Eastenders spoilt with sound quality

mrsdaisychainmrsdaisychain Posts: 3,437
Forum Member
✭✭✭
l can't watch Eastenders any more because of the mumbling of the actors and the awful sound quality.

There are quite a few of them who are so bad I just can't hear what they are saying. Max, Joey, Lauren, Jack are the worst ones I struggle with. Lucy and Tamwar are also guilty and it just spoils the viewing for me when you can't hear or understand what is being said.

I have Virgin Media so I can rewind to listen again but you shouldn't have to do that. Is anyone else finding it difficult to hear?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HD telly has ruined it for me, I swear Ian's gut was in my front room last week.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's been like that for some while now but don't worry you're not missing anything. I've virtually stopped watching it now and if by chance it is on it's seems to be interminable.
  • mrsdaisychainmrsdaisychain Posts: 3,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HD telly has ruined it for me, I swear Ian's gut was in my front room last week.

:) ha, ha, i'll have to watch again UQ just to see that:D
  • lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

:D:D HD is bloody scary at times! :eek: Makes me laugh when you think of the old skinny, puny kid Ian of years ago!

I agree with the OP though. EE is the only soap I need the subtitles on for.
  • PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    I didnt understand a word in the scene in the R+R with Karl and the " heavies " .All I heard was noise and Phils threatening face and mumbling from Joey and Max .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didnt understand a word in the scene in the R+R with Karl and the " heavies " .All I heard was noise and Phils threatening face and mumbling from Joey and Max .

classic example, same here;)
  • lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I had no trouble understanding Carl and Phil in that scene but Max and Joey were another matter altogether!!! Someone really needs to tell these two to ENUNCIATE! I thought that Carl and Phil were by far the better actors too but maybe my opinion is swayed by the fact that I could actually understand them!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lotty27 wrote: »
    :D:D HD is bloody scary at times! :eek: Makes me laugh when you think of the old skinny, puny kid Ian of years ago!

I agree with the OP though. EE is the only soap I need the subtitles on for.

Lol :D, actors must absolutely hate HD, it's so unforgiving, even their wrinkles have wrinkles ....... and that's just the teens! :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joey and Max are the worst but the others you've listed are pretty bad too.

Cameron on Emmerdale is another example.
  • NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it was only last month that the mumbling actor problem was brought to Tony Hall's (Head of BBC) attention. It's not just EE but original drama like the adaptation of Sebastian Flauks' Birdsong that many viewers had a problem understanding. I don't know if any of these actors actually do voice/vocal training. They forget that their voice is a character in and of itself. No point trying to play a cockney-mockney if no-one can understand or make sense of what you are saying (*not looking at you, Joey Branning and Dexter Branning-wannabe*)

The problem isn't just a UK problem; I think US actors are prone to the mumbling disease as well.
  • BertypopBertypop Posts: 4,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What really frustrates me is that David Witts has a very clear and crisp speaking voice. He's deliberately mumbling. I've had no idea what Joey or Max have said for years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bertypop wrote: »
    What really frustrates me is that David Witts has a very clear and crisp speaking voice. He's deliberately mumbling. I've had no idea what Joey or Max have said for years.

I always thought it was part of a plot to reveal that he was actually Max's son but I'm past caring now.
  • Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have they started recording audio in surround sound now or something? that might explain the switch in volume. They could also do with a high and low pass filter, some scenes (often anything with a car pulling off) and my sub woofer rumbles like a nuclear bomb is approaching haha.
  • BertypopBertypop Posts: 4,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always thought it was part of a plot to reveal that he was actually Max's son but I'm past caring now.

Looks like Jack and sounds like Max - and they want us to believe Derek's the father... yeah right!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bertypop wrote: »
    Looks like Jack and sounds like Max - and they want us to believe Derek's the father... yeah right!

So he's the evil spawn of an incestuous relationship between his uncles?:eek: No worse than any other Enders storyline really.:D
  • los.kavlos.kav Posts: 8,053
    Forum Member

I had the same conversation last week, but about David's face in Corrie. HD isn't kind to soap actors.
  • secretagentsecretagent Posts: 1,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the comedy sound effect of Kirsty slapping Max in last nights Eastenders.
  • Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched it last night and I agree about the sound. I've given up trying to understand what Joey and Max are mumbling about because I don't care. Carl and Phil carried the scene anyway as they're leaps and bounds above the other 2 when it comes to acting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched it last night and I agree about the sound. I've given up trying to understand what Joey and Max are mumbling about because I don't care. Carl and Phil carried the scene anyway as they're leaps and bounds above the other 2 when it comes to acting.

agree there about Phil and Carl. The others need some more training I think
  • ayrshire lassayrshire lass Posts: 4,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's wrong with using subtitles if you really can't understand what they are saying? You don't have to be deaf to use them:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's wrong with using subtitles if you really can't understand what they are saying? You don't have to be deaf to use them:confused:

Why should I? I now it could be easily done but hey, I think it's about time something was done about these so called actors who mumble their way through the scripts.
  • Doctor BenchDoctor Bench Posts: 4,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor sound quality is the least of EastEnders' quality concerns, believe me.
  • SunnydaysSunnydays Posts: 12,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's all the knives and forks clacking away in the Cafe that gets to me........really loud........there must be at least 10 in there all eating and putting down cutlery at the same time.....

.......but when they pan out, it is usually one person eating and the others drinking coffee.......
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotty27 wrote: »
    I had no trouble understanding Carl and Phil in that scene but Max and Joey were another matter altogether!!! Someone really needs to tell these two to ENUNCIATE! I thought that Carl and Phil were by far the better actors too but maybe my opinion is swayed by the fact that I could actually understand them!

Max has his moments. One minute he seems to be speaking clearly, the next he's mumbling something and all I can pick up is the word "babe"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I watch everything with subtitles, I'm not deaf but it helps me concentrate as I'm a bit of a dreamer.

If I don't have subtitles on, I drift off & haven't a clue what just happened.
    It's also really handy when the missus is bending my ear about the price of coal or whatever it is she bangs on about.

Mind you, it drives everybody else nuts.