Play Buffer

wilf21wilf21 Posts: 105
Forum Member
This is probably a stupid question so apologies in advance. To start the play buffer running, do I have to hit the Play button (or the pause button for that matter) or does the buffer start automatically as soon as I switch over to a channel? Also, am i right in saying that the buffer runs on a loop of something like just under two hours?

TIA.

Wilf

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The buffer starts recording automatically as soon as you start viewing a channel. When you change channel, everything that was in the buffer is lost (you can't rewind beyond the most recent channel change).

The capacity of the buffer is around two hours, depending on the bitrate of the content being buffered (I think).

Hope this answers your questions. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The buffer is about 2 hours in size, yes.

It will start buffering the channel once you switch over to it. After a few minutes you can 'rewind' the buffer (press play and use the left/right arrows, then press OK to start playing the buffer from that point). When you switch channels (or go into the menu) the current buffer will be lost and buffering starts again (once you exit).

The Hummy constantly buffers the channel you are watching and you can't turn this off (unless both tuners are recording, that's when no buffering occurs.)

You can use PiP to buffer both of the channels you are watching (by way of PiP).
  • wilf21wilf21 Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    Wow two really helpful replies in less than 10 minutes. Many thanks - I'm glad I've subscribed to these forums!

Wilf
    Forum Member
    son_t wrote:

The Hummy constantly buffers the channel you are watching and you can't turn this off (unless both tuners are recording, that's when no buffering occurs.)

What happens to the contents of the buffer if a second recording starts up? That is, suppose I have one recording in progress, the buffer has been running for, say, 35 minutes, then a second recording starts. Is the (35 minute) buffer immediately lost?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it is lost, yes.

I don't know this by first experience but I remember a discussion...
    Forum Member
    son_t wrote:
    I think it is lost, yes.

I don't know this by first experience but I remember a discussion...
    ok, thanks, I'll experiment at some stage.