quick answer required reception issues

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
Forum Member
Hi
Ive got a bit of a niggle here, my dad has got an old tv maybe ten years old and the picture is an awfull green i plugged my lcd tv into his areal and it was fine ,,i then plugged an old sanyo tv which worked fine in my house but the picture is also green on this one to.........but the picture is fine when plugged into a connection from the same arial in another room..booo
any help will do
cheers
scotty

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    areal ? arial? gosh you must mean aerial, why do so many people get this wrong?

Right rant over, have you got a speaker or something magnetic near these old CRT tellies? This can cause colour impurity problems, LCD tellies are not affected by this.

Good post
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As this is the Freeview forum, are you talking about old TVs connected to a digital box, but the LCD TV connected to the aerial direct? If so, then I suggest that the SCART cable is probably not properly connected at the end plugged into the box.
  • HeinzHeinz Posts: 7,210
    Forum Member
    albertd wrote: »
    As this is the Freeview forum, are you talking about old TVs connected to a digital box, but the LCD TV connected to the aerial direct? If so, then I suggest that the SCART cable is probably not properly connected at the end plugged into the box.
    Or

(1). if it's the same STB connected to the two CRT TVs, the STB is faulty

(2) I believe that effect can sometimes happen if the STB is set to output RGB when the TV can only deal with a PAL input (as they're both old TVs, that must be a possibility here).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    Hi
    excuse my spelling please(aerial) haa
    Right...there are no speakers etc next to tv..the same connection was made to all tv which was a scart lead from the digi box.ive checked all connections and gave them a good fiddle with it just seams really strange that both old tellys are green??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    Heinz wrote: »
    Or

(2) I believe that effect can sometimes happen if the STB is set to output RGB when the TV can only deal with a PAL input (as they're both old TVs, that must be a possibility here).

ok so excuse my ignorance here..the STB is the digi box right?
    i will swap it with a spare i have to see if it makes any diff..
    cheers
  • Paul GraysonPaul Grayson Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some really old CRT TVs had incorrectly wired up RGB SCART sockets, which resulted in a green wash when attempting to view an RGB signal. I had this problem with a 1988 Panasonic TV once.

The fix was to put the STB or SCART socket into composite mode.
  • Anti-StaticAnti-Static Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    Heinz wrote: »
    Or

Yes. I had exactly the same issue recently. I bought the in-laws a cheepo freeview box from Argos. When I set it up the picture was green.
    I went into the output setting for the box and swapped from CVBS to RGB (or vice-versa).
    Excellent picture now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scotty3968 wrote: »
    ok so excuse my ignorance here..the STB is the digi box right?

STB = set top box, e.g. your Freeview box.

Digibox = digital satellite receiver for Sky Digital.

-rapido
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is going on here in NOT clear ........

Presumably, several tv older sets are being plugged into a Freeview receiver?

A "coloured" picture is probably due to a poor SCART connector lead. The correct picture needs all 3 colour component signals (R, G, B), and if 1 pin (of 3) is missing the picture will look coloured! Scart leads are notoriously bad, make sure the connectors both ends are FIRMLY pushed in!

If this doesn;t work, try changing to CVBS instead of RGB. That's the complete colour signal on just 1 pin!