Doctor Who Series 7 Episode 13: Nightmare In Silver 11/05/2013 BBC1 7:00PM

Comments

• Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    Oh sorry, I thought you were referring to the "finalé" part.
    I just skimmed over and ignored the word "season" in your post...

'Tis ok. sorry I snapped.
  • garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member
    absolutely LOVED THAT.

only problem is why didn't the rest of the cybermen move like lightning like the one at the beginning?

anyway 10/10

so far this year

The Bells of Saint John 7/10
    The Rings of Akhaten 2/10
    Cold War 7/10
    Hide 8/10
    Journey to the Center of the TARDIS 9/10
    The Crimson Horror 9/10
    Cyberman nightmare silver 10/10
  • F1etchF1etch Posts: 4,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sithlord3k wrote: »
    So did I. This one should have been a two-parter. I've actually felt this about most of 7B.

Yup if they were going to do at least 1 two parter this season?...series? then this should have been the episode to do it with. Would have saved money too considering you would be using the same set for 2 episodes and wouldn't have needed to fly to Spain or America or wherever or even changed set for Victorian to futuristic. Poor overall then if you ask me.
  • Whovian1109Whovian1109 Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd just like to add in on being annoyed at the children, Angie in particular. How can she act like such a spoiled brat when Clara has taken her to another planet in the far off future? :mad: That said, it was a good decision to have them inactive for most of the episode.

Now that that's out of the way, a few more gripes. Starting with Clara. This is as unlikeable IMO as her character has been all season, suddenly turning into a military commander and the way she sounds/acts towards the guest cast (who while we're at it were bloody awful) apart from Porridge is just plain poor. The Cybermen were also a very mixed bag in this episode. The sound, the way they move is very robotic which is good or bad, depending on the way you look at it. Personally, it didn't work for me, nor were their voices (not that they got much screen time or time to talk) as good as I was hoping. Maybe I got my hopes up too much, but never mind. Also, I didn't really like the ending. It was fairly obvious with that many Cybermen they were going to activate the bomb, even without all the foreshadowing, but the way Porridge acted after that point I found just plain irritating.

Now then, Matt Smith. IMO he single handedly carried this episode. His two-sided performance was absolutely fantastic. His interactions with Clara made the latter more likeable and all the hints at romance and then insults (you're too short, too bossy and your nose is a bit...) were a treat. The scene where she's pointing the gun at him and he's running around protecting his face with a chessboard is a gem.

So a lot of negative but I still managed to thoroughly enjoy it thanks to Matt and next week's looks absolutely insane. I voted good.
  • PiippPiipp Posts: 2,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Indeed.

Was just reading something about how the writers didn't like K9 because he was so clever and useful that it was difficult to create situations that he couldn't fix.

Similar sort of thing here.
    Seems like it might become ever-harder to come up with plausible storylines where the Doctor finds a way to defeat them without blowing up a planet every week.

Hmmm, watching a different planet blow up every week could be quite interesting, LOL. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nightmare in silver? How about Nightmare in Series 7b?

It was alright, but not the strong Gaiman ep I was expecting. Also the story per week blockbuster style just does not work when they are also trying to juggle a series arc. It felt like this story was meant to be else where in the run but was chopped and placed in where needed.

Low expectations for next week which means it can only be good.
  • gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I voted 'excellent' coz it's WAY better than a 'good'; even better than a 'very good'.

Perhaps a 'very, very good' button would have made it easier - it was a great episode, but not without its faults.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Piipp wrote: »
    ...they're TOO good. I mean, it's certainly realistic. The Cybermen in this story seem to be more 'Digitalmen' than Cybermen; it's fantastic in one respect and definitely the way I would imagine the race to have evolved over time, but with them able to constantly upgrade themselves how can they ever be beaten in an ordinary Earth-bound story? ...

It was a little too Star Trek Borg for me in the speed they upgraded themselves.

The good thing is that the next time they appear they probably will not have the upgrading possibilities if they are from a different time.
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Indeed.

Was just reading something about how the writers didn't like K9 because he was so clever and useful that it was difficult to create situations that he couldn't fix.

Similar sort of thing here.
    Seems like it might become ever-harder to come up with plausible storylines where the Doctor finds a way to defeat them without blowing up a planet every week.

didn't like K9 :confused::(

I shall watch the programme later.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just remembered something? Wasn't the bomb supposed to implode the planet? The planet exploded...
  • ajjcartajjcart Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Loved this episode - it even made me jump and spill my tea!

My family of 5 (aged between 10 and 50) voted this our best of the series so far.
  • SheMoore19SheMoore19 Posts: 2,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought Matt was just phenomenal in that episode. I've always thought he was brilliant as the Doctor, but he was just so perfect in this, I really can't see how anyone could criticise that performance.

The story was good and had me on the edge of my seat. The cybermites creeped me out.

Wish the kids hadn't been there however, and could the girl be any more annoying?? The cyber argument against the Doctor's emotion would have worked just as well if it had been just Clara he was fighting for.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    I have never heard it called the season finalé :confused:

Have you?

That's why the announcer called it the series finalé just now :rolleyes:

finalé is nicked from the Americans, who nicked it from the French.
  • Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    Am looking forward to the return of the cybermen tonight. But have to say other than the crimson one last week havent liked or enjoyed this seriez and am seriously considering ending a lifelong devotion to the doctor.
    Dave-H wrote: »
    Who needs fair-weather friends anyway?!
    :)
    This kind of hostility towards anyone who dares to share a negative opinion is beyond juvenile imo. It's a discussion forum, deal with it.!
    *Standard passive-aggressive smiley face* :)
    Sorry, I just don't like to hear people say they're thinking of abandoning something just because the going's got tough.
    :)
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SheMoore19 wrote: »
    Thought Matt was just phenomenal in that episode. I've always thought he was brilliant as the Doctor, but he was just so perfect in this, I really can't see how anyone could criticise that performance.

The story was good and had me on the edge of my seat. The cybermites creeped me out.

Wish the kids hadn't been there however, and could the girl be any more annoying?? The cyber argument against the Doctor's emotion would have worked just as well if it had been just Clara he was fighting for.

SheMoore! *pounces* not seen you for ages :D
  • owlycherriesowlycherries Posts: 2,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't think that was very good:(

I could not stand Clara :( I feel really sad about that, because I *wanted* to like her, but she is so confident and bossy and "bouncy" that I really could not care less about her. I'm getting a little irritated by her "prettiness" being commented on every other episode. Being pretty isn't going to make me like her :rolleyes: In fact, it makes me like her even less, because she just reminds me of those popular girls at school who are so confident and pretty and perfect that everyone worships them. :mad:

Phew. Now that's off my chest! I thought Matt Smith and Warwick Davis were the saviours of this episode! The scene in the Doctor's mind was very good - and Allons-y!:D Great:D

I didn't really like the cybermen, am I the only one who thinks they were just fine as they were in RTD's era?:o Why do they need all these upgrades?

The kids were SO annoying. The boy wasn't that bad (whether that was due to the acting or just a more likeable character, I don't know) but Angie was intolerable. Please, go away.
    So 3008 wrote: »
    Angie's "Put me down! I hate you!" to the Cyberman is quite possibly the most stupid line in Doctor Who ever.
    Bahahaha, agreed, that was really just the most stupid line.

An "Average" from me. I thought it would be better.
    enjoyed tonights episode, loved the cybermen but would have been nice to see more of them.

what did people think of the red button prequel?
    Thought it was quite interesting! Bring on the finale:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    My first excellent of the series - by no means my favourite episode ever but Matt's acting was exquisite
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 260
    Forum Member
    Unsure on that episode, Matt was bloody brilliant, but the rest of it just felt kinda.. flat.

Also, for all the people that moan about the lovey dovey-ness of 10/Rose in S2, 11 and Clara are just as bad!
  • AirboraeAirborae Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent episode and outstanding performance by Matt Smith. Definitely 10 out of 10 from me!
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Oooh... Just thought of something...

There was a close up of the Cybermites crawling over one of the kid's (?) phones.

Wonder what the significance of that was?

I did see the Doctor giving somebody a new white phone at the end but if the red phone got blown up with the planet, what was the significance of showing the Cybermites crawling over it?
  • The Alpha GamerThe Alpha Gamer Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't mind it this week but could have done without pretty much everyone but The Doctor. I'd have enjoyed it much more if the whole ep was just him playing chess with himself.

and I'm not even being sarcastic.
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    crowby1 wrote: »
    I'm off to watch Earthshock on DVD, see you next week :D

Those were the days!

Absolute rubbish this evening. Voted Poor for the first time in 8 years. I really think the shows in serious trouble.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    I liked it a lot but Gaiman's previous one was better.

Cybermen were interesting as was the Cyberplanner and Cybermats.

Clara had some good moments leading the team.

Saw Porridge being the Emperor a mile off.

Great mind games stuff with the Doctor and Cyberplanner.

Artie and Angie worked better than expected, though the latter was a little annoying at times, 9/10
  • Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found the first half of this episode really really dull. Not as good as last week, I got quite bored midway through too.
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    I loved the old funfair style planet for the story's setting. Also,
    did anyone think the Chess-Player Cyberman at the start
    was inspired by the real-life "Mechanical Turk" ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Turk