How do I get cheese to melt and go runny ?

Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've got some ham and I want to make some pasta and melt cheese over it .

I have some mature cheddar , I've tried grating it and sprinkling it over the pasta then putting it under the grill , but it doesn't melt the way I want .

I suppose I want it more runny or liquidy ? A cheese sauce I guess , but how do I make that ?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Drain the pasta
    Return to pan on lowest heat
    Add knob of butter
    Coat pasta
    Whisk up an egg (or two) with some milk, salt and pepper
    Add to pan
    Coat pasta
    Do not cook / scramble the egg
    Add cheese bit by bit stirring continuously until melted
    Add more milk as you go to get the consistency you want
    Do not increase heat to speed up process.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here's a recipe for cheese sauce - it can be tricky to get right though, you need to be careful stirring in the milk and keep stirring else it gets lumpy.
  • TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    Make a basic bechamel and add cheese. Funnily enough I find a little bit of English mustard really enhances the flavour of cheese in a suace and adds good colour also.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thanks guys
  • dollylovesshoesdollylovesshoes Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A good melting cheese as well,I find just ordinary cheddar can be a bit oily, double Gloucester or emmenthal,gruyere is ideal.
  • Miss C. DeVilleMiss C. DeVille Posts: 6,042
    Forum Member
    When I make cheese sauce I always like to add a bit of grated nutmeg, I find it enhances the taste.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    There was a programme on the food network that showed them steaming cheese to make it runny.

They put some water onto the frying pan, which was hot so produced steam, and then they covered the cheese and burger with a metal lid.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Not sure if it was the same programme as I watch a lot of them and there are many cheese burgers being shown made but one place definately said that they had cheese specially made.

It was American cheese but not fully processed slices. It had an added ingredient to make it soft and gooey for their burgers.

I agree with the post above to try out some different cheese such as gruyere
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Not sure if it was the same programme as I watch a lot of them and there are many cheese burgers being shown made but one place definately said that they had cheese specially made.

It was American cheese but not fully processed slices. It had an added ingredient to make it soft and gooey for their burgers.

Monterey Jack is a great melter.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

It was Diners, Drive-ins and Dives and was either blue cheese or Monterey Jack.
  • mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member

One possibility is Cheez Whiz. It's been processed within an inch of its life to make it soft at room temperature. It's commonly found on philly cheesesteaks and ballpark nachos.

The other possibility is Velveeta which is firmer, but melts extremely easily, and is often used on burgers or in mac & cheese.

Neither of these are legally "cheese" however tasty they may be.

If you want a real cheese that melts easily:

Mozzarella, Pepper Jack, Gouda, Muenster.

Use a double boiler otherwise they'll burn.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    i just made a cheese sauce the usual way and added just a dip of cream cheese in it..yummy taste :p
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    mrkite77 wrote: »
    One possibility is Cheez Whiz. It's been processed within an inch of its life to make it soft at room temperature. It's commonly found on philly cheesesteaks and ballpark nachos.

The other possibility is Velveeta which is firmer, but melts extremely easily, and is often used on burgers or in mac & cheese.

Neither of these are legally "cheese" however tasty they may be.

If you want a real cheese that melts easily:

Mozzarella, Pepper Jack, Gouda, Muenster.

Use a double boiler otherwise they'll burn.
    No it wasn't a processed cheese that they used. It was like cheddar slices but they 'claimed' that the company they used added a special ingredient to help it melt.

Unfortunately i've seen many cheese burgers being made on these shows so can't remember the restaurant name.
  • Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,043
    Forum Member
    I don't know why, but there is something about orange cheese that makes it melt better. Red Leicester is a good melty cheese, but when I'm up in Scotland, the cheddar sold there is always orange, rather than white (regardless of brand) and melts far better
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you want to cheat, just melt the cheese in some gently heated double cream to the consistency required, season, a blob of English mustard, then pour over the pasta. Done!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got some ham and I want to make some pasta and melt cheese over it .

I have some mature cheddar , I've tried grating it and sprinkling it over the pasta then putting it under the grill , but it doesn't melt the way I want .

I suppose I want it more runny or liquidy ? A cheese sauce I guess , but how do I make that ?

No, no no. The easy way to do this is to sprinkle the cheese over the pasta then zap it in the microwave for 20-30 seconds...bingo!
  • PhoenixRisesPhoenixRises Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The gooiest cheese on a cheese burger that I have seen was on a show (think it was Man v Food) and they were showing steam burgers they looked good.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it was American cheese it was probably made out of lard and maple syrup, with added lard.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 144
    Forum Member
    Philadelphia cheese or a cheese spread is good to add to pasta, keep on a low heat tho as stirring through and you need to use quite a lot aswell - i'd say half a tub for 2 people? That;s just to coat it, if you want more of a sauce add a little milk (even cream if you like it rich!) gradually whilst stirring to desired consistency
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 144
    Forum Member
    Also the more mature the cheese, the better it melts in my opinion...... if you want gooey and not stringy that is
  • norbitonitenorbitonite Posts: 8,677
    Forum Member
    Monterey Jack is a great melter.

It's just a shame it doesn't taste of anything :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »
    If it was American cheese it was probably made out of lard and maple syrup, with added lard.

:eek: Monterey jack is this made of the same.