Options

ROGER SCOTT - 19 years on - I still miss him

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 301
    Forum Member
    Keefy-boy wrote: »
    says it all! more than a little pleased to see this thread. i've got loads of roger stuff i recorded when it became clear he wasn't going to live. going to dig some of it out today now.

I might be wrong, but I think Richard Park wanted to move Roger to Capital Gold when it launched, to which Roger's response was "I like to visit museums, I don't want to live in one"

Frightening that his predictions for the state of music radio in the uk was so accurate, tight playlists, music testing and no real personalities on air.

I used to love listening to Scott on Sunday on Radio1, just a consumate professional to the end.

I never met you Roger, but would listen to you on the way home from School in my mums car, she is a HUGE Springsteen fan, and you inspired me to follow a career in Radio, and live my dream.

Thanks Rog, you not forgotten.
  • Options
    Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    I've always remembered the death of Roger Scott as:

1) He was my fave DJ at the time on Radio 1
    2) It was my birthday when he died

I'm 34 now, so he died on my 15th .... Geez! Always had a voice of authority on the airwaves, booming and powerful.

Great tunes, Great Jock. Nuff said.
  • Options
    FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,894
    Forum Member
    Rob Howell wrote: »
    I might be wrong, but I think Richard Park wanted to move Roger to Capital Gold when it launched, to which Roger's response was "I like to visit museums, I don't want to live in one"

Yes that's correct and that is why he went on to move to Radio 1.

I mentioned in an earlier post that I thought that if Roger had still been with us then he might have been on Radio 2, however towards the end of his life he was more interested in news & current affairs so I tend to think that had he not passed away when he did then he would have stayed at Radio 1, then moved to Virgin Radio to present Drive and then moved to Radio 5/Five Live.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    Wonder if there is anywhere we could download that amazing Radio Radio interview with Roger. It was probably the first and last time I sat clued to a radio for a couple of hours. I recorded the repeat, but where that TDK C90 is now, who knows.

Anyone in the industry who needs any motivation needs to hear it.

Missing you Roger. You were the inspiration to get into radio all those years ago.
  • Options
    mw963mw963 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit late spotting this thread, but I concur with everything that's been written. When Capital started in 1973 it was his show that suddenly made me see the "point" of contemporary music; he is one of the few DJ's whose taste was always impeccable and who was always "proved right" when he championed something.

Fond memories, and sadly sadly missed. A true pro, when one sees the rubbish on offer now it makes his legacy all the more poignant.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The greatest ever DJ ever on british radio and he was a nice bloke met him at Springsteen at the Tunnel of Love gig and blammed him for costing me thousand as I had become a big fan....H e brought me a beer to say sorry,Im sure he is up there now shaking his head at how dreadful a large chunk of british radio has become.

I also have on cassette the whole of his final Radio 1 show now if someone can stick it on CD's for me you can have the tape and then happy to burn it for people
  • Options
    davenicefabfmdavenicefabfm Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    The greatest ever DJ ever on british radio and he was a nice bloke met him at Springsteen at the Tunnel of Love gig and blammed him for costing me thousand as I had become a big fan....H e brought me a beer to say sorry,Im sure he is up there now shaking his head at how dreadful a large chunk of british radio has become.

I also have on cassette the whole of his final Radio 1 show now if someone can stick it on CD's for me you can have the tape and then happy to burn it for people

If you want to download Roger Scott and Kenny you can get an old capital show from hear

Roger and Kenny were both the best

http://www.southhertsradio.com/download.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you want to download Roger Scott and Kenny you can get an old capital show from hear

Roger and Kenny were both the best

http://www.southhertsradio.com/download.html
    Brilliant ta Dave!
  • Options
    FB1969FB1969 Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A belated thanks from me for this thread.

I taped the "Radio Radio" programme that was broadcast as a tribute and will dig it out soon and wallow in the memories.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not entirely sure the best way of people getting in touch without the whole world knowing your email address, but I would be only too happy to put the RADIO RADIO show onto a CD. Just not sure how you get in touch!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Drop me a Private Message through this forum, click on my user name on the left and there is an option on the drop down list.

I am still such a Luddite that I should be able to copy the tape to another tape and am happy to send that to you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

ok i will
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i can also send you a show of his on radio victory.
  • Options
    DartfordHoopDartfordHoop Posts: 232
    Forum Member
    radio nut wrote: »
    i can also send you a show of his on radio victory.

When was this? I didnt know he'd done shows on there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    september or december1976
  • Options
    Kevin1960Kevin1960 Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    I used to listen to Roger regularly when he was on Capital; I can't believe it's 19 years...

Roger was the world's greatest Bruce Springsteen fan; he played one of the "Boss's" records on every programme.

I always remember he used to have a phone in of some description (the name of which I can't remember) where he played a new release every week and listeners had to phone in to vote for their favourite. One week in late 1977 one of the new releases was Mull Of Kintyre from Wings; it came last out of the 5 new releases that week...and went on to become the biggest selling record of all time!
  • Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Three O'clock Thrill and Afternoon Delight!
  • Options
    RadioJohnRadioJohn Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Hi Peanutseller,
    Which show do you have? his final "Live" show was on the 8th Oct 89 but he did a pre-recorded show which went out the following sunday the 15th i think? I have both shows a long with a "Final Records show " which Andy Peebles presented in Rogers sunday night slot as a tribute to Roger on 5th November the show is all the songs that Roger would of played on his last radio show had he been able to!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    id like copys of that
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It always surprises me that Roger was never involved in any of the offshore stations.

He'd have been great on Caroline! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just listened to the Radio Radio show (I have it noted as being broadcast on 4 Nov 89).

Happy memories of someone that I will never forget.

Cheers Roger.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sorry FB1969, that doesn't seem to come up as an option when I click on you. Like you I can work some pretty complex applications, but when it comes to Facebook and Digital Spy, I am stumped! We can work it out!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You obviously sussed it 2 minutes after you posted :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kevin1960 wrote: »
    I used to listen to Roger regularly when he was on Capital; I can't believe it's 19 years...

Roger was the world's greatest Bruce Springsteen fan; he played one of the "Boss's" records on every programme.

I always remember he used to have a phone in of some description (the name of which I can't remember) where he played a new release every week and listeners had to phone in to vote for their favourite. One week in late 1977 one of the new releases was Mull Of Kintyre from Wings; it came last out of the 5 new releases that week...and went on to become the biggest selling record of all time!

That was a feature called The Peoples Choice
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RadioJohn wrote: »
    Hi Peanutseller,
    Which show do you have? his final "Live" show was on the 8th Oct 89 but he did a pre-recorded show which went out the following sunday the 15th i think? I have both shows a long with a "Final Records show " which Andy Peebles presented in Rogers sunday night slot as a tribute to Roger on 5th November the show is all the songs that Roger would of played on his last radio show had he been able to!!!

Hi John The final live show was on the 8th which i have in full the show on the 15th was a repeated show which I think Fluff introduced