Options

puting files from old drive to bigger new drive

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
Forum Member
puting files from old drive from humax to bigger new drive,
will all of the video files be seen by the humax on new hard drive.
thanks dave

Comments

• Options
    Max DemianMax Demian Posts: 1,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unlikely..
  • Options
    TimA-CTimA-C Posts: 483
    Forum Member
    You might try something like Norton's Ghost 2003 . . . ? (Not the later ones.)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    TimA-C wrote:
    You might try something like Norton's Ghost 2003 . . . ? (Not the later ones.)
    Why not the later ones?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ghost will only be able to clone the HDD (if it can). It will not be able to put the 9200T HDD structure on it - so you will unable to use the 'extra' space on the new HDD.

It is possible to 'format' the new HDD with the 9200T HDD structure and then move the recordings across and populate the FAT and index tables by removing the HDD and sticking it as well as the new HDD into a PC.

But unfortunately, no one has written a program to do that yet! Any volunteers? :)
  • Options
    TimA-CTimA-C Posts: 483
    Forum Member
    Ghost 2003 is the last version of ghost that works from DOS and can therefore do a complete 'snapshot' without any files/folders being open which could cause an imperfect copy.

When using Ghost on Fat, Fat32, and NTFS partitions it can 'expand' or 'shrink' the partiton when you write onto a hard drive. (obviously it can only shrink a partiton down by the amount of free space in that partiton. It doesn't compress data.) I've never used Ghost on anything other that Fat, Fat32, or NTFS partitons so I don't know how well Ghost would cope with whatever is on the Hummy's hard drive.

Ghost 2003 used to be bundled with later versions of Norton Ghost, not sure if this is still the case. (BTW, If you try Ghost 2003, do install it on your main system, run the LiveUpdate, and then generate your boot floppys/cds. The update dramatically improves the way Ghost can handle SATA & USB drives.)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TimA-C wrote:
    Ghost 2003 is the last version of ghost that works from DOS and can therefore do a complete 'snapshot' without any files/folders being open which could cause an imperfect copy.

When using Ghost on Fat, Fat32, and NTFS partitions it can 'expand' or 'shrink' the partiton when you write onto a hard drive. (obviously it can only shrink a partiton down by the amount of free space in that partiton. It doesn't compress data.) I've never used Ghost on anything other that Fat, Fat32, or NTFS partitons so I don't know how well Ghost would cope with whatever is on the Hummy's hard drive.

Ghost 2003 used to be bundled with later versions of Norton Ghost, not sure if this is still the case. (BTW, If you try Ghost 2003, do install it on your main system, run the LiveUpdate, and then generate your boot floppys/cds. The update dramatically improves the way Ghost can handle SATA & USB drives.)

I can see a few handy reasons why someone might want to ghost a humax disk , for example:
    Backup
    A faulty machine requiring hard disk or machine swap out
    upgrading to bigger (or smaller?) hard drive

I'd be willing to test this out/help find a way to do it but I dont have much experience of Ghost and such like. The reason being is I have two 9200t machines and a spare hard drive too. I also seem to have a copy of ghost 2003 which came with Ghost 9.0 - both of which I havent used. But if someone was to give me a stear / hand holding I can probably prove the method quickly enough
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    If you don't want to change the partition sizes - ie merely make an identical copy of the HDD - then I think Acronis True Image's Clone Disk function might do the job.

It says that in "As Is" copy mode it simply replicates the partition structure on the output HDD leaving any additional space unallocated. In this mode it claims to be able to transfer unsupported or damaged file systems.

In the other modes (automatic or manual) the partition sizes are going to change and this will only work if the type of file system in each partition is understood by the software. I suspect that the Hummy file system is not one it knows about!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    I would forget it. Ghost could POSSIBLY do a 1:1 clone of the disk, but then that would not account for the new drive size, and could possible f**k up the structure totally. The Hummy uses a proprietary HDD format, not even using a standard partition table. No tool has been written for doing this, and it's unlikely that one ever will.

Watch the stuff, burn it to a DVD, whatever. upgrading your hard disk is going to leave you with a blank hummy - think of it as a fresh start.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Having read through the posts, I ask my self if you replace the HDD how is the file struture applied to the new drive?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Hummy has a format option. It will ask you to format the HDD when a brand new one is put into the box.