Options

is it time for a new family Christmas movie?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Theo_BearTheo_Bear Posts: 997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Muppet Christmas Carol is now out on Blu-ray in the US. Best Christmas family film ever. Sadly it's still the butchered cut without "When Love is Gone". The 4.5GB rip I've just seen doesn't look half as good as the film did on CH4 HD last year. Very disappointed with Disney.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 354
    Forum Member
    Nah not bothered I normally just watch Elf, The Santa Claus, Muppet Christmas Carol and It's a Wonderful Life on Repeat.
  • Options
    shirlt9shirlt9 Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    National Lampoons Christmas Vacation is the best Christmas movie ever..we even have Christmas decorations on our tree with the Griswolds on and another that says Sh##'ers Full!!!!!

This is closely followed by Nativity...I love that film it makes me feel so happy...Sparkle and Shine...hope the follow up lives up to the first.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theo_Bear wrote: »
    The Muppet Christmas Carol is now out on Blu-ray in the US. Best Christmas family film ever.

Amen.
    Theo_Bear wrote: »
    Sadly it's still the butchered cut without "When Love is Gone".

You've actually ruined my evening! :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    My Christmas traditions are:

Miracle on 34th Street - Both versions but the original is still the best.
    The Santa Clause - Like the sequels but the first is still the best.
    White Christmas - Classic
    A Muppet Christmas Carol - Great film for all the family
    Scrooge - An underated musical

It would be good to have another new family Christmas film but I think they are really hard to do. If you get it right it's great, but get it wrong and it's too sickly, schmaltzy and generally nauseating.
  • Options
    Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    Smerph wrote: »
    Define "Christmas film" and we'll let you know. It's as much as a Christmas film as Home Alone, IMHO.
    I define a Christmas film as one in which Christmas is a theme rather than an incidental backdrop or setting. I can't remember how integral to Gremlins Christmas is, but it seems to be more than incidental in Home Alone. Alvin and the Chipmunks springs to mind as a film set at Christmas which I don't class as a Christmas film as the Christmas element is just on the wrong side of the sliding scale of importance to the film. Or cos it's shit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My Christmas traditions are:

Miracle on 34th Street - Both versions but the original is still the best.
    The Santa Clause - Like the sequels but the first is still the best.
    White Christmas - Classic
    A Muppet Christmas Carol - Great film for all the family
    Scrooge - An underated musical

It would be good to have another new family Christmas film but I think they are really hard to do. If you get it right it's great, but get it wrong and it's too sickly, schmaltzy and generally nauseating.
    Funnily enough none of those feature in our Christmas movie list. I don't think I've even seen Miracle on 34th Street or White Christmas. :o

Ours is

Elf
    Home Alone 1 & 2
    Deck the Halls
    Nativity!
    Shrek the Halls
    Ice Age Mammoth Christmas
    It's a Wonderful Life

Arthur Christmas may well be added to that list now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't remember how integral to Gremlins Christmas is, but it seems to be more than incidental in Home Alone .

Home Alone is set at Christmas and has Christmas songs. That's pretty much it really. It would take about an hour for a decent writer to shove it into Easter, for example.

Gremlins ticks the same boxes.

I watch both in December - along with the first two Die Hards. Both of them are often claimed to not be Christmas movies, but they're as Christmassy as Gremlins and Home Alone.

Only stuff about Santa, the navitity (!) or Christmas Carol adaptations are really *about* Christmas, most films just use it as a backdrop for the story. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Smerph wrote: »
    Home Alone is set at Christmas and has Christmas songs. That's pretty much it really. It would take about an hour for a decent writer to shove it into Easter, for example.

Gremlins ticks the same boxes.

I watch both in December - along with the first two Die Hards. Both of them are often claimed to not be Christmas movies, but they're as Christmassy as Gremlins and Home Alone.

Only stuff about Santa, the navitity (!) or Christmas Carol adaptations are really *about* Christmas, most films just use it as a backdrop for the story. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
    Yeah you're probably right actually now I think about it. (And that wouldn't even take an hour! :D)

Still, it's been on my Christmas films list for as long as I can remember and long may it continue.
  • Options
    gorsewaygirlgorsewaygirl Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    Home alone 1 and 2, Miracle on 34th street and The Muppet Crimas Carol are must watch Christmas movies for me, but The Polar Express and Nativity are the best recent Chrismas movies both are awesome and well worth watching - and I do over and over!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These are the films we watch every Christmas:

The Family Stone
    The Polar Express
    Christmas With The Kranks
    It's A Wonderful Life
    Die Hard
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    The Christmas films we normally watch are

1. Scrooged
    2. Elf
    3. Home Alone 2 (just for the big Xmas tree in New York!)
    4. The Holiday
    5. Love Actually
    6. Bad Santa