Options

Backwards Compatibility coming to Xbox One.

Comments

• Options
    KillerCloudKillerCloud Posts: 1,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm in now thanks.
  • Options
    shoestring25shoestring25 Posts: 4,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    im wondering how 360 DLC will work? if it downloads the equiviant xbox one compatible version when you put the disc will it be the normal version?
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    im wondering how 360 DLC will work? if it downloads the equiviant xbox one compatible version when you put the disc will it be the normal version?

It downloads the actual Xbox 360 version, and runs it in a full-on Xbox 360 emulator within the Xbox One.
  • Options
    BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    If someone could do me the favour of sending an invite/referring me, t'would be greatly appreciated.

GT: CouncilSp3ctr3

Ta :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bester wrote: »
    If someone could do me the favour of sending an invite/referring me, t'would be greatly appreciated.

GT: CouncilSp3ctr3

Ta :)

Done :)

(I'm "Tezcatlipoca", btw)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Matt D wrote: »
    Done :)

(I'm "Tezcatlipoca", btw)

I'm not entirely sure how I'd even pronounce that! :D

Many thanks Matt, You're a star :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No one does - that's why everyone just says "Tez" :D

No problem :)

I've just fired up Mass Effect (after a 7GB or whatever download & installation that took a good four hours or so despite having 80/20 fibre broadband).

Took a few minutes to get my Xbox 360 info (maybe as it's the first time I've run the BC?), but then the game loaded, complete with all my Xbox 360 Mass Effect cloud saves :)

So tempting to just jump right in, but I've already got a huge backlog, plus have Batman to start next week.

Just seeing the main menu brought back memories :)
  • Options
    Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    Perfect dark zero won't work via the disc :(
  • Options
    gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    I think it's Only North American disc's that work at the moment.
  • Options
    RedOrDead36RedOrDead36 Posts: 1,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Backwards compatibility or heavily restricted emulator? You decide..
  • Options
    KillerCloudKillerCloud Posts: 1,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Viva Pinata works via disc ☺
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Matt D wrote: »
    No one does - that's why everyone just says "Tez" :D

No problem :)

I've just fired up Mass Effect (after a 7GB or whatever download & installation that took a good four hours or so despite having 80/20 fibre broadband).

Took a few minutes to get my Xbox 360 info (maybe as it's the first time I've run the BC?), but then the game loaded, complete with all my Xbox 360 Mass Effect cloud saves :)

So tempting to just jump right in, but I've already got a huge backlog, plus have Batman to start next week.

Just seeing the main menu brought back memories :)

Mass Effect, and to a lesser extent CoD4/WaW are the only reasons I still have a 360.

Even though I mostly play ME on a PC now I still want the ability to just jump into it on the XB.

Guess my backlog just went from massive to gigantinormous! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    have you noticed a performance increase on the xbox one emulation? loading times etc
  • Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    have you noticed a performance increase on the xbox one emulation? loading times etc

It's hard to say without direct comparisons, but Digital Foundry have been doing just that and the results are mixed. They say Kameo is near perfect, but Mass Effect is almost unplayable in places due to massive frame rate drops.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-vs-backwards-compatibility-on-xbox-one
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For those asking about discs, Kameo and Viva Piñata work because they're region-free. Perfect Dark Zero is not and so only the U.S. Version is supported. (thanks MS)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    I'd be really grateful if someone would be kind enough to invite/refer me, as I'm keen to try the backwards compatibility stuff.

GT: BadPeteRat

Thanks. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    Well, if they can get Red Dead Redemption, LA Noire, the first Black Ops with Zombies in the theatre level working then that is me buying an Xbox One this Christmas :)

Gears of War 2 would also be awesome.

This is fantastic news, as I was really not too fussed so far by what was on offer on either PS4 or Xbox One and quite happy with my 360. I was even considering skipping a generation.

I'm quite fussy on buying new games and Battle Front is the first next gen game that makes me want to buy a console as it is exclusive to next gen. I was leaning to a PS4 after having an original Xbox and then a 360, but as a casual gamer this is swaying me back to Xbox One as I still play older games.

If Microsoft will get the TV control function working better so that I can play the recordings off my Sky box rather than just live TV, together with backwards compatibility, then they have gained one extra lot of £350 from me by doing this :D

I will probably buy one anyway even if the above games are not available at the launch of this function at Christmas as no doubt they will come later, lets hope the Devs let it happen for the biggest titles!

I would expect that this will sway others who are still umming and arring about which next gen to go for.

Now.... I wander if I will be able to play Destroy All Humans 1 on the Xbox One, as I can play it on my 360, even though it is an Xbox Original game :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    im wondering if companies that have done remasters will allow the old version to be backwards compatible. i mean i wont buy the gears remaster if i can play the 360 version of gears on me xbox one
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    im wondering if companies that have done remasters will allow the old version to be backwards compatible. i mean i wont buy the gears remaster if i can play the 360 version of gears on me xbox one

Gears 2 and 3 are in the top 20 most requested games to be added. I wonder if MS will be true to their word or be tactical about it?

If you're just buying it for the story mode you may as well stick with the 360 version. Especially with the new graphics in the Ultimate version being nothing to shout about. You'd probably have a better chance at getting decent multiplayer matches through the remaster though.
  • Options
    Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If someone would be kind enough to refer me it would be greatly appreciated. I do have the mass effect trilogy although on discs. Would be great to play on Xbox one.

Slick dude47
  • Options
    gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
  • Options
    Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good article. Some of the comments were funny but the general concensus seemed to be that this was a good move by MS and that emulation performance will improve with time, so fingers crossed for that.

Just wish I had one game that's supported.
  • Options
    He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member

Lets keep our fingers crossed that the next free Xbox 360 Games with gold are backwards compatible titles.

July could be potentially the best games with gold yet for xbox one owners. One xbox one title and a couple of backwards compatible titles would be great.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He4rt wrote: »
    Lets keep our fingers crossed that the next free Xbox 360 Games with gold are backwards compatible titles.

July could be potentially the best games with gold yet for xbox one owners. One xbox one title and a couple of backwards compatible titles would be great.

Yeah. I've now got Battleblock Theatre and Defence Grid on my Xbox One, both of which were GWG freebies on 360.

I'd forgotten I had them to be honest.
  • Options
    Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Everyone can get Hexic HD for free:

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-GB/Product/Hexic-HD/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802584107d1?cid=SLink

You can play it on Xbox 360 or Xbox One.