Original Comedy Shorts - BBC iPlayer / On Demand

degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
Forum Member
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/group/p01zv79p

I watched the Matt Berry one last night. If you are childish and laugh at unnecessary swearing then you might like it.
It's written by Bob Mortimer.

Going to watch the Frankie Boyle one later.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/group/p01zv79p

I watched the Matt Berry one last night. If you are childish and laugh at unnecessary swearing then you might like it.
    It's written by Bob Mortimer.

Going to watch the Frankie Boyle one later.
    They're playing fast and loose with the word 'comedy' again I see.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Well you never know. One of them might have promise and could be developed.

Meera Syal
    Mick Flanagan
    Morgana Robinson

are available now
    Forum Member
    Watched the Reece Shearsmith one the other night and it was obvious that it was written by Bob Mortimer.

It was classic Vic & Bob - coupled with the Harry & Paul b&w noir sketches.
  • LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched the Dave Berry one, which was boring, and the Frankie Boyle cooking one. The latter was interesting, because I did enjoy parts of it, but I'd have enjoyed it more without Bob Mortimer.
    Forum Member
    Watched the Josh Widdecombe sitcom last night.

It was quite good.
    I didn't watch Lead Ballon so it's the first time i've seen Jack Dee in a comedy acting role and he was probably the best actor and character.

Beattie Edmondson was also good. Much better than when she was in The Wright Way, although it was another annoying character.

I do wonder what these shorts are for though. I can't see this short becoming a full sitcom. So is the idea just to get the actors, writers and other staff some exposure?
  • far2coolfar2cool Posts: 6,334
    Forum Member
    I watched the Josh Widdecombe one earlier, thought it was very good :)
  • BosoxBosox Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I do wonder what these shorts are for though. I can't see this short becoming a full sitcom. So is the idea just to get the actors, writers and other staff some exposure?

Not sure I agree with you there, pilots are commissioned all the time, it's just different in that they are letting the public see them. I could see the Josh one being given a full series, there's plenty of scope there.
  • far2coolfar2cool Posts: 6,334
    Forum Member
    Just watched 'Flat TV' really enjoyed it, can't see it working as a series, but I thought the short was very good :D
    Forum Member
    Bosox wrote: »
    Not sure I agree with you there, pilots are commissioned all the time, it's just different in that they are letting the public see them. I could see the Josh one being given a full series, there's plenty of scope there.
    Not sure. Many of these are shorts. I think only one so far has been 30 minutes.

You're not going to get much from 5 minutes. But it could just be a way to see if the writer, director, producer would be worth giving a budget to for a full pilot or series.

Playhouse Presents on Sky Arts is similar. It has writers and directors that are possibly known as actors but not as writers/directors and gives them a chance to show off their talent behind the camera.
    Forum Member
    Watched the Parent Evening one with Kayvan Novak the other night. Some of it was good but the guy doesn't suit prostethics and the history teacher was basically Ian McKellan.
    Forum Member
    A new one is up.

Matt Berry Does... The Boat Race
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p02mwfcg/matt-berry-does-1-the-boat-race

If you like his voice and (mis)pronunciation of certain words then you may like it.