spookyLX wrote: »
    Noooooooooooo mushy veggies are so wrong :(

It's only wrong if you don't like them, like that :D
    Think of older people, with less time & teeth to chew :D:D
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most of my meals have boiled potatoes or rice, and the vegetables usually go in the same saucepan. Saves water. Otherwise they usually get microwaved. I've never seen the need for steaming, and roasting is a bit beyond me.
  • Options
    RedRose9191RedRose9191 Posts: 748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depends on the vegetable and what I'm cooking them for.

If they're for a side dish for a meal then I steam them or roast them, depending on the veg. Broccoli, cauliflower, carrots and peas get steamed but things like peppers, aubergines and tomatoes get roasted.

If they're actually part of the meal, e.g in a curry or bolognese then they get boiled in with the meal.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It depends on the veg. Spuds get boiled. Other veg it depends on what meal we are having. I got a wee steamer set from Asda years ago and it's brilliant. It was less than a tenner. An example of it's use is Sunday Dinner - carrots in the base pan with salted water , then after a while I pop the cauliflower in the second layer on and after a time on goes the green beans or broccoli. I couldn't tell you the exact times I use as it's just something I do now - instinct??? All parts of the steamer are normally jam packed with veg - too well packed I think but all the veg gets scoffed. As every parent knows veg intake may need to be induced using everything you have. You lie - I told The Slavettes that the veg from the steamer was special as it didn't need water - they ate carrots anyway so they weren't special.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another thing - #1 Slavette swears by the all in a bag frozen mixed veg you zap in the microwave. Her Man would only eat spuds if they were happy faces or micro chips when they first got together. He now will eat carrot, green beans, all manner of salad stuff and everything you get in those frozen -zap-in the micro bag veg.

I'm scared of the microwave so I can't comment on how to cook veg in one.
  • Options
    diablodiablo Posts: 8,300
    Forum Member
    Those microwave bags of veg are much too hard textured for my liking. Maybe fashionable but not to my taste at all.

I made the mistake of buying some Moroccan Brussels sprouts a few days ago. My usual 10 minute boil left them like little pebbles in texture, needed 2 fuggin hours to make them edible and digestible - i.e. able to split them in half with a fork but without them squishing at all. :)