Using Cutlery In The "Proper" Way

Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
Forum Member
✭✭✭
i.e fork in left hand, knife in right.

I tell my kids to use their cutlery this way, but my OH is forever contradicting me saying it doesn't matter. Now in a practical sense she's probably right, but I think it's just a standard that our society on the whole follows, and wouldn't like them being looked down on in later life for getting it "wrong" (the same as speaking properly, maintaining a clean and tidy appearance etc...)

Was just wondering what others think? Does it matter, or should I give up and let them do as they please? Personally if I see someone doing it the reverse way I can't help but feel, even if only momentarily, they're a bit simple. I don't subscribe to the idea it depends on whether you're left or right handed either, as a lot of people do. I'm left handed and do it the proper way! :D

You may now commence the pantomime outrage at me daring to think less of someone for something so petty ;)

Does it matter which way you use cutlery? 201 votes

It matters
48% 97 votes
It does not matter
51% 104 votes

Comments

• SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is no proper way to use cutlery, you use it in whatever hand you are most comfortable with and you should allow your kids to do the same. I have gone my entire life using the fork in the right and knife in the left and not once have I been looked down upon, it's a compete non-issue to the majority of people.

The fact that you think people who do it that way are simple says more about you than anything. In fact I would imagine people look down on you and you just don't realise it.
  • Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ha, that didn't take long!
  • SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, you did ask for it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    I find the image of someone sitting in public carefully watching how strangers use their cutlery and judging them accordingly, rather amusing to say the least.

To answer the question: no, I couldn't care less. I don't use cutlery the 'correct' way simply because it doesn't feel comfortable and I struggle. It doesn't make sense for me to take twice as long eating my food just to adhere to some ridiculous standard that really makes no sense to me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How did I suddenly become some creepy peeping tom? :confused::D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I had kids I'd teach them the proper way, i.e. fork in left hand, but as for other people doing it the other way around I can't say it would be a reason for me to judge them.
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always use my fork in my right hand. I could use it in my left if I wanted to, but I just don't find it feels natural, uncomfortable, even. I remember in primary school being forced to eat with my fork in my left hand... was awful :-/
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Live and let live I say. There are cultures out there that don't even use cutlery as we understand it - so are you saying that all of them have bad manners?
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,987
    Forum Member
    I can't do it the "proper" way, it feels unnatural. I do have to say, I've never really noticed or even cared about which hand people hold a fork in lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Live and let live I say. There are cultures out there that don't even use cutlery as we understand it - so are you saying that all of them have bad manners?
    Nah, I'm only talking about our societal standard. I read a bit about it and apparently there's an "American way" where they have fork in left, knife in right, cut the food then put the knife down and switch the fork to the right! Seems a bit fiddly and excessive to me.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I usually use the 'proper' way, but I don't care about how the others handle theirs.

As a visitor, I follow the majority in any household. A few weeks ago, a family used forks and spoons. A couple of months ago, another family used forks only (their meats were already cut into pieces). Anything goes, really.

I do avoid the traditional American way, though. Cutting a piece of meat under a fork with a knife in the left hand. Then eat with the fork in the right hand and the knife resting on the plate or loosely in the left hand. This makes no sense to me.
  • PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My kids can hold their cutlery whichever way round they want as long as it's comfortable for them... I like to keep mealtimes relaxed and happy, I don't want to turn it into a battle over something petty like which hand to hold a fork in.
  • sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im left handed and like many left handers hold my knife in the "wrong" ;) hand. The serrated bit is on the wrong side for many of us lefties, and so makes it very hard to cut meat etc.
    I can eat with them in the other hand but cant cut without sending my food over the table. I expect that is far more embarrassing then eating with them the "wrong" way round.
  • BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I'm eating out somewhere fancy-ish, I tend to do it the 'proper' way with the fork in my left hand. It feels awkward but I feel self-conscious if I don't at least give it a go. At home I eat with the fork in my right as it's more natural for me.
  • jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    I use the fork in my left hand, my knife in my right. My kids say I'm weird though and do it the other way, even though I taught them to do it my way.!
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    If I'm using a knife and fork then it's fork in left and knife in right, but if I'm just using a fork then it's in my right hand.
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tony Tiger wrote: »
    Nah, I'm only talking about our societal standard. I read a bit about it and apparently there's an "American way" where they have fork in left, knife in right, cut the food then put the knife down and switch the fork to the right! Seems a bit fiddly and excessive to me.

I think you start getting into trouble when you talk about 'our' standards. Who exactly does that include? My parents never told me what hand to have my cutlery in, so as far as i'm concerned it's not my standard.

So to answer your question - there is no such thing as 'the proper' way so it's irrelevant.
  • coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    Tony Tiger wrote: »
    i.e fork in left hand, knife in right.

I tell my kids to use their cutlery this way, but my OH is forever contradicting me saying it doesn't matter. Now in a practical sense she's probably right, but I think it's just a standard that our society on the whole follows, and wouldn't like them being looked down on in later life for getting it "wrong" (the same as speaking properly, maintaining a clean and tidy appearance etc...)

Was just wondering what others think? Does it matter, or should I give up and let them do as they please? Personally if I see someone doing it the reverse way I can't help but feel, even if only momentarily, they're a bit simple. I don't subscribe to the idea it depends on whether you're left or right handed either, as a lot of people do. I'm left handed and do it the proper way! :D

You may now commence the pantomime outrage at me daring to think less of someone for something so petty ;)

The vast majority of people won't even notice. Of those who do notice, the vast majority won't care. The few who do notice and care enough to actually "look down" on them will be petty, narrow-minded, nit-picking, judgemental idiots who probably go out of their way to find some trivial reason to "look down" on everyone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you start getting into trouble when you talk about 'our' standards. Who exactly does that include? My parents never told me what hand to have my cutlery in, so as far as i'm concerned it's not my standard.

So to answer your question - there is no such thing as 'the proper' way so it's irrelevant.
    As was pointed out already, many knives are serrated only on the one side. There is clearly a standard, whether you follow it or not.
  • thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I try and eat with my fork in my right hand, my food usually ends up all over the table and if they're unlucky, my dining companions, and once even as far as the next table (I'm almost proud of that one).

That gets you far more funny looks than simply swapping cutlery to where you're comfortable and in control. My OH and I both prefer the fork in the right hand, and we both just swap our cutlery around at the beginning of a meal.

As I said in the previous thread, being self conscious of being looked down on and needing the shiniest shoes, straightest tie and using cutlery in the 'right' hand really only emphasises the gap between yourself and people of higher wealth/class/power. A truy confident and self assured person has no problem tweaking societal norms to their own comfort in whatever situation they find themselves in.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The vast majority of people won't even notice. Of those who do notice, the vast majority won't care. The few who do notice and care enough to actually "look down" on them will be petty, narrow-minded, nit-picking, judgemental idiots who probably go out of their way to find some trivial reason to "look down" on everyone.

I agree.

I'm annoyed when I overhear friends or whoever make fun of their friend for using a fork or spoon to eat an East Asian rice meal. No one needs to use chopsticks in a country like Britain because most eateries use non-sticky rice, which can make chopsticks difficult to use. It's still OK to use a fork or spoon when the rice is sticky. **** what the others might think or say.
  • malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,639
    Forum Member
    I'm left handed, therefore the knife goes in my "stronger" hand - the left.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    malpasc wrote: »
    I'm left handed, therefore the knife goes in my "stronger" hand - the left.

I'm left handed, but I eat knife and fork normally. Fork in left hand. However I have soup spoon and dessert spoon in left hand as well.

I am not bothered about the hand that a diner uses. What I don't like to see is a clumsy "monkey grip" that some people have. They are the ones who haven't been taught properly.

A lot of people hold pens in a similar uncomfortable way.
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Spot on. What a daft thread. He might as well come out with it and say left handed people must be disabled. Weird :confused::o
  • malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,639
    Forum Member
    I'm left handed, but I eat knife and fork normally. Fork in left hand. However I have soup spoon and dessert spoon in left hand as well.

I am not bothered about the hand that a diner uses. What I don't like to see is a clumsy "monkey grip" that some people have. They are the ones who haven't been taught properly.

A lot of people hold pens in a similar uncomfortable way.

When I was younger I did try swapping cutlery round the other way but could never get used to it. Oddly enough though, I do hold spoons in my right hand!

Writing, computer mouse etc, all on the left.