Paul Gascoigne in hospital as he faces being made homeless after another booze binge

JasonJason Posts: 76,557
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Ex-England ace Paul Gascoigne was being treated in hospital today as he faces being made homeless following another drinking binge.

Paramedics and cops were called after the football legend was seen slumped outside his flat clutching a bottle of vodka.

He was in the process of being evicted by his landlord from the property where neighbours had recently complained of the noise.

As he was taken away from his £3million rented penthouse apartment in the exclusive Sandbanks area of Poole, Dorset, Gazza phoned a friend to say: “I am in trouble, please can you come and help me.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/paul-gascoigne-hospital-faces-being-4086608

I'm all for helping people try to overcome addictions as much as possible, but when you go this far down the road with someone who seemingly keeps disregarding that help, then is there a case to be made for some kind of facility where they can be admitted to, made comfortable and safe and basically allowed to drink as much as they want until the inevitable happens ?

And I pose this as a question, not make it as a statement .. just for clarity ..

Comments

• Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm finding it hard to be sympathetic....
  • Logan FiveLogan Five Posts: 627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    think this is going to be the way it is for Gazza, for his remaining days (however long that may be) He is a tortured soul and not a man to make fun of,
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Just read in another thread that he's signed to play for a Sunday league team
  • GAZ237GAZ237 Posts: 863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where on earth does the money come from to pay the rent on a £3 million penthouse?
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    It's in the link - Abbey Windows FC.
    Quality reporting from the Mirror:
    "On Tuesday morning Paul was seen in a WHSmith near his plush home, which has a balcony overlooking the ocean."
    A WHSmith with a sea view balcony!
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gascoigne looks completely different from the Gascoigne I remember. Or did I misunderstand? Was his father a famous footballer as well?

Edited:
    Dear god, it is him. Years of alcoholism haven't been kind to him. I'm sorry for him and his family.
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    Gascoigne looks completely different from the Gascoigne I remember. Or did I misunderstand? Was his father a famous footballer as well?
    The same way George Best and Hurricane Higgins became shells of their former selves.
  • RuinedGirlRuinedGirl Posts: 918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, bless him. Addiction is a terrible illness, not just for the addict, but for everyone around who cares about them. I really hope he gets better, but unfortunately it looks as though this is only going to end up one way. What a miserable existence :(
  • shaddlershaddler Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feel sorry for Gascoigne. He's driven by an addiction he can't control. He looks awful in those photos, absolutely awful.
  • Mrs BBVMrs BBV Posts: 3,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dear God he looks by far the worst I've ever seen him. He's skin and bone. This is not going to have a happy ending and by the look of it it's going to be sooner rather than later.

Poor, poor sod. :(
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jesus Christ he looks awful. I would never in a million years have known that was him. Bloody tragic.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    True, there is a sad inevitability about this. It's sad, too, that Gazza has had people in his life who genuinely do seem to care for him, rather than just hanging from the tails of his success. All the same, he has had his share of hangers-on and enablers too. To an addict, the latter are probably the more 'attractive' crowd to hang out with because they tell him what he wants to hear. They're the same ones who will issue platitudes when he falls down but don't really do anything constructive to try and help him. The ones who genuinely love him will be exhausted from picking up the mess every time he goes on a bender. He seems beyond the point of helping himself in any meaningful way and really is in the hands of the fates, now. He certainly wouldn't be offered a second-chance transplant or anything, in his present state.
  • geosgeos Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who gives a crap anymore. He is just a washed up alcoholic who has had far far too many chances at help just because he kicked a ball about a big plot of grass.

Let him die, its the kindest thing to do.
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He was a brilliant footballer, but without that he had nothing else.

It's a matter of time before the final tragic story of his life is reported.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »

Here is the report.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28876767
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I doubt he'll be making that debut
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »

Edited:
    Dear god, it is him. Years of alcoholism haven't been kind to him. I'm sorry for him and his family.

No, he's only 47, but could easily pass for a guy of over 60.
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The tragedy of addiction.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    I don't suppose anyone would chose to end up in this state. I can only think that there is something missing in his life for him to fill it with alcohol.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    addiction and bipolar is never a great mix, i hope he gets better.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jeeesh, he's looking rough!

47? He's in a bad, bad way. I don't hold out much hope for him, he's never really beaten it for any length of time has he?

It seems only yesterday he was a young, fresh faced lad with everything going for him. That's really sad :(
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow he looks absolutely terrible, but then he's looked awful many times before and come back from it - albeit temporarily. It's very sad to see him looking this way.
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    That's two "Gaza homeless after getting tanked" headlines in one week.
  • Paul1511Paul1511 Posts: 11,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    geos wrote: »
    Who gives a crap anymore. He is just a washed up alcoholic who has had far far too many chances at help just because he kicked a ball about a big plot of grass.

Let him die, its the kindest thing to do.

A bit harsh, don't you think?
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Saddened but not surprised.