My Boy Jack

mintchocchipmintchocchip Posts: 16,086
Forum Member
✭✭
Is anyone watching this? I like it so far, but know I'm going to cry!!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It looks very good but I can't watch war stories, not even fictional ones. I don't know why but they just get to me too much.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    its so slow and boring ..i think im going to fall asleep ..
  • square_eyessquare_eyes Posts: 7,559
    Forum Member
    SLEETKIN wrote: »
    its so slow and boring ..i think im going to fall asleep ..

I disagree, it's storytelling. It's important you get to know and understand the motivation of the characters.

I'm finding it to be very good so far.
  • iwastheretooiwastheretoo Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    My 13 yo is watching for history homework
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm having the same trouble with this as I do with Harry Potter films - Daniel Radcliffe's non-acting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I disagree, it's storytelling. It's important you get to know and understand the motivation of the characters.

I'm finding it to be very good so far.

theres storytelling and there's zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz:yawn:
  • puppetangelpuppetangel Posts: 2,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am liking it. Didnt know much about Rudyard Kipling or his family apart from his work.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am enjoying it but still think of 'Bernard':D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was really good. Hope it did well in the ratings.
  • mintchocchipmintchocchip Posts: 16,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cstar2229 wrote: »
    I am enjoying it but still think of 'Bernard':D

LOL!!

I liked it, but it didn't make me cry like I thought it would. I like Radcliffe and thought he had some good moments but also some iffy ones!!! Carey Mulligan and Kim Cattrall were brilliant though.
  • Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member

And this was definitely the former. Sorry there wasn't enough action to satisfy your needs.

I was in tears at the end. Wonderful drama. Kim Cattrall was a revelation as well.
  • Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was brilliant (if that is the right word) I thought the main 4 played their characters perfectly, it was so subtle and understated and ending with that poem was so perfect.

I didnt think i would like it but i loved it, and yes i cried at the end... perfect for rememberance day. It was subtle and effective and class drama.
  • liblobliblob Posts: 21,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was very good. This is an interesting read.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it was really good, and very apt to be shown today
  • HetalHetal Posts: 5,415
    Forum Member
    Wow, that was really emotional. This is what ITV needs on a daily basis, pure drama.

To the poster saying it's boring, is it any wonder why there's so much trash on TV with an attitude like yours?
  • Lewis-F1Lewis-F1 Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

How rude and bloody insulting given today.

back to your playstaion. :rolleyes:

Sorry that war isn't exciting enough for you :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    Absolutely loved it.

The only problem I had was that, as Dan Radcliffe is so famous for Harry Potter, when he was having trouble with the rain on his glasses, I did actually think 'oh for goodness sake, Impervius'.

Ahem.

I'm 23 now and have been a member of the British Legion and a Poppy Appeal collector since for the last seven years and it's a cause very close to my heart. I think it's wonderful that ITV showed this drama today and I hope it's touched a lot of people.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    liblob wrote: »
    I thought it was very good. This is an interesting read.

Thank you for that link, it is indeed very interesting!

I thought this was quite good, was very sad at the end and during the battle. Makes us realise what everyone went through in the wars. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    purplecatz wrote: »
    it was really good, and very apt to be shown today

Indeed. I'm glad they didn't go for the happy ending as it wouldn't have been fitting for the thousands who didn't come home.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolutely loved it.

The only problem I had was that, as Dan Radcliffe is so famous for Harry Potter, when he was having trouble with the rain on his glasses, I did actually think 'oh for goodness sake, Impervius'.

Ahem.

I'm 23 now and have been a member of the British Legion and a Poppy Appeal collector since for the last seven years and it's a cause very close to my heart. I think it's wonderful that ITV showed this drama today and I hope it's touched a lot of people.

That's a genuinely refreashingly positive post from a 23 year old. (In a non-patronising way)
    There may still be hope for our country despite some of the most disgustingly disrespectful things I have read on some DS threads in the run up to today.

Well done to you!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    could some one please fill me in on what happened in the last section. I had to go to pick up me old Dad coming back from the Cenotaph in London and it did not record..Thanks in advance.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    Without any disrespect to what the meaning of today is, I felt that the script was shallow and clumpy. It said it was adapted from a stage play and that I think was the trouble. It felt too large and sweeping, so many of the minor characters were 2 dimensional. I was interested in the Kipling facts, I had no idea of his involvement with the propaganda etc but the subject matter alone does not make it good drama. This was high budget 2 hrs of television and could have been staggering, instead it was okay at best and yes it was moving in parts because any scene depicting the loss of young lives would be but I wanted a lot more and sadly I didn't get it.
  • duncannduncann Posts: 11,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am always the first to say ITV cannot get period drama right, so let me be the first to take it back. This was wonderful, it was almost faultless. It was deep, there were so few characters in it and no spectacle, it concentrated on getting right to the heart and core of each member of the family, it was intensely believable, it avoided cliches yet it was not off the mainstream, and thankfully it didn't caricature the men with moustaches or get into trying to bash Kipling senior with timeist and hindsight views about the Empire or Great War. David Haig wrote, exec produced and starred in this, so well done him, but everyone was good, even Daniel Radcliffe was perfectly cast.

My only criticism is that RK was world famous and extremely rich and in an age when even lower middle class families had a maid who came in, I don't think any of that family would have answered their own front door, but it's acceptable that they did for dramatic purposes.