on various items I have bought and find it an excellent way to show the good and the bad.

Many times, I have seen a product I really like but thankfully, I read the reviews which stopped my buying in my tracks.. I'm looking for a new kettle at the moment and I had a particular one in mind but out of five stars, it only got three from six reviews for various reasons. That was on different web sites too.

Saves me buying something which I won't be happy with.

Since I found this service a very valuable insight, I always add a review of products now to help other shoppers.

Comments

• Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends what it is. If it's cheap I'll go with my instincts, but if it's over £200 say, then I'll check the reviews.
  • AnitaSAnitaS Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always check the reviews. It's worth doing, especially with expensive stuff.

I tend not to believe Trip Advisor reviews though, disgruntled holidaymakers complaining about the heat and foreign food, rarely dissuade me from booking.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,888
    Forum Member
    AnitaS wrote: »

I tend not to believe Trip Advisor reviews though, disgruntled holidaymakers complaining about the heat and foreign food, rarely dissuade me from booking.

Tripadvisor reviews can generally be trusted, but don't go on an overall rating, read all the reviews and you will soon figure out who the crazy people are and who the fake reviews are off.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Always, you'd be mad not to, but don't be dissuaded from a product purely on its star rating. I've seen plenty of 1 star reviews for reasons that have nothing to do with the product, e.g. didnt like the courier company, Customer Service was bad etc. Always read the 1 stars to see why they scored it low.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes and I always try to praise or respond negatively hoping to help others make good purchases too, also occasionally when I am reviewing negatively will point out if it's my fault the product is no good for me that it may be fine for others which is something some people seem to forget.
  • AnitaSAnitaS Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tripadvisor reviews can generally be trusted, but don't go on an overall rating, read all the reviews and you will soon figure out who the crazy people are and who the fake reviews are off.
    I know, most reviews are genuine. The ones that make me laugh are the people who complain about the fact no-one spoke English and there was no bacon for breakfast, the sun was too hot and the beach was more than 50 yards away - why don't they go to Skegness instead of Skiathos?
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I waste a huge amount of time reading online reviews of obscure jazz records from the 50s and 60s. Unfortunately they usually fetch ridiculous prices on eBay so I don't actually buy them.
  • FaggyFaggy Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    Always, you'd be mad not to, but don't be dissuaded from a product purely on its star rating. I've seen plenty of 1 star reviews for reasons that have nothing to do with the product, e.g. didnt like the courier company, Customer Service was bad etc. Always read the 1 stars to see why they scored it low.

Totally agree. I've seen quite a few 1 star reviews that have the most odd reasons - some even admit that they've not bought the product but just don't like the look of it or think it's pointless.

There was a period a while back where some people were leaving loads of 1 star reviews on Amazon to complain about the tax avoidance. As if giving a book a 1 star review is really going to make Amazon change its tax strategy.
  • Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will check things out by reading reviews always.
    I last did it for a cooker that I wanted to buy.

http://www.which.co.uk/ can be good to look at.

I read reviews on Tripadvisor for hotels and restaurants a lot.
    I review on there as well nearly always after visiting them.
    I can spot a dodgy review on there now and have reported two in my time which were clearly written as nasty ones to harm the reputation of the restaurant.
  • xblingxbling Posts: 2,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I do. I find them useful. Tend not to take too much notice of film and book ones though as they are subjective. That reminds me I need to put some on a clothing site!
  • mrsdaisychainmrsdaisychain Posts: 3,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AnitaS wrote: »

I will check things out by reading reviews always.
    I last did it for a cooker that I wanted to buy.

http://www.which.co.uk/ can be good to look at.

I read reviews on Tripadvisor for hotels and restaurants a lot.
    I review on there as well nearly always after visiting them.
    I can spot a dodgy review on there now and have reported two in my time which were clearly written as nasty ones to harm the reputation of the restaurant.

I was reading the reviews about a hotel we booked via a tour group. I was more than nervous as the reviews were awful. I wasn't looking forward to the hotel itself. The critics of the food in the restaurant were right as the food was very plain, not at all tasty and repetitive. Our rooms were comfortable and noise free though but not suitable for more than a night stay as there was no wardrobe space at all. If I hadn't really wanted to go on the tour I would never have booked the hotel.
    I always put reviews with detail on hotels and what to look for. It does help a great deal..
  • xblingxbling Posts: 2,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just put some reviews on a site and tried to be as concise as possible. Not easy on a mobile though and had to revert to the desktop site. All done now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was reading the reviews about a hotel we booked via a tour group. I was more than nervous as the reviews were awful. I wasn't looking forward to the hotel itself. The critics of the food in the restaurant were right as the food was very plain, not at all tasty and repetitive. Our rooms were comfortable and noise free though but not suitable for more than a night stay as there was no wardrobe space at all. If I hadn't really wanted to go on the tour I would never have booked the hotel.
    I always put reviews with detail on hotels and what to look for. It does help a great deal..

I quite like reading the booking.com reviews as well, as you know for sure that the person has definely been there.

I tend to type way more than I probably have to when doing Tripadvisor reviews, but I still like doing them.
    I also check what places other reviewers go to see if I can find somewhere that is hidden gem for me.
  • Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tend not to. I am developing a bit of a dislike for amateur reviewers.

I stayed in a B&B for a night in Bournemouth in October before the marathon. I had no interest in the reviews beforehand but when i checked out on Sunday morning, (after a perfectly fine 18 hour stay) the owner who seemed a really friendly guy asked if I would mind reviewing them when i got home - and emailed me the link. They were trying to get their score up.

When I viewed some of the other reviews, they were pathetic. One gave them 1 star and called them and the room horrendous. Another gave them 2 stars and added "Decor needed updating"

Its a ****ing £25 a night B&B where the average stay is two nights. What are you expecting? Is the wallpaper really worth downgrading 3 stars? The room was fine. Had a TV, decent bed, no noise, a kettle, free biscuits and friendly owners. Bathrooms across the hallway but clean and new.

Too many people are amateur critics without an idea of contest.
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolutely, I always do some research before spending my money. I bought a phone on Friday after months of pontificating, reading reviews - professional and user. You can get bogged down trying to make the right decision for yourself, but it's great that reviews are out there to help you make a decision.
  • TheJasperCoTheJasperCo Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    I tend not to. I am developing a bit of a dislike for amateur reviewers.

I stayed in a B&B for a night in Bournemouth in October before the marathon. I had no interest in the reviews beforehand but when i checked out on Sunday morning, (after a perfectly fine 18 hour stay) the owner who seemed a really friendly guy asked if I would mind reviewing them when i got home - and emailed me the link. They were trying to get their score up.

When I viewed some of the other reviews, they were pathetic. One gave them 1 star and called them and the room horrendous. Another gave them 2 stars and added "Decor needed updating"

Its a ****ing £25 a night B&B where the average stay is two nights. What are you expecting? Is the wallpaper really worth downgrading 3 stars? The room was fine. Had a TV, decent bed, no noise, a kettle, free biscuits and friendly owners. Bathrooms across the hallway but clean and new.

Too many people are amateur critics without an idea of contest.

But these are people's opinions. Reviews are often subjective, which is why you need to take them with a pinch of salt. Some people may be more critical of a room without modern furnishings, others may not care if there's no TVs. Thing is, the amateur reviewers are ordinary members of the public like you or I, who share our experiences with other potential customers - nothing wrong with that.

However, people who cynically upgrade or downgrade reviews as a result of bias or ulterior motives, I have no time for.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But these are people's opinions. Reviews are often subjective, which is why you need to take them with a pinch of salt. Some people may be more critical of a room without modern furnishings, others may not care if there's no TVs. Thing is, the amateur reviewers are ordinary members of the public like you or I, who share our experiences with other potential customers - nothing wrong with that.

However, people who cynically upgrade or downgrade reviews as a result of bias or ulterior motives, I have no time for.

It's the context I often have the problem with. Not using the sites, I don't really know but how far down the scale can you review, say food outlets?

Restaraunts, pubs etc fair enough, but are chip shops, burger vans, tea rooms etc able to be reviewed? By those B&B reviews, I could see a takeaway or garden centre cafe with a couple of tables being compared to a restaurant.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have given 5 star reviews on Trip for places that have cost me 10 quid a head and 100 pound a head.
    I take each place as it is and for what it is.

I once got ripped into online for giving a place 5 stars that was 'just' a small homely restaurant with a small menu.
    It was bloody great food, great service, really clean and a very fair price for what you got.
    So 5 stars IMO was warranted.
  • mrsdaisychainmrsdaisychain Posts: 3,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do the trip advisor when I have stayed there good or bad.
    We always look at it from the point of view, if it's clean, has pretty decent food, it's ok.
    I did trip advisor and gave detailed accounts of the hotel, the staff, the area and the many places you could. Visit from that resort. I even mentioned bus fares and what buses.
    I was astounded to receive and e mail and a comment along side my review from the hotel management.
    I did mention a few things that although they didn't spoil my trip, it would be nice if better and the management did say they would look at what I mentioned in a positive way. I can honestly say, we have never had a really bad experience on any holiday as far as the hotel or resort is concerned. I have also e mailed the other reviews via trip to ask them specific questions. All but one replied to me.

I always enjoy reading the reviews on amazon about the books. There are many of my reviews there too.
    It's good to get different opinions from readers.
  • Phaz0rPhaz0r Posts: 907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, although one time I stumbled across condom reviews. I was surprised how many guys thought it was a good product, but just struggled a little to fit the plastic over their 10 inch God-rod. A lot of the time people with over-heated feelings can get over-represented in online reviews, but if you skim through you can usually get a feel for who's a raving loon and who's not.
  • GloriaSnockersGloriaSnockers Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I almost always read them but there's a limit to the amount of notice I take of them, particularly the reviews for digital products like kindle books and certain software. These are often garnered by giving a free copy to a circle of cronies who will typically provide a favourable review in the hope of either getting another freebie the next time round, or of boosting their own profiles by getting their names out there in some circumstances.
  • The FinisherThe Finisher Posts: 10,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I often use reviews when deciding on a product and find them very useful.
    I also like to use Rotten Tomatoes for film reviews as I often agree with the average rating - that was until they gave Gravity over 90% :D.
    It was one of the biggest loads of tosh I've ever seen. Badly acted, sickly sentimental and full of holes. Though parts of it were visually stunning I laughed and cringed my way through most of the script. Sandra Bullock spent the first half hour saying nothing much more than ahh,ahh,ahhhh and George Clooney - well he was his usual smirking cheesey smarmy self.
    Rant over :blush::D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I often use reviews when deciding on a product and find them very useful.
    I also like to use Rotten Tomatoes for film reviews as I often agree with the average rating - that was until they gave Gravity over 90% :D.
    It was one of the biggest loads of tosh I've ever seen. Badly acted, sickly sentimental and full of holes. Though parts of it were visually stunning I laughed and cringed my way through most of the script. Sandra Bullock spent the first half hour saying nothing much more than ahh,ahh,ahhhh and George Clooney - well he was his usual smirking cheesey smarmy self.
    Rant over :blush::D

If I had a choice of 3 films with ratings of 2, 6 and 10 out of 10 say, whilst I'd usually pluck for the 10 first, I'll often be more tempted by the 2/10 film than the 6/10 one.

It's the curiosity of knowing whether something truly is that awful rather than that average, that I find quite compelling!
  • BoselectaBoselecta Posts: 1,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My default setting with anything online is that it is to be treated cautiously and with a pinch of salt. Don't get me wrong... I'm not just anti or contrary to all I read/see - I just assume it may have emanated from an idiot, child, vested interest, saboteur, rival or evil corporation.