X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    pac_girl wrote: »
    Spoilers below.
    Was disappointed. I really liked first class, more so than the previous films - so maybe I'd have been happier with the new cast only, I think wolverine distracted from the Charles/Eric/raven dynamic. And I know he was a key part to the film and hugh jackman is always lovely to look at but I find him a boring actor, where I can watch anything with James MacAvoy (he was amazing in filth for example) there's something about hugh jackman that's just so samey in everything.
    So it was just another wolverine film really and all the dead ones are back to fight again :(

Will give it a second viewing at some point.

You have posted some huge spoilers there. Might be best to put it in a spoiler tag.
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I seen this last night, thought it was very good. Well worth a watch, some great funny scenes/lines, some great action and, well, anything else I say will spoil it so I won't!

Hugh Jackman's arse though is always a nice sight to behold. Is it going to appear in every X-Men film I wonder?!
  • abigail1234abigail1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mixed reviews or not, I am SO looking forward to this...
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JamieHT wrote: »
    I saw it today, loved it too. I actually think the timeline is sorted now for both the originals and First Class lot to continue if they want.

First Class contradicted the original trilogy in several ways, and it's never been explained. I previously treated First Class as more of a reboot than a prequel, but joining them together via DOFP makes the contradictions worse IMO.

The timeline also seems more of a mess now, eg:
    If there was an active Sentinel programme from 1973, then why were there no Sentinels in the original trilogy? And why was there such a big deal over the Mutant Registration Act when the Government already had Sentinels capable of instantly detecting mutants at distance?

And I would have liked explanations for:
    - When/how did Logan get his adamantium claws back, given that he lost them and had bone claws at the end of Wolverine?

- When/how did Xavier get a new body identical to the one that Jean destroyed? All we saw at the end of X-Men 3 was that he sent his mind into a coma patient of Moira (who of course was the Scottish geneticist version of Moira and not the American CIA agent version from First Class)

The post-credits scene from The Wolverine also does not seem to fit with DOFP.

Saw it yesterday and it exceeded all my expectations. One of the best comic book movies yet and the best X-Men film since X-Men 2.

As much as I enjoyed it, I don't think it's as good as X-Men 2 or First Class.
  • SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    Paddy C wrote: »

Hugh Jackman's arse though is always a nice sight to behold. Is it going to appear in every X-Men film I wonder?!

What is that about? Its a little tiresome. Is it for the little girls in the audience?
  • fallfallfallfallfallfall Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    will we see the original x men cast in more films
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    First Class contradicted the original trilogy in several ways, and it's never been explained. I previously treated First Class as more of a reboot than a prequel, but joining them together via DOFP makes the contradictions worse IMO.

The timeline also seems more of a mess now, eg:
    If there was an active Sentinel programme from 1973, then why were there no Sentinels in the original trilogy? And why was there such a big deal over the Mutant Registration Act when the Government already had Sentinels capable of instantly detecting mutants at distance?

- When/how did Logan get his adamantium claws back, given that he lost them and had bone claws at the end of Wolverine?

- When/how did Xavier get a new body identical to the one that Jean destroyed? All we saw at the end of X-Men 3 was that he sent his mind into a coma patient of Moira (who of course was the Scottish geneticist version of Moira and not the American CIA agent version from First Class)

The post-credits scene from The Wolverine also does not seem to fit with DOFP.

As much as I enjoyed it, I don't think it's as good as X-Men 2 or First Class.

I agree about the post credits scene in The Wolverine.

I have to say I never really enjoyed X-Men 2.

I'll answer your other points in spoilers.
    RE: The Sentinels, I just like to think that they were invented just not used except in extreme circumstances and when Magneto invaded Alcatraz they didn't have enough time to initiate them. The X-Men knew about them as there was the Sentinel head in the Danger Room.

I thought Wolverine's claws were bone in the past and future timelines?? I don't remember seeing them covered in metal at any point and I was checking.

I do agree about Xavier getting his body back. What I meant by my original comment really was that they were both able to continue separately and well, because it's better to have Jean and Scott alongside Storm.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saigo wrote: »
    What is that about? Its a little tiresome. Is it for the little girls in the audience?

Every movie has to have sex and nudity now, even if it's diluted to PG-13, it's to attract the perv crowd. I assume Jennifer Lawrence leaves little to the imagination.

Don't care about the high rotten tomato score, this film is a rent for me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dmuk wrote: »
    Every movie has to have sex and nudity now, even if it's diluted to PG-13, it's to attract the perv crowd. I assume Jennifer Lawrence leaves little to the imagination.

Don't care about the high rotten tomato score, this film is a rent for me.

Oh no, you should definitely see it at the cinema!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh no, you should definitely see it at the cinema!!

Nah, a lot of what I am hearing and reading is putting me off and doesn't correlate to the high scores it is getting. Way too many characters and over complicated plot for example.

Plus I'm not sitting in a darkened theatre with a bunch of 13 year olds on half holidays hollering at the screen when Mystique shows up. I can wait for the bluray.
  • shoestring25shoestring25 Posts: 4,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    im going to go see it at the cinema i dont go by reviews i go by what my mates rate it as, and they say its awesome ! so cinema it is then :) i love the days of future past story line so i hope i like it
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    I saw this today. I wasn't blown away by it and found it a but .. meh!

I expected to because there is no way you can take a story that lasts a few issues and cram it all into an 2 or 3 hour film.

I really suggest it's not worth waiting until the end for the stinger. Bugger all of interest happens. Wait for it to appear on Youtube. It is at the end, the very end, after every sodding credit regardless of whether they are needed or not. Camera trainee. Really? Even if I was in the film industry why would I need to know who the camera trainee was? Did he actually film a scene or just check the lens cap was off or the batteries were charged?

We already know that there will be another film, please let it be the last one. X-Men 3: The Last Stand, X-Men: First Class and now this one shows that they can't make good X-Men films.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I expected to because there is no way you can take a story that lasts a few issues and cram it all into an 2 or 3 hour film.

I really suggest it's not worth waiting until the end for the stinger. Bugger all of interest happens. Wait for it to appear on Youtube. It is at the end, the very end, after every sodding credit regardless of whether they are needed or not. Camera trainee. Really? Even if I was in the film industry why would I need to know who the camera trainee was? Did he actually film a scene or just check the lens cap was off or the batteries were charged?

We already know that there will be another film, please let it be the last one. X-Men 3: The Last Stand, X-Men: First Class and now this one shows that they can't make good X-Men films.

I think most people would disagree about First Class. Why did you go if you expected not to enjoy it much and after not liking the two films it's a sequel to?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nah, a lot of what I am hearing and reading is putting me off and doesn't correlate to the high scores it is getting. Way too many characters and over complicated plot for example.

Plus I'm not sitting in a darkened theatre with a bunch of 13 year olds on half holidays hollering at the screen when Mystique shows up. I can wait for the bluray.

The plot's not complicated at all if you pay attention. Go to an adults oh screening if the kids bother you.
  • redtuxredtux Posts: 1,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well the stinger means a lot more,if like me your into the source comics (like Thanos in Avengers)
  • redtuxredtux Posts: 1,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree about the post credits scene in The Wolverine.

I have to say I never really enjoyed X-Men 2.

Further info on spoliers (in italics)
    I'll answer your other points in spoilers.
    RE: The Sentinels, I just like to think that they were invented just not used except in extreme circumstances and when Magneto invaded Alcatraz they didn't have enough time to initiate them. The X-Men knew about them as there was the Sentinel head in the Danger Room.

It was stated in the movie that the dangerous Sentinels of the future had been developed over decades

I thought Wolverine's claws were bone in the past and future timelines?? I don't remember seeing them covered in metal at any point and I was checking.

There were adamantium in the future, you saw when he had a fit and injured Kitty

I do agree about Xavier getting his body back. What I meant by my original comment really was that they were both able to continue separately and well, because it's better to have Jean and Scott alongside Storm.

Not explained but left open. In the comics they did it by the Shiar cloning a fresh body

Loved it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    redtux wrote: »
    Further info on spoliers (in italics)

Loved it
    I distinctly remember them being bone when he got out of the jet AND when he injured Kitty.

Also, they were developed, doesn't mean they were used all the time (although I agree I think it was alluded to.

How long until we can discuss spoilers openly? 2 weeks? 3?!
  • abigail1234abigail1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a big Game of Thrones fan, I stumbled across another reason to see it: Peter Dinklage is in it: :o
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    @ JamieHT and redtux:
    Sentinels: It doesn't make any sense to me that they would have 8 functional Sentinels, with advanced mutant tracking systems, plus activate the actual programme itself in response to Trask's death, only to then never use them until sometime after the original trilogy.

Logan's claws: They were definitely Adamantium in the future.

I don't actually mind the claw issue. It's a lot easier to assume that Logan got another Adamantium treatment than Xavier got himself a nice new identical body.
  • Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    When/how did Logan get his adamantium claws back, given that he lost them and had bone claws at the end of Wolverine?
    Logan definitely had metal claws in the future. There were scenes (whilst he was led on the table) and they came out. They sure as hell weren't bone. :)

I'd imagine Stryker does, somehow manage to get ahold of him and the procedure goes ahead.
    When/how did Xavier get a new body identical to the one that Jean destroyed? All we saw at the end of X-Men 3 was that he sent his mind into a coma patient of Moira (who of course was the Scottish geneticist version of Moira and not the American CIA agent version from First Class)
    The timeline was reset?
    They went back into the past, stopped all the shit from happening in the future, thus Jean never kills Charles, thus his body isn't vaporized. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flash525 wrote: »
    Logan definitely had metal claws in the future. There were scenes (whilst he was led on the table) and they came out. They sure as hell weren't bone. :)

I'd imagine Stryker does, somehow manage to get ahold of him and the procedure goes ahead.

The timeline was reset?
    They went back into the past, stopped all the shit from happening in the future, thus Jean never kills Charles, thus his body isn't vaporized. :)
    No. He already had the body before they went back in time.
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member

Hollering? Do we say that here now? :S I never understand what dive of a cinema people must go to when they say things like this. I mean, I've noticed an annoying person at the cinema before, but 99% of the time, everyone is quiet once the film is on, though if you get annoyed by the occasional rustle of popcorn, then yeah it's probably not for you! Having said that about annoying people, I've never heard people actually 'hollering' at the screen once the film is on, must be some really annoying and rude people where you are!

As for the criticism, you have your own mind, therefore, if you are a fan of the series, you should see it ;) I actually agree with most of the criticism in this thread, but I think you are taking it the wrong way (someone even said they'd see it again for example)- I think it's more that it's a great and enjoyable film with some flaws, rather than a bad film. That's how I took most of the comments in this thread anyway, and as I said, I agree with most of them, but I still found this a total riot, despite the odd flaw.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    I think most people would disagree about First Class. Why did you go if you expected not to enjoy it much and after not liking the two films it's a sequel to?

I think Firs Class and Last Stand are OK but not blown away by them, the same as this one. I would put First Class above this one.

The problem with this film the forthcoming Avengers 2, Batman vs Superman and likely many more of these comic book movies IMO is trying to do too much.

Main problem 1 (IMO)

They have to try and do something big or bigger each time trying to top the last one. The result is they often fall short, continuity errors, plot holes and so forth.

X3: TLS they thought lets really go for it have big mutant battles and so forth it will be amazing, the result was lots of people said it's crap or not very good.

They do a reboot. Fine, it's an OK (IMO) film, Let's do another. Fine. I know lets get the casts from both franchises all in one film... Too much, trying to go too big.

Main Problem 2 (IMO)

Trying to please and play to the comics fans by using too many characters. Spiderman 1 (Spidey vs. Green Goblin) Spiderman 2 (Spidey vs. Dock Ock)
    Then Spiderman 3 they went wrong. It started off as Spderman vs Sandman. That was working and could be built on and then they throw in Venom for no logical reason in the story. Suddenly Sandman is forgotten until the final battle. Which they then decide to throw in Harry Osbourne into the mix as well. Spiderman 3 was supposed to be, bigger, better but the film wasn't well received.

Xmen 3: The Last Stand - Juggernaught is a major villain in the X-Men universe. They put him in it and he is wasted. His character brought nothing to the fim that an originally created mutant fror the purposes of the film would have done.

CA2: TWS - It's the new Captain America film.. No it's a new Cap and Black Widow film, oh and for no real reason lets throw in The Falcon. The he film is called The Winter Soldier and he wasn't hardly in the film. It was more, who killed NF and who is the rogue in SHIELD.

TASM (one villain The Lizard, it workd. Not a great film but it worked) TASM 2 (Electro (start strong then dropped midway until the end.... and then throw in a Power Rangers looking Rhino. He didn't need to be in that film. Once again put something on so when it hits the internet before the film is released the fans get excited.

Batman vs Superman. That is enough so obviously we need toad Wonder Woman too. Why? Yes I know they want to do a JLA film. That's fine, but why not give her, her own film and build her properly? She is taking screen time from the other two, you know the two main characters, the people in the film title, the two people want to see going at it.

This film had some characters that were added or brought back that were wasted and as far as I could tell were there purely for the fans of the comics to say wow that's xxxxx so cool. They didn't get enough screen time to bring anything to the film storywise.

The next Avengers film They have all the Avengers returning. Fine. They have added Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver. Ok they are Avengers, that's fair enough. One if a good character, fine. But for them to be in it, who from the first film is going to get bumped and have less screen time? Likely as in the first film Hawkeye again.

For the next X-Men film they need to start getting brave and not using lots of new characters for the sake of getting them on the screen and more importantly be brave enough to ditch some of the existing one. The first that has to go is Magneto. His story is done or at least needs a rest. The relationship/battle of Charles and Eric has been done. Time to drop or rest it. If Charles is in it, one or two scenes at the start, one or two at the end. Just like he often used to get in the comics when they first started. They need to drop Mystique for a while. And even more so time to drop Wolverine who really has hit overkill and his character is getting watered down.
    If you want to bring new people in, some people have to go. Keep the cast smaller and tighter. Have characters there for a reason.

This is why I say IMO they should stop doing X-Men films and Avengers after the next one. They seem to be trying to throw too many characters in for the sake of having them on screen for the comic book fans. Non-readers will have no idea who they are. It's not for their benefit.
    And also because they keep trying to do bigger and bigger stories but are keeping the running time the same. I know that there is a lot of love for this film but lets face it, the story is too big for the 135 minutes. In the same way they split a Harry Potter, Twilight and The Hunger Games films into two parts. In reality this film needed to be a two-parter. Doing it as a three like the way they have with The Hobbit and the other book knocked together into a trilogy of films would be two much. This needed to be a two-part film to get right. But they screwed it up by throwing as much as possible into a little over 2 hours.
  • Amanda_RaymondAmanda_Raymond Posts: 2,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the X-Men movies, I would like to see more spin off films, not just Wolverine ones. Mystique for certain, maybe Kitty Pryde as well
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    I love the X-Men movies, I would like to see more spin off films, not just Wolverine ones. Mystique for certain, maybe Kitty Pryde as well

We'll there was talk recently of a Mystique movie but that's probably just Fox trying to cash in on Jennifer Lawrence.