Harvest 2013 8pm BBC2

jaffboy151jaffboy151 Posts: 1,933
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just switched onto this program and must say its well put together, very interesting, shame they haven't advertised it better, good presenters too with good investment in the back stories for example visiting the farms in winter, spring at various key points of the cycle,
Wish Airport Live earlier this year had got the same treatment, that was very amateur hour..

Comments

• degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Had it on in the background. Dipped in and out. Infact I think i've missed out on some interesting stuff which is a shame. I just don't think I could sit down for a full hour and pay full attention to it though.
  • wavy-davywavy-davy Posts: 7,122
    Forum Member
    Great to see Phllippa Forrester back on the box. :)
  • ScrumperScrumper Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, Phllippa Forrester and farm machinery, what more could a man want :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    I missed the first one, but saw tonight's episode. It was excellent, really interesting.
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wavy-davy wrote: »
    Great to see Phllippa Forrester back on the box. :)

No more to be said. I hope she's back presenting more often.
  • zandarzandar Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Harvest - an absolutely brilliant 3 part series. Judging by the number of viewers and responses here, hardly anyone appears to have watched it. This is a real shame as the majority of the population would have learnt a lot from this.

Looking at the number of views for each thread, most people seem to be more interested in the best boobs/legs on TV. Well, I guess that says a lot about the British population!
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zandar wrote: »
    Harvest - an absolutely brilliant 3 part series. Judging by the number of viewers and responses here, hardly anyone appears to have watched it. This is a real shame as the majority of the population would have learnt a lot from this.

Looking at the number of views for each thread, most people seem to be more interested in the best boobs/legs on TV. Well, I guess that says a lot about the British population!

And maybe many of those same people complain that the BBC never puts on interesting programmes
  • Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,894
    Forum Member
    Tuned in last night thinking it would a dumbed down version for those city dwellers (i.e. this is a field. We grow crops in a field) but actually found it quite interesting, especially where they explained they had to import bees in order to pollinate. Didn't explain what happened to the bees after that. I suppose most died off due to a short life-cycle, but would have been nice to have had a wee explanation.

I dislike getting presenters involved in some things. Yes show us and explain how to pick cherries, but we don't need ten minutes from some "celebrity" presenter pretending he's going to pick more fruit than the experienced pickers.
  • domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member

I was going to watch it until I found out Gregg Wallace was one of the presenters.

I just cannot abide the man.
  • Sherlock_HolmesSherlock_Holmes Posts: 6,882
    Forum Member
    Smiley433 wrote: »
    I dislike getting presenters involved in some things. Yes show us and explain how to pick cherries, but we don't need ten minutes from some "celebrity" presenter pretending he's going to pick more fruit than the experienced pickers.

Philippa is actually really into this kind of thing (she also lives in the countryside on a farm with her family), so I assume that you are talking about Gregg Wallace :confused:

And yes, as others have mentioned, lovely to see the great Pippa back on our screens :)
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Philippa is actually really into this kind of thing (she also lives in the countryside on a farm with her family), so I assume that you are talking about Gregg Wallace :confused:

And yes, as others have mentioned, lovely to see the great Pippa back on our screens :)

She be perfect for The One Show.
  • La RhumbaLa Rhumba Posts: 11,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's far too good for the One Show! Too intellectual at any rate. :p

The difference in the 2 presenters was marked, and Gregg Wallace was hugely annoying, patronizing and tried too hard to be comedic, but was just OTT. :yawn:

Phillippa on the other hand was truly excellent and I say bring her to the roster of Springwatch/Autumnwatch presenters.
    Don't forget her main interest is wildlife and Ecology and she's married to a wildlife cameraman.

Not that it's important, but she did look very slinky and had got her figure back, after having 3 boys, and appearing plumper in recent years. And her voice is lovely. :)

Why Wallace gets so much TV time is a mystery. :rolleyes:

But the series of 3 programmes was very interesting and good to see.
    Forum Member

I was.
    La Rhumba wrote: »
    The difference in the 2 presenters was marked, and Gregg Wallace was hugely annoying, patronizing and tried too hard to be comedic, but was just OTT. :yawn:

That's how I felt about him too.
  • wavy-davywavy-davy Posts: 7,122
    Forum Member
    Wallace is a rude ignorant pillock. I would rather see someone like Ben Fogle or Matt Baker alongside Philippa.
  • jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wallace was doing the show because he can claim some degree of knowledge of the subject matter, given he was a fruit & veg merchant before getting on TV. What the hell do Matt Baker and Ben Fogle know about it?

Wallace is indeed a pillock, but in this case he's far from an ignorant one. I thought a lot of what he did was 'filler' but it would have been even more so being done by somebody who couldn't even name a few varieties of cherry let alone be able to tell you the difference in taste between them.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    He sells fruit and veg. Doesn't mean he knows anything about growing it, especially large scale.

He mentioned his igrorance himself when talking about new/salad potatoes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    What is it with people on this forum and Greg Wallace? As far as I'm concerned he's a decent bloke, honest and straightforward. I just cannot understand the level of vitriol he attracts on here, whether on this programme or Masterchef. People should address their comments more on the merits of the programme than snipe at him. Bloody trolls.
  • Tom2023Tom2023 Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In the veg episode I thought Pippa's tits were badly in need of some decent support :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom2023 wrote: »
    In the veg episode I thought Pippa's tits were badly in need of some decent support :)
    I will dutifully offer my services ..... :)
    Forum Member
    colin23 wrote: »
    What is it with people on this forum and Greg Wallace? As far as I'm concerned he's a decent bloke, honest and straightforward. I just cannot understand the level of vitriol he attracts on here, whether on this programme or Masterchef. People should address their comments more on the merits of the programme than snipe at him. Bloody trolls.

This from the person who wrote...
    colin23 wrote: »
    I don't often post on here but do read it quite a bit. But I am moved to say that I don't mind anyone winning except Janet Street Porter. What a horrible, conceited, immature woman she is. As others have said, she has no respect for people who know what they are talking about, and cannot take justifiable criticism. If she likes it then it is good, and if you don't then you are nitpicking. Pathetic.

I'm sure Greg is a "decent bloke", but I don't think he was suited to this particular presenting role. But we are allowed opinions on the subject without accusations of being trolls.

Back on topic, I didn't see the first two in the series - are they worth viewing?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Back on topic, I didn't see the first two in the series - are they worth viewing?

A great 3 part series.

If the BBC stopped working for the Labour party and stopped paying each other £500,000 a year and made more shows like this I might even consider getting a TV licence once again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom2023 wrote: »
    If the BBC stopped working for the Labour party
    Except that they don't.
    and stopped paying each other £500,000 a year
    Except that they don't.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This from the person who wrote...

I'm sure Greg is a "decent bloke", but I don't think he was suited to this particular presenting role. But we are allowed opinions on the subject without accusations of being trolls.

He gets criticised on Masterchef because 'he is only a greengrocer' but he stills gets criticised when he does a programme about growing fruit and vegetables. He can't win!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Except that they don't.

Except that they don't.

The BBC are in reciept of £3.5 billion a year of tax payers money and as Michael Grade said the other day" suffers a lack of understanding of the value of money."

Can you imagine what HBO would do with £3.5 billions a year guaranteed income?

I doubt we'd be seeing the 10 season of Strictly come nonentity dancing.
  • jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh God. Can we not turn yet another thread into 'how I hate the TV licence and the BBC is a bunch of lefties' please? If you want to rant about those things there are many (so, so many) threads where you can do that to your heart's content.