Options

Who will you vote for in the GE 7 May 2015?

Comments

• Options
    MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't know, I'm kind of hoping The Pirate Party will be standing in my area this time around.
  • Options
    Camp FreddieCamp Freddie Posts: 1,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After over forty years of voting and seeing the same old, tired, left, right election after election, I intend to vote UKIP. I voted UKIP in the European elections and intended to vote Conservative in the GE but unless people give the career politicians in Westminster the kick up the arse they so desperately need, we will continue to get more of the same. I personally believe that the EU, as it is, will drag us down further and further into a beurocratic nightmare with more and more control being handed to the European parliament. All I want is a say on whether or not this country CHOOSES to remain in an organisation we were never asked if we wanted to join in the first place. I also wish to see the interests of my children and grandchildren put before the idealistic dream of a federal Europe. This year we are remembering the 100th anniversary of the start of World War 1 and the sacrifice hundreds of thousands of soldiers made to protect our way of life. Had they known how it would have been given away in such an underhanded manner, I wonder just how many would have bothered.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    This year we are remembering the 100th anniversary of the start of World War 1 and the sacrifice hundreds of thousands of soldiers made to protect our way of life. Had they known how it would have been given away in such an underhanded manner, I wonder just how many would have bothered.
    Our way of life hasn't been "given away" - what are you talking about?
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This year we are remembering the 100th anniversary of the start of World War 1 and the sacrifice hundreds of thousands of soldiers made to protect our way of life. Had they known how it would have been given away in such an underhanded manner, I wonder just how many would have bothered.

You clearly understand very little about why people fought in World War 1. I think it's in very poor taste to steal their sacrifice and twist it to your own ends - disgusting behaviour and you ought to apologise.
  • Options
    SoppyfanSoppyfan Posts: 29,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    It's interesting that the turnout (at the time of this post) will be greater than 98%, is this just DS members are more likely to vote or are there a lot of liars here?

Speaking of turnout, we all know that turnout dropped in 2001, I sense another big drop when it's May 7th since millions more have either lost all interest or have given up on politics altogether.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Styker wrote: »
    [/B]

I'm still unclear on about 3 things from that post of yours. How come you didn't vote Tory in 2010? I've been on this forum since just after the election of 2010 and your views on immigration/muslims, against Labour have always come across as right wing, and thats not me baiting you, its how I've taken your views to be. Were your views really different in 2010 or earlier?

Re the bib, what was the deal breaker and do you mean you disagreed with the Lib Dems on those matters and thas why your voting Tory now or you agreed with the Lib Dems on immigration/multiculturalism?

And who did you disagree with on the NHS?

I voted LibDem in 2010, as I didn't want any other party in with a majority (and still don't) and for the first time in my voting career a hung parliament looked inevitable. It's academic what I vote in my current constituency, as the sitting Labour MP has a large majority. I actually wanted a LibDem/Tory coalition, so was very pleased with the overall result.

My views on immigration and multiculturalism have become more entrenched in the last 4 years to a degree that no matter what, I cannot vote for the LibDems under any circumstances. On those specific issues, I am far nearer to UKIP, but would not vote for them as I do not believe them to be competent in any matter, and I don't wish to withdraw from the EU without an attempt at renegotiation first.

The Tories are too pro multicultural, too soft on immigration, too clumsy in some of their welfare reforms, but for me they are the least worst option.

I don't agree with any of the parties on the NHS. I would scrap it and replace with a mixture of private/not-for-profit/charity provision funded from an obligatory insurance fund topped up by the state for those who could not afford it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    Our way of life hasn't been "given away" - what are you talking about?

Take a trip a couple of miles up the road to me and you will see exactly how it has been given away.
  • Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CelticMyth wrote: »
    I don't know. Maybe an Independent. My vote is meaningless in my ultra safe seat.

I loathe FPTP though and may treat it with the contempt it deserves by not voting.

Vote against the Tory and let those canvassing why. There were some Labour who were defending FPTP so check before voting. LinDem and UKIP were pretty solidly Yes to AV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After over forty years of voting and seeing the same old, tired, left, right election after election, I intend to vote UKIP. I voted UKIP in the European elections and intended to vote Conservative in the GE but unless people give the career politicians in Westminster the kick up the arse they so desperately need, we will continue to get more of the same. I personally believe that the EU, as it is, will drag us down further and further into a beurocratic nightmare with more and more control being handed to the European parliament. All I want is a say on whether or not this country CHOOSES to remain in an organisation we were never asked if we wanted to join in the first place. I also wish to see the interests of my children and grandchildren put before the idealistic dream of a federal Europe. This year we are remembering the 100th anniversary of the start of World War 1 and the sacrifice hundreds of thousands of soldiers made to protect our way of life. Had they known how it would have been given away in such an underhanded manner, I wonder just how many would have bothered.

I sympathise with your frustration, but UKIP is not the answer. They would just trash the country.

Stick to the Tories.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    CelticMyth wrote: »
    I don't know. Maybe an Independent. My vote is meaningless in my ultra safe seat.

I loathe FPTP though and may treat it with the contempt it deserves by not voting.

If you're dissatisfied with either the candidate choice or the crude electoral system then I'd suggest an active response by way of a spoiled ballot paper (done that before) since that officially records the discontent.
  • Options
    RichievillaRichievilla Posts: 6,179
    Forum Member
    I cannot vote for the nasty party (coupled with my local mp being, imo, a waste of space) so that is Labour out.
    I cannot vote for the extremely nasty party as they are almost as incompetent as Labour and significantly nastier (and their candidate has already shown that she either does not keep her promises or is so slow that she will never get anywhere) so that is the Tories out.
    I cannot vote for a party which offers, imo, very little apart from opposition to HS2 so that is UKIP out.
    I am not a racist so that is the BNP out.
    I have a spine so that is the Lib Dems out.

That leaves me with spoiling my ballot paper unless the Greens (or even OMRLP) stand as they at least have some of the decency and values that I look for.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    I cannot vote for the nasty party (coupled with my local mp being, imo, a waste of space) so that is Labour out.
    I cannot vote for the extremely nasty party as they are almost as incompetent as Labour and significantly nastier (and their candidate has already shown that she either does not keep her promises or is so slow that she will never get anywhere) so that is the Tories out.
    I cannot vote for a party which offers, imo, very little apart from opposition to HS2 so that is UKIP out.
    I am not a racist so that is the BNP out.
    I have a spine so that is the Lib Dems out.

That leaves me with spoiling my ballot paper unless the Greens (or even OMRLP) stand as they at least have some of the decency and values that I look for.

There has been some talk of a group of medical doctors standing under the Save The NHS banner in a number of constituencies but it remains to be seen how widespread that option will be.
  • Options
    RichievillaRichievilla Posts: 6,179
    Forum Member
    There has been some talk of a group of medical doctors standing under the Save The NHS banner in a number of constituencies but it remains to be seen how widespread that option will be.

They would certainly be worth considering, especially after the fantastic service that I received from every one of the many doctors/nurses/health care assistants/therapists during my 6 week stay in hospital last year.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    trevgo wrote: »
    Take a trip a couple of miles up the road to me and you will see exactly how it has been given away.

A rather cryptic comment, but it seems that our way of life hasn't been "given away" where you live then. Not where I live either, nor a lot of other places I visit. So it probably hasn't happened.
  • Options
    MoxeyMoxey Posts: 1,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I sympathise with your frustration, but UKIP is not the answer. They would just trash the country.

Stick to the Tories.

The zeal of the convert.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    A rather cryptic comment, but it seems that our way of life hasn't been "given away" where you live then. Not where I live either, nor a lot of other places I visit. So it probably hasn't happened.

Oh, it's happened all right. It's just that I have the wealth to run away from it. And as it encroaches, I shall continue to.

My difference is that I sympathise with those who do not have the means to escape. Nor do I tell them that it is for the best, and they should embrace it. I leave such arrogance to The Left.
  • Options
    redtuxredtux Posts: 1,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paul2307 wrote: »
    I'm glad your parents are still alive but they must in their 100s to have any memory of the 20s

I'm not saying the Conservatives are perfect either but I have clear memories of the 60s and 70s and Wison or Callaghan had no hint of ability about them , they were disasters for the country , don't forget you couldn't even get buried if you were dead under Callaghan and no Heath wasn't a lot better , a lot of people are happy to demonize Thatcher but no one seems to remember the country was a basket case when she came to power , maybe she didn't do everything right but the country was a lot healthier when she went than it was before
    Well both the 80's and 90's reccessions were far worse.

UK was NOT a basket case in the 70s, a far better place to live than the 80s

Thatcher destroyed this country
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This poll is quite useful as it really shows the difference between the average poster in this forum and the general public.

Also it demonstrates how useless self-selecting polls are, so all those Sun Reader polls mean nothing.
  • Options
    paul2307paul2307 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    redtux wrote: »
    Well both the 80's and 90's reccessions were far worse.

UK was NOT a basket case in the 70s, a far better place to live than the 80s

Thatcher destroyed this country

What planet are you living on ? I remember the 70s and it was no picnic , it wasn't the glory that some people think it was unless of course you want us to go back to the dark ages
  • Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,592
    Forum Member
    Surprised and pleased to see the Greens are getting a few hits
  • Options
    warlordwarlord Posts: 3,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They would certainly be worth considering, especially after the fantastic service that I received from every one of the many doctors/nurses/health care assistants/therapists during my 6 week stay in hospital last year.

Nationalised monopolies have generally proved to be a bad idea, and the NHS finds ways of wasting money that no private company would tolerate. In Cardiff a surgeon has been suspended on full pay for over two years after allegations of bullying.
  • Options
    andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    It has to be UKIP for me:

– UKIP will cut the foreign aid budget by £9bn pa, prioritising disaster relief and schemes which provide water and inoculation against preventable diseases.

– UKIP will leave the EU and save at least £8bn pa in net contributions.

– We will introduce a 35p income tax rate between £42,285 and £55,000, whereupon the 40p rate becomes payable.

– UKIP will scrap the HS2 project which is uneconomical and unjustified.

– Child benefit for the first three children only.

– No benefits for anyone who has not lived in the UK for five years.

It seems they are the only ones who get what the people want.
  • Options
    andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    Also, if UKIP are so popular here, why is Farage 50 to 1 to become next prime minister, should he be favourite or at least amongst the favourites?

http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/next-prime-minister
  • Options
    BlairdennonBlairdennon Posts: 14,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I voted LibDem in 2010, as I didn't want any other party in with a majority (and still don't) and for the first time in my voting career a hung parliament looked inevitable. It's academic what I vote in my current constituency, as the sitting Labour MP has a large majority. I actually wanted a LibDem/Tory coalition, so was very pleased with the overall result.

My views on immigration and multiculturalism have become more entrenched in the last 4 years to a degree that no matter what, I cannot vote for the LibDems under any circumstances. On those specific issues, I am far nearer to UKIP, but would not vote for them as I do not believe them to be competent in any matter, and I don't wish to withdraw from the EU without an attempt at renegotiation first.

The Tories are too pro multicultural, too soft on immigration, too clumsy in some of their welfare reforms, but for me they are the least worst option.

I don't agree with any of the parties on the NHS. I would scrap it and replace with a mixture of private/not-for-profit/charity provision funded from an obligatory insurance fund topped up by the state for those who could not afford it.

WE had a renegotiation in 75 which renegotiated very little and was presented as new terms and a good deal for Britain. Any renegotiation will be presented as a good deal after hours/days/weeks/months of hard and meaningful negotiations which at the end of the day will mean nothing. It will be an exercise in whitewash and subterfuge fitting for the supranational grab that is almost complete. You cannot renegotiate the terms of a group that has a vision of Europe as a single political and monetary body as its end result, you may postpone but you will not change it. You either accept it for what it wants to be or campaign to leave now.
  • Options
    StykerStyker Posts: 49,871
    Forum Member

Ok, just out of interest, if it was up to you, what would be the immigration laws?