Options

Very Popular Movies That You Don't Like?

Comments

• Options
    balthasarbalthasar Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I not a fan of superhero films, they seem to be big thing right now.
  • Options
    Cg_EvansCg_Evans Posts: 2,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Internship, recent film about two salesmen going to work for google, its one of the direst things I have seen, couldnt watch past 15 minutes of it, terrible acting, terrible story, not funny at all
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    AWT42 wrote: »
    If you like or don't like a film then you're free to have your opinion but that's not a reason to jump to conclusions about the lives of people you don't know anything about.

I think it is odd that we see adults watching films targeted at children. Perhaps it's indicative of a wider infantilisation of popular culture that many have commented on. Seems a valid observation to me.
  • Options
    MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    ET
    The sound of music
    Dirty Dancing
    Rambo
    Final Destination (how many there is now)

My daughter doesn't like Star Wars (any of them)
  • Options
    shirlt9shirlt9 Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    Life of Pi

even watched it twice to make sure I didnt miss something amazing the first time..I didnt
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    I think it is odd that we see adults watching films targeted at children. Perhaps it's indicative of a wider infantilisation of popular culture that many have commented on. Seems a valid observation to me.
    Indeed it is.

Any adult moaning that they haven't liked a film aimed squarely at children perhaps needs a quiet word with themselves.
  • Options
    silversoxsilversox Posts: 5,204
    Forum Member

Exactly. Just consider all the 'games' which adults play on their PC's, xboxes etc. all of which are pure fantasy and usually very violent, then it seems that they never really grew up. Mostly male, I assume. :(
  • Options
    x_Toots_xx_Toots_x Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    Another vote for American Hustle. Absolute rubbish. We kept expecting it to get better but it never did.
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    silversox wrote: »
    Exactly. Just consider all the 'games' which adults play on their PC's, xboxes etc. all of which are pure fantasy and usually very violent, then it seems that they never really grew up. Mostly male, I assume. :(

Mmm, not the sure the games analogy works. After all, games can be targeted at either children or adults in the same way that many films are. Chess is undoubtedly more for adults than Snakes and Ladders. GTAV is unquestionably an adult game and its 18 rating indicates this.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Lego Movie was wasted on children IMO.
  • Options
    JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am not a 'Looney' thank you very much, neither am I a knee jerk liberal (before you suggest that too). Stephen King DOES use male homosexuality to bolster, or generate, a lot of fear and horror in his books, as anyone who's read his novels will tell you.
    Now, whether this is actual homophobia on his part, or merely a reflection of societies fears, is open to debate, but it IS there.
    In IT the young Patrick Hocksetter is a sociopath who comes on to his bully friends and 'relieves' them this, arguably, is written as a perverse symptom of his condition.

In The Shining, the the gay couple ghosts are depicted as very sinister, and the submissive lover who wears the dog-suit, makes sexual suggestions to the kid Danny.
    This too, SEEMS to be arguing that their sexuality is perverse, and more, dangerous, and adds to the horror.
    There are also examples in Salems Lot The Stand, and many others. Now, you can accuse me of being a 'Looney' but I'm sorry, the proof is in the text, open to interpretation of course, but still there. There have been many articles written about it, and so I'm far from being in a minority who thinks this.:)

I think you confuse what happens in his books and the author. Certainly there are people killed in books but that does not mean that the author, e.g. Agatha Christie, is a murderer.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Johnbee wrote: »
    I think you confuse what happens in his books and the author. Certainly there are people killed in books but that does not mean that the author, e.g. Agatha Christie, is a murderer.

As has already been pointed out Stephen King has publicly contributed to gay rights charities and the passage in The Shawshank Redemption is not homophobic, as it clearly suggests (at least some of) the sexual assaults are being carried out by straight men.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    x_Toots_x wrote: »
    Another vote for American Hustle. Absolute rubbish. We kept expecting it to get better but it never did.

^^ I wouldn't say it is rubbish, but I agree that it is massively overrated. Was very disappointed by this movie, how it won all those awards I'll never know. :confused:
    balthasar wrote: »
    I not a fan of superhero films, they seem to be big thing right now.

^^ THIS!! Big time! Aside from the camp Adam West Batman and Spiderman 2 (the first one) I can't stand superhero movies. The box office is saturated with them year on year and its just boring - same types of plot, stupid fantasy powers/abilities and the hero wins out in the end. The hero's are boring most of the time too - I prefer the villains usually. There seriously needs to be some writers and directors who can come up with something original for a change - these superhero films are a tired genre.

Popular films I don't like include:
    - Nolan's Batman Trilogy - Best thing about it is the actors playing the villains: Liam Neeson, Heath Ledger and Tom Hardy.
    - Inception - Sorry but he can't top Memento.
    - Terminator 2: Judgement Day - Looks good but is VERY average story-wise. First is miles better, even with the crappier effects.
    - Avatar - I LOVE The Terminator, but aside from that I think James Cameron is one of the most overrated directors and writers in movie history.
    - Harry Potter films - Just don't get the love at all. :confused:
    - Lord of the Rings: Return of the King - First one is easily the best (and scariest) closely followed by the second. This last one is bloated and mushy and how many non-endings can you have in a film...?!?!
    - Aliens - Sorry James Cameron fanboys and girls, but the original was better in terms of scare factor, story, direction, writing etc
    - Titanic - Can take it or leave it. Does noting for me either way
    - The Godfather - Not bad, but massively overrated imo
    - Pulp Fiction - Reservoir Dogs is his best film imo and Inglorious Basterds and Django are better than Pulp Fiction imo
    - Hot Fuzz - Funny, but doesn't have a hairy ball in the same court as the brilliance that is Shaun of The Dead. I even think The World's End is better than Hot Fuzz. Hot Fuzz is slow going and that last half hour is so dragged out with unnecessary bits tagged on.

There's probably more....
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In defence of RotK he did go right to the end of the book.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    - Aliens - Sorry James Cameron fanboys and girls, but the original was better in terms of scare factor, story, direction, writing etc

- Hot Fuzz - Funny, but doesn't have a hairy ball in the same court as the brilliance that is Shaun of The Dead. I even think The World's End is better than Hot Fuzz. Hot Fuzz is slow going and that last half hour is so dragged out with unnecessary bits tagged on.

There's probably more....

Just plain wrong about Aliens, that's the only word for it.

And I personally think Shaun of the Dead is overrated, Hot Fuzz is easily the funnier film, and Mark Kermode goes on about how Shaun of the Dead manages to be both funny and touching, often using the line "I can't kill both my mum and my best friend on the same day" for support, I'm sorry but in what world is that line funny?
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Taken.

People have been raving about it for years but I watched it recently and it was useless. It's as if they took every action film cliche in the book and stitched them together end to end to make a film. They could have just added some jokes, a few pratfalls and a big song and dance sequence in the middle to make it into a Mel Brooks-style spoof.

Agreed. I'd go as far as to say it's Liam Neeson that's overrated.
    Then again the European characters were mainly just lackeys to the real baddies...the ones from the Middle East!

Also the denouement is pretty much the worst in the history of film. I'm all for suspending my disbelief but it couldn't have been any more ridiculous if Liam Neeson had pulled off his face to reveal that he was actually Santa Claus all along.

The end was so bad. I can't believe how popular it is.
    Dar W wrote: »
    The Lion King,i think there's loads of better Disney films than this but for some reason this is very popular with the masses

Agreed.

I would add Sophie's Choice to the list. I think I was expecting more in the past and there was too much in the present. I'm not a massive fan of Meryl Streep but I've seen much better films that she's been in.
  • Options
    GetridofcoleGetridofcole Posts: 1,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dirty dancing - cringeworthy
    Any rom com with Bridget jones being top of the turgid dung heap pile. How many times can they do get together argue and split up and get back together at end to some crap love song . Absolute whimsical poop
    Fast and the furious films - just a dullard boy racers wet dream
    Any Adam sandler film - just seems to act like a child in a film with children's humour
    Shitetanic- awful acting by the two leads only good bit is when dicaprio gets his cumuppance
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just plain wrong about Aliens, that's the only word for it.

And I personally think Shaun of the Dead is overrated, Hot Fuzz is easily the funnier film, and Mark Kermode goes on about how Shaun of the Dead manages to be both funny and touching, often using the line "I can't kill both my mum and my best friend on the same day" for support, I'm sorry but in what world is that line funny?

Not really just an above average action film, good to sit back and watch, but nothing more. Way overrated for what it actually is, as is T2.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Not really just an above average action film, good to sit back and watch, but nothing more. Way overrated for what it actually is, as is T2.

I personally found Aliens to be much scarier and more enjoyable than Alien. I just didn't find Alien that scary...
  • Options
    BarbraBarbra Posts: 15,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you prefer Alien or Aliens? This must have been discussed many times on several threads, have there ever been a poll on this subject?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    Pearl Harbour, Titanic - really long and they're both pretty dull in long parts.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Barbra wrote: »
    Do you prefer Alien or Aliens? This must have been discussed many times on several threads, have there ever been a poll on this subject?

There was one with a poll, but it was locked fairly quickly, due to a fight between two posters over James Cameron.

I'm in the 'Alien and Aliens cannot be compared' camp. Alien and Aliens have different focus, structure, tone, style, pace and the rest of aesthetics. Alien is also a cultural product of the 1970s and Aliens a cultural product of the 1980s. I just don't see how one could compare those two. Neither is better than each other. You can like either or both. To argue that one is better than the other doesn't make sense.
  • Options
    BarbraBarbra Posts: 15,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    There was one with a poll, but it was locked fairly quickly, due to a fight between two posters over James Cameron.

I'm in the 'Alien and Aliens cannot be compared' camp. Alien and Aliens have different focus, structure, tone, style, pace and the rest of aesthetics. Alien is also a cultural product of the 1970s and Aliens a cultural product of the 1980s. I just don't see how one could compare those two. Neither is better than each other. You can like either or both. To argue that one is better than the other doesn't make sense.

Thank you for your reply and I agree with what you said. I think it is fair to ask which film do you enjoy more and which would you watch again given the choice.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Barbra wrote: »
    I think it is fair to ask which film do you enjoy more and which would you watch again given the choice.

I thought I did say, but it seems I've deleted it by accident. Sorry about that, but yes, I prefer Alien. Aliens is too dated and brash for my taste.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Johnbee wrote: »
    Well done OP for attracting the usual looneys. .

Oh right,.so you're blaming me for how other people choose to reply to a thread i started?

Sounds totally fair to me!!>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(